Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hacked and locked out of my R7000

Smokinquack89
Initiate

Hacked and locked out of my R7000

Hello all,
I feel I was hacked or something went on vacation and came home unable to connect to my router. The ssid seems to be changed and the password doesn't work now. I tried to the router password recovery be it seems I never setup a backup? When I type the admin/password doesn't work. I try to bypass it by hitting cancel then type serial # and I don't get a continue it grayed out. At this moment I feel my router is bricked because I'm unable to access it. I called netgear and they tried selling me all these support packages and said they couldn't help unless I signed up. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance 👍
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Hacked and locked out of my R7000

First make sure you don't have CAPS on if there are no caps on your password for the router.

Otherwise do the Factory Reset using the depressed button in the back. That should get you back to the cleared state with the old UID and PW.

Is it possible your router is OFF and you are seeing another one or are you hardwired to it?

Possible it is damaged too, what color are the LED lights?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

First make sure you don't have CAPS on if there are no caps on your password for the router.

Otherwise do the Factory Reset using the depressed button in the back. That should get you back to the cleared state with the old UID and PW.

Is it possible your router is OFF and you are seeing another one or are you hardwired to it?

Possible it is damaged too, what color are the LED lights?

Message 2 of 5
Smokinquack89
Initiate

So.... I did see that reset button when I first started troubleshooting then got so frustrated with the support that I completely forgot about or wrote it off as it just rebooted the unit. Based on the support they made it seem as there was a more serious issue. And what do you know I submit a problem a solution is brought to my attention 10 min later. I reset my router reconfigured everything and I am good to go kudos to you! Man I'm over the moon did not realize the reset button took back to factory settings.LOL
Message 3 of 5
DCee
Initiate

I’ve tried the reset as well using admin password and it won’t let me access the router as well as the security questions don’t work so I’m stuck....
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Try to factory reset by holding the reset button for at least 30 seconds this should make the login back to admin/password.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7