HELP! Slow data transfer speeds over LAN

MedBrah
Aspirant

HELP! Slow data transfer speeds over LAN

Hey guys I need help as I've looked everywhere and I don't know what to do. I recently bought the Nighthawk R7900 and when I try and transfer files over LAN it starts off going normal speeds (20+mbps) then dwindles down after a few minutes to 120kbps. Not sure why this is happening. I'm sending files wirelessly from my Mac to my wired server, which is wired directly into my Nighthawk. I didn't have this problem with my old Asus RT‑AC68U so I know my Mac and server are able to send files at around 20mbps, and also since the file transfer begins at that speed and maintains it for a minute or so tells me it's not my computers. Any idea why I'm getting bottlenecked at my router? I exchanged the X6 for another one today thinking I may have had a bad model but the problem persists. Help please!

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
MedBrah
Aspirant

Re: HELP! Slow data transfer speeds over LAN

bump

I'd really appreciate some help

Message 2 of 14
MedBrah
Aspirant

bump any help? I've tried everything to no avail.. Is there some sort of setting or port forwarding I should set up to allow my devices to do a full speed data transfer or do I need a different router?

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Port forwarding doesn't apply,

Can you connect the mac via ethernet (so we can rule out whether it is ethernet or wifi)?

Message 4 of 14
MedBrah
Aspirant

Confirmed that the problem persists with ethernet connection. I tried it the other day and the same thing happens. I start my data transfer, it proceeds at normal speeds (about 20mbps) for a minute or so and then dwindles down to 120kbps. I can continuously stop and restart the transfer and eventually get my file transferred, but it's a huge pain.

Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Do you mean 20 megabytes per second or 20 megabits?  20 megabits seems very slow for ethernet file transfer (actually so does 20 megabytes).

Try a different port on the router, and perhaps a different cable to the server. 

Message 6 of 14
MedBrah
Aspirant

20 megabytes per second, is that out of proportion fast? I've been able to trasnfer at that speed for as long as I can remember. It's not downloading over internet, just a LAN transfer between computers using TeamViewer. I'll try a different ethernet cable and port on the router to see if that's the issue and report back.

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@MedBrah wrote:

20 megabytes per second, is that out of proportion fast?

SMB large file transfer with a new machine over gigabit ethernet is usually in the 80-100 MB/sec.  That's with Windows (or Windows -> Linux NAS), I don't own a Mac.

Message 8 of 14
MedBrah
Aspirant

Same issue with new cable and port.

Message 9 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@MedBrah wrote:

Same issue with new cable and port.

OK.  

Do you have any other ways to measure the speed?  (for instance creating a file share on the server)?

Do you consistent speeds when you use speedtest.net on the server?

Also, have you tested both reads and writes to the server?

Message 10 of 14
MedBrah
Aspirant

Speedtest shows 29 down/6 up, which is my normal connection. I'm not sure how I can check write/read speeds. Not sure if this helps but I tried transferring the file to both the SSD and the HDD within the server and the same problem happened so I know it's not a problem with my hard drives.

Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

The hard drive health is relevant, so that is worth confirming.

Does the server nic card have any settings for flow control?  If it does, make sure they are enabled.

Also if you have jumbo frames enabled (MTU greater than 1500 bytes), you should try disabling them.

You can't transfer files from the server back to the client?

Message 12 of 14
MedBrah
Aspirant

Sorry but I'm not super tech savvy so I don't know what an nic card is nor do I know what jumbo frames are. My server is a Lenovo Thinkserver TS440. Also, same problem when I try and transfer from server --> Mac.

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

NIC -> "network interface card".  It's the ethernet card in the lenovo.  If you run the device manager and look at the ethernet properties, you will find a bunch of settings.

I'm focused on the router->Lenovo connection because the problem happens both when the Mac is wired with ethernet and when it is using wifi.  

I suspect you haven't touched the default settings for your network - that says the issue isn't related to jumbo frames. 

But it could be related to the Lenovo ethernet settings.

Do you still have the old router?  It might be good to verify that the problem disappears with the old router.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E