Re: Guinea Pigs for the new R7000 firmware version 1.0.9.88

yddtime
Luminary

Guinea Pigs for the new R7000 firmware version 1.0.9.88

I certainly hope this is the version that will address the connection issues. The download isn't there yet but I assume it will be shortly.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NEW-R7000-FW-Version-1-0-9-88/m-p/1768674#M1...

As they say, once bitten - twice shy. After the fiasco with 1.0.9.64 I'm hesitant to try this firmware because I need my network to be up to be able to work from home.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 22
IrvSp
Master

I take it as a 'warning' that they are sunsetting some features, and if you want to keep using them, do NOT update.

Me, I'd do 2 things before installing:

• Read the README to see what is fixed.
  • Check here to see how others are doing with it?

Then and only then decide if you want to try it.

On a positve side it sems NG has started or will start to drop new f/w (R8000 has HOTFIXes out for instance now), so maybe, just maybe they got problems resolved and have confidence to move forward releasing new f/w.

Message 2 of 22
yddtime
Luminary

@IrvSp wrote:
  • Read the README to see what is fixed.

I went to the download page looking for the release notes before I started this thread but it's not there yet.

@IrvSp wrote:

That's what this thread is for.

Message 3 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

I take it as a 'warning' that they are sunsetting some features, and if you want to keep using them, do NOT update.

This fiasco is pre-programmed - can't wait for user wondering why this or that no longer works. The discussion about dropping e.g. Time Machine support is opened under the announcement already - there would be smarter solutions feasible.

@IrvSp wrote:

On a positve side it sems NG has started or will start to drop new f/w (R8000 has HOTFIXes out for instance now), so maybe, just maybe they got problems resolved and have confidence to move forward releasing new f/w.

Not sure of calling the fire brigades to get rid of the fire is is better than doing good requirement engineering. 8-)

Message 4 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@yddtime wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

That's what this thread is for.

Surely you jest, Smiley LOL

How many threads were opened on V1.0.9.64? How many people with problems looked for answers before posting?

Message 5 of 22
yddtime
Luminary

That's exactly why I wanted to start a thread early. Hopefully we can redirect everyone to one place for issues and solutions for this version so we don't have to repeat the same replies in dozens of threads. Yeah, it's wishful thinking but it's worth a try.
Message 6 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

Not sure of calling the fire brigades to get rid of the fire is is better than doing good requirement engineering. 8-)

I guess I'm an optimist? There are too many common problems on routers. It has to be either poor code implementation or broken subroutines. Having the 'team' stop and go back and analyze the problems, scour the code, and fix things and do NOT ship until tested and verified takes time. I've seen no new code for a period of time when they used to drop code weekly over the many routers. Now after a halt for some period of time, R8000 HOTFIXes are released. What I would call are warnings of R7000, R7900P, and R800P releases soon to ship are indicators that a 'stop and let us review what we have done' happened. Also those included warnings of "we need to end-of-life (EOL) the following legacy, often less-used, features" seem to 'hint' at a redesign has happened. This too, "In order to bring you new, highly requested features, such as smart parental controls" sort of implies that the code needed to be streamlined. If for no other reason to remove dead code (note the wording about Downloader) and who knows what new 'requested' features they are going to add? One thing stuck out to me, the "Parental Controls" (even Smart implying Circle is dumb?). More I think to have something built-in so you don't have to pay for it after a year maybe?

We'll see, time will tell.

Message 7 of 22
myersw
Master

Wonder why some features are being sunset. Too hard to support anymore, or is the image getting too big so they have to drop features? 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 22
yddtime
Luminary

I'm all for reducing the feature set. Maybe I'm just being selfish because I don't use any of the soon to be deprecated features. I'm hoping more effort can be made towards making the core features work as intended.
Message 9 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

Wonder why some features are being sunset. Too hard to support anymore, or is the image getting too big so they have to drop features? 

We might never know? Could be those figured into some end-user problems?

I've not got my R7000 connected, but I guess a quick look at DEBUG.HTM might tell you if it was running out of room. Still, no mention of what the new features would be and how large?

My R8000 shows some data, seems to have plenty of space. Probably can't go over 1/2 as it needs d/l space  for updating.

Memory Usage (Used/Total)

69MB/249MB

Flash Usage (Used/Total)

8MB/128MB

Message 10 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@yddtime wrote:
I'm all for reducing the feature set. Maybe I'm just being selfish because I don't use any of the soon to be deprecated features. I'm hoping more effort can be made towards making the core features work as intended.

Not clear totally what they will be deprecating?

============

we need to end-of-life (EOL) the following legacy, often less-used, features: iTunesServer, Kwilt Photosharing, Time Machine Backup, TiVo support for media sharing, and Downloader feature (which was in beta).

============

Can't even be sure that is or will be the entire list? First, how do they 'know' it is 'less-used'? I've seen a lot of problem reports of 'Time Machine Backup' problems? I thought this TM just used a USB drive to store its back-up on? But it seems the really mean Apple Filing Profile will be removed. They might be in for a surprise if they do that. It seems AFP or SMB  is used by Time Machine? Netgear has not implented WSD either, so they will 'break' some folks for sure. I've seen posts on Kwilt as well. DOWNLOAD, may be used, but they mention BETA so it might be the wiggle way out of keeping it.

I really would like to know the true reason? Could even be a license situation, nothing more, and 'words' put around it implying new features to deflect the noise.

Message 11 of 22
chert
Apprentice

Message 12 of 22
chert
Apprentice

@yddtime wrote:

I certainly hope this is the version that will address the connection issues. The download isn't there yet but I assume it will be shortly.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NEW-R7000-FW-Version-1-0-9-88/m-p/1768674#M1...

