Highlighted
Aspirant

HELP PLEASE - AC5000 crashed and now stuck in startup mode

Hi,

My AC5000 Nighthawk router seems to have crashed today. 

It seems stuck in the startup loop where the power light is amber, antenna lights are on periodically and occasionally all the lights turn white but nothing else seems to happen and it keeps going back to amber light 

I tried starting it while holding the reset button and tried pinging it from a laptop connected to the LAN port but neither worked.

I am using it for work and am pretty much stuck without it .

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tal

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted

Re: HELP PLEASE - AC5000 crashed and now stuck in startup mode

Greetings,

We are familiar with this behavior.

Flashing/solid white or amber power LED.

Causes:

Router has not fully booted

Bad or corrupt firmware

Problem with the power adapter or damaged hardware

The most common is bad / corrupt firmware.  This is often caused by a firmware update (automatic or manual) that didn't complete or go as planned. 

Second to this might be hardware failure due to power event (surge or brownout)

The first thing to try is resetting the device using the reset button located on the back of the device.

If this doesn't help, reflashing the firmware is the next step.

Grab the FW file you want to flash for your model from the support portal Be sure to unzip the file after download.

Then use these instructions for TFTP Reflash

If you get stuck or need assistance, just ask and someone here can help.  Don't worry about hurting the device. The procedure is safe.  

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.62 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you for your quick response. I tried folowing the flushing of firmware but unfortunately I am unable to ping the router while being connected to it (potentially because of the rebooting cycle?)

When I ping 192.168.1.1 I get replies some times and "timed out" other times

Any advice? 

Tal

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Master

Did you set a static IP address on the PC/MAC like in the tftp document? Sounds like you did not. Also the PC/MAC must be attached to the router via Ethernet cable into a LAN port. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted

@tabash

As @myersw has pointed out you are very close.

Its good to hear that you are getting one or more intermittent replies to PING, as this likely means you will be alble to reflash.

Don't be discouraged.  TFTP reflash is easy, but relies largely on timing, correct configuration and usage.  The "window of opportunity" where the router is actually listening for the TFTP command and reflash is brief while the router is starting.  If you miss it, you have to restart again.  The best thing to do is to get the command prompt window poised and ready so all you have to do is hit the enter key to execute.

Meanwhile you have a chance to keep an eye on the router while it restarts so you can time when to hit the enter key.  

Try again, you'll get it.

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. I did setup the static IP as instructed (192.168.1.10) and checked it using ipconfig

However pinging 192.168.1.1 mostly return timed out.

Tal

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted

Trying to PING the router is not in the steps. 

After setting a static IP on your computer.....

Open Command Prompt by typing “cmd” in the Windows search box.

1. Change the command prompt directory to your desktop. To change directory, type in cd desktop.
  2. Type in the command tftp -i [router IP] put [firmware filename].[file format]. Do NOT press Enter yet.
    1. Example: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R9000-V1.0.4.2.img

1. Unplug all port connections from router except the PC you are using to upload.
  2. Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.
  3. Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.
  4. Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.
  5. Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then start flashing.
  6. Count at least 10 flashing power LED and release the reset button.
  7. Press Enter to execute the TFTP command. Wait for a few minutes (be patient, do not reboot the router). When the upload is successful, the Power LED will turn solid. The rest of LED’s on the router will also turn ON indicating that the router has booted up properly.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements