Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Hardwire R7400 to EX8000 to extend my wifi coverage

IndyW
Follower

Hardwire R7400 to EX8000 to extend my wifi coverage

I am running my R7400 as my main wifi router to support my entire house.  I have an EX8000 and would like to extend my wifi to the other end of the house, where I have CAT6 ran to that end already connected to a mini switch to support my TV cabinet devices.

Instead of connecting wirelessly to the extender across the house, can I direct connect into my mini switch, and setup as an extender, and will it perform as wireless to support that area as an extender wireless mesh?  Or do the extenders only work over wifi?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Hardwire R7400 to EX8000 to extend my wifi coverage

When its hardwired in, the EX8000 runs in access point mode. Which doesn't support smart roaming. But with a hardwired backhaul, you'll have access to all 3 bands to use and potentially faster/more stable speeds. but again, no smart roaming.

In extender mode, it'll support smart roaming but then it has to run off the wireless.  

there's benefits from each. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Hardwire R7400 to EX8000 to extend my wifi coverage

When its hardwired in, the EX8000 runs in access point mode. Which doesn't support smart roaming. But with a hardwired backhaul, you'll have access to all 3 bands to use and potentially faster/more stable speeds. but again, no smart roaming.

In extender mode, it'll support smart roaming but then it has to run off the wireless.  

there's benefits from each. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7