As they say, once bitten - twice shy. After the fiasco with 1.0.9.64 I'm hesitant to try this firmware because I need my network to be up to be able to work from home.

I don't know why many of you are having problems with 1.0.9.64.

I've been using this firmware for almost 5 months now and haven't encountered any of the issues people are saying in various threads about this.

Actually, I only have one issue and that is a bug in the settings which doesn't allow the WPS PIN to be disabled.

That's why I'm looking forward to this new 1.0.9.88 firmware since it's already been 5 months since the last one.

Message 13 of 22
IrvSp
Master

Yes, many people had no problem.

Are they the majority? Who knows?

Are all R7000's made equal? No, they are not. Many have different power supplies, and are made in different countries it seems.

How rigorous was NG's testing? Unknown?

Is it specific settings and/or combinations of them? Who knows.

My R7000 started having problems after putting V1.0.9.60 on it. It would turn-off randomly days apart. It was on a UPS so it couldn't have been power related? Did the f/w cause it? Back leveled f/w to .42 but the problems didn't go away.

No matter what, there are serious problems with the R7000 V1.0.9.64, and the prior one, V1.0.9.60 as NG put out the .64 release very fast to correct some of the .60 created problems.

Netgear (and other vendors) do not post a known problem list, even MS doesn't do that but they do list what isn't fixed (or known to possibly happen) on the releases at least. One would think testing a router would be easier than an OS, but it appears not? Either Netgear does a poor job or it is more complex, probably due to the number of possible combinations of settings and hardware that can be connected to it?

Message 14 of 22
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

One would think testing a router would be easier than an OS, but it appears not? Either Netgear does a poor job or it is more complex, probably due to the number of possible combinations of settings and hardware that can be connected to it?

With all the various combinations that the end user can/will create I suspect it is very difficult to test a router OS other then the basics of Wifi support, Ethernet support as well as routing. Problem, as I see it, is they are not addressing the basics which should just work. Should never see an Ethernet issue for example, yet we do. If you cannot provide solid wifi and Ethernet connections there is a BIG problem with their testing. The R7000 have been around a long time, and at one time was a workhorse that just worked. It really is a shame that they have ruined a very good router. The later firmware updates have turned a very capable router in to a pile of steaming sh&*.  

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 15 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

With all the various combinations that the end user can/will create I suspect it is very difficult to test a router OS other then the basics of Wifi support, Ethernet support as well as routing. Problem, as I see it, is they are not addressing the basics which should just work. Should never see an Ethernet issue for example, yet we do.

Bill, you are taking a myopic view. What is a 'basic Wifi support'? Just putting out the radio SSID and no other options?

I'm thinking here in no particular order:

• QoS
  • Traffic Meter (number of devices could impact throughput and performance and cause other problems)
  • IPv6 on (can have its own set of problems)
  • Port Forwarding
  • Remote Access
  • SSID channels (some may not even work in all countries as not allowed)
  • Possible channel interference
  • Security uses
  • Device capability and if older drivers are used
  • Guest enabled
  • Blocked sites enabled
  • Blocked Services enabled
  • Access Control enabled
  • Beam Forming enabled
  • Fragmentation length changed from default
  • CTS/RTS Threshold changed from default
  • Preamble Mode changed from default
  • Port triggering enabled
  • VPN enabled
  • UPnP on
  • VLAN/IPTV enabled
  • ISP speed even

Any of those can have some sort of effect on the Internet signal and may have some effect on the wireless signal. Some combinations may more than others.

Assume one can make a case only 1/2 of those might cause a problem to wireless, imagine trying to build test cases to handle all possible combinations, include various devices?

I've reviewed problem reports and tried to figure out how 'we' missed them. It isn't easy to figure out without seeing the actual code fix as well.

I do think Netgear does/did a poor job testing, especially Regression testing, but without 'eyes on the ground' it is pure speculation.

I do agree, compared to an OS, this should be an easier task.

How many reports here have you seen where every change they made from default is listed?

Message 16 of 22
R7000headache
Aspirant

I'm not optimistic. I've updated and it reboots each time I run a speed test.
Message 17 of 22
yddtime
Luminary

Ran ok for about 12 hours so I added some DHCP reservations and then all hell broke loose. Lost all 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz was unstable with most devices getting on and disconnecting after a few minutes.

I think there is a buffer overflow somewhere with the device name management that's wacking out portions of memory.

I can't afford to mess with this anymore as I need a stable network to work from home. Good luck to everyone here who chooses to stick it out to the bitter end. I've given up. I'm running an Asus RT-AC86U now. 

Message 18 of 22
Aqualung1
Luminary

Guinea pig here. 88 worked fine for 24 hrs., after which it died. Slightly more stable than 60 and 64, but that's not saying much. Still garbage. They still didn't plug the memory leak. It's back to 42 for me.

Message 19 of 22
IrvSp
Master

@Aqualung1, you claim a memory leak? How do you know that, just curious?

The R7000 has a debug page. DEBUG.HTM. Just append that in place of any .HTM page you are on for the router. Like http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm for instance. On the page is the memory line near the top, Memory Usage (Used/Total). If you had a true memory leak, the number for Used should be climbing, and if it reaches the total might cause a crash. Are they close to the same for you?

Message 20 of 22
antinode
Guru

> The R7000 has a debug page. DEBUG.HTM. [...]

No, it's "debug.htm".  It's a case-sensitive file system, and the web
server doesn't try to work around it.

Message 21 of 22
IrvSp
Master

I used the capitalization to emphasize it. That is why in the next sentence I used the proper way.

Sorry for the confusion I might have caused.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E