Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HOW DO I make my router a repeater

dickclark7
Follower

HOW DO I make my router a repeater

I iwould like to make my Router a repeater so that I can utilize the older equipment to extend my network reception in my home.  I need detailed instructions on how to do this.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

A Mesh system is slightly different, but the overall concept is similar - in a mesh systems, the nodes communicate with each others and is no top-down hierarchy. And yes, you can use on router the same SSID as on the APs, it doesn't need to be different

mesh

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
microchip8
Master

you don't really want to do that. A better way is to use (multiple) access points connected to the router. Repeater will cut you wifi speed in half as it needs to be in constant contact back and forth with the main router it is repeating the signal of

Message 2 of 12
Eric_Cartman
Guide

@microchip
I have x 2Night hawk x7000 AC1900 RANGe
Extenders in RANGE extend mode.
If I hardwired these back to my router Night hawk x6 r8000 ac3200 and changed them to ACCESS POINTS should I get full bandwidth like I do when I do speed test right beside the router? Do they have the same wifi signal /power as a router like my x6 tri band router?
Message 3 of 12
microchip8
Master

In short, yes. The only downside of access points is, as you mentioned, you need to pull a cable. I've seen a lot of people that simply can't so their only option is either repeaters or powerline adapters

Message 4 of 12
Eric_Cartman
Guide

@microchip8

Cheers for advice

So just turned one of my Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900 into an Access Point from Extender and its a much better job. Great Signal from it needle on the speed test nearly went off the scale WAY BETTER than the Extender mode like you said ! So i put that on first floor

Speed test is allmost the same as holding my android above the X6 R8000

Well Impressed!

Might I pick your Brain ? Do Multiple Access Points Cause Interference with each other?

I was going to power up my spare Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900 as a second access point downstairs near garden . the reception is ok there no complaints ok speed, but would like to have massive speed all over or would another AP just start causing interfernce with the Nighthawk Router and Other AP

Nighthawk X6 R8000 AC 3200 Router

Nighthawk EX7000 AC1900 Access Points x 2
Message 5 of 12
microchip8
Master

They shouldn't interfere with each others. make sure to use a different channel on each AP. for 2.4 ghz, non-interfering channels are 1, 6 and 11. For 5 ghz you can use any you like. Use the same SSID on each AP

Message 6 of 12
Eric_Cartman
Guide

@microchip8

cheers for advice mate

Ok ill do that different channels

I actually have my R8000 Router and Ac1900's set at (Wifi Auto Channel) which is meant to pick the best Radio channels. Would you advise turning both my Nighthawk Router and APS of this Auto Radio Channel Setting?

Also just Curious What does Keeping the same SSID on both Access Points do? Does

I have my first AP as "Nighthawk_2.4_Access_Point_1"

I was going to call my second AP  "Nighthawk_2.4_Access_Point_2"... not a good idea?

Message 7 of 12
microchip8
Master

Auto-channel is often not a good idea as it tends to ofen pick a channel that is crowded anyways. What you can do is download a wifi app to your phone and see how many clients are using which channel, then pick out the channels with the least amount of clients. If you're on Android, I recommend WiFiAnalyzer

As for same SSID, it makes things easier if you have multiple devices that move between different APs. With same SSID, you only have to set up once on the device(s). It makes roaming a little easier and reduces interference a bit since SSIDs get broadcasted too so the more you have the slightly higher interfecence there'll be

Message 8 of 12
Eric_Cartman
Guide

@microchip8

yeah i noticed that Auto channel some days it sitting on the most crowded channel very odd i have wifi analyziser i see it has the channels on 6 

i might switch the auto select off. funny you would think that would be an easy thing to programme. (ALLWAYS MOVE TO LEAST POPULATED CHANNEL)

Oh ok so with the SAME SSID on Access Point 1 and 2, if they have the same SSID and password they should hand off without needing to physically reconnect? It makes it allmost like a mesh type system??? Theres another thing i didnt know 😮 so if im for instance upstairs on AP1 i move down to garden and near to AP2 (both with Exact same SSID and Passwords... then the AP 1 will seamlessly hand me over to the AP2

But if i had them called "AP1" and  "AP2" i would have to go into wifi on settings on phone and physically reconnect?

Cheers DUDE !

Message 9 of 12
microchip8
Master

No, if you call them AP1 and AP2, it will have to do a complete reconnect instead of just jumping seamlessly over in case of same SSID. Let's say you have 4 APs all with different SSIDs and you have 4 mobile devices moving between these APs. On each device, you'll have to set up all 4 APs credentials so the device knows what to do when it gets close enough to one of the APs. This is a lot of work to do. With same SSID, you set up only once on each device and let it roam/jump when it comes close to one of the APs while the others are too weak due to being far away

Message 10 of 12
Eric_Cartman
Guide

@microchip8

SWEET

Your a Goldmine of Info ... so its allmost like a roaming mesh system if I have them all named the same. SSID

i had assumed the same name SSID Access Points would interfere with each other, great info thanks...

Can same be said of the actual Router? I assume that has to have a different SSID to the Access Points? Or if the Same SSID was on the X6 Router and the AC1700 APS would I have a lovely house wide mesh system or MAYHEM if all three of the router included had same SSIDS

thanks for info

Message 11 of 12
microchip8
Master

A Mesh system is slightly different, but the overall concept is similar - in a mesh systems, the nodes communicate with each others and is no top-down hierarchy. And yes, you can use on router the same SSID as on the APs, it doesn't need to be different

mesh

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7