× Some paid Circle Parental controls customers may be showing free options only. Router firmware correcting this issue will be available ASAP. Visit Status.NETGEAR.com for updates.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

HP 6520 Wireless connected printer issues

I recently replaced my dlink router w/ the R7000 and love it so far. My only problem is that I can not communicate with my HP 6520 printer (no issues w/ the Dlink). The printer is connected to the R7000 and it lists it as a connected device. I have turned off my Bitdefnder F/W thinking it was a problem, but it wasn't.

Has anyone had success using an HP Wireless printer? A google search shows other users having similar issues with HP printers and Netgear routers, but no clear solution is presented.

Any help would be appretiated.

thanks,
Gary
Message 1 of 22
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: HP 6520 Wireless connected printer issues

My HP Laser Jet will not renew it's IP address. It can get an initial DHCP address. I set a manual static IP address in the printer and reserved it in the router. I can now get to it through the IP address. You might need to change your port in Windows printer configuration to match the IP address you set up.
Message 2 of 22
Highlighted
Mentor

Uninstalling & reinstalling the printer driver should resolve the issue.

There are a number of possible causes, I won't list them, since I suspect you're more interested in fixing it than understanding it - LeeH has covered one, but his work around is not what would be considered "best practice" in the industry.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 3 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Is computer that is using is wireless too? If so which band printer and computer is using ? Both 2.4Ghz band or one on 2.4Ghz and one on 5ghz?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

I have the same issue with my HP 4780, I've reinstalled drivers twice, and still the problem persists, I've gone back to USB connection until a new firmware comes out.
Message 5 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

Same problem with HP6510 losing connection. No problem with R6300 losing connection with it. It is a firmware problem.
Message 6 of 22
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just a quick update. The only work around for this so far is to reboot the router and then communication to the printer is available again. Crowley
Message 7 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a similar issue now with my Epson Workforce 7510.

It connects via wireless, gets an IP address and then basically stops communicating. It shows in the connected devices list and everything.

Assigning a static IP address doesn't change behavior.
Message 8 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

And rebooting the router fixes the issue. So far the printer is the only device that I've noticed exhibiting this behavior.
Message 9 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

I have not had a problem with losing connection with my printer since installing the new firmware. I also reserved it's IP address. You can try that.
Message 10 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm on the latest firmware V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 and already using DHCP reservation.

The printer would pull an IP address but then nothing. The network diag script in the printer said everything checked out but I couldn't ping it, all of the PCs showed it as offline, etc.

I tried assigning an unused address manually, same behavior.

I connected the printer to another AP with a different SSID and it worked. Put it back on the R7000 and it pulled an IP address, then dead again.

I rebooted the router and it started working.
Message 11 of 22
Highlighted
Novice

One thing I forgot is that when I upgraded the firmware to V1.0.3.24_1.1.20 I did not do a factory reset to the router after the upgrade and I still had the problem with my printer losing connection. I did a factory reset on the back of the router and have not lost connection the printer yet. It has been about two weeks. I would loose connection after rebooting the router in about three day's. Did you do a factory reset?
Message 12 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I did not do a factory reset after updating the firmware because I updated the firmware prior to doing anything else. In other words, the router was already set to factory defaults. I took it out of the box, flashed it, and then configured it.

Unfortunately, my printer is once again unreachable via the network.
Message 13 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Makes no difference if you have configure or not.

It is smart to always factory default make sure the firmware are loading correctly regardless of version of firmware is showing correctly
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 14 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah it seems kind of silly but you are right. I plan on doing a reset as soon as I can.

I rebooted it yesterday and the printer came back online. It's offline again as of this morning.
Message 15 of 22
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I don't think current router should not have Power Poll Saving issues but seems HP are most awful printer been seen to many HP behave with other models.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 16 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My printer is an Epson.

I've confirmed that it's the only device on the network displaying this behavior.

Here's something else interesting - I've had a continuous ping running since I first discovered the issue again this morning. I just never bothered to stop it.

Every 20th packet or so, I get a response.
Message 17 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OK, I've done a 30/30/30 and manually reconfigured the router. I will check in again and let everyone know my progress.
Message 18 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm at 18 hours or so and it's rock solid so far.
Message 19 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Still good.
Message 20 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Left for vacation for a week and the printer is offline again. Anybody still having this issue?
Message 21 of 22
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nevermind.

It's not the printer. It's the issue described here.

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=88583
Message 22 of 22