Re: Has anyone installed 1.0.9.88_10.2.88 on their R7000 yet?

yddtime
Luminary

Lack of testing is never the root cause of problems. It just passes the pain to users.

My theory is there is one or more buffer overflows somewhere in the device management. When there are fewer features the overflow may not corrupt memory in critical areas. Or the overflow may be a recent bug. Either way the randomness of the symptoms points to memory corruption rather than coding errors.
R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 76 of 267
quang4ngo
Tutor

Usually, I don't update   the firmware unless there's a good reason for it,   for example,  a  security fix.    At my house,    I have  the Magicjack  phone, security cameras, garage door opener, and various things connected to this router.     I need this router running 24/7 reliably.  

I wonder if  one can ssh to the router and poke around.   Maybe they could help debugging the problem.

Message 77 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

I got an email from Netgear yesterday, or the day before, telling me I should upgrade to the latest firmware because of Security fixes.  I'd love to, I'd be happy to, if only it worked (but, at least it's secure!)

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 78 of 267
quang4ngo
Tutor

That's what I did.  I upgraded for the security fix, and then things stopped working.  If you can't afford to have your network down, don't update it.

Message 79 of 267
Aqualung1
Luminary

Oh, it'll be secure! So secure that it'll be unreachable! 🤣
Message 80 of 267
chert
Apprentice

With this firmware, my R7000 regularly loses its internet connection every 1 to 2 days and I have to restart it for the internet to be restored.

Seems to be some recurring memory leak in the firmware which causes the router to lose its internet connection after a certain time.

I like the Netgear Armor feature of this new firmware but to be constantly restarting the router every 1 to 2 days is certainly unacceptable.

I would have to revert to a previous firmware because of this problem.

Message 81 of 267
aperez301
Aspirant

I installed it yesterday and I wish I would have read the threads. I can't keep my signal stable for more than 30 minutes at a time. After multiple reboots I will be rolling back. 😣
Message 82 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@chert That's the same issue I was seeing, dropped internet connections (sometimes, just on one channel).

Message 83 of 267
3s1k
Tutor

DD-WRT is still kicking. I had a little buffering issues friday when streaming Live Youtube videos in 4k on the smart tv. Paused for a few seconds and restarted or switched videos solved that issue. Everything still runng good otherwise. I haven't restarted since I installed last week.

Message 84 of 267
liadb
Aspirant

I just did a factory reset on mine after the first post 42 fiasco and brought it to 42. I won’t update it again.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 85 of 267
liadb
Aspirant

Can you explain what ddwrt is, exactly how to install it on this router? I haven’t done upgrades since post 42 because when I went to 60 I had constant drops so I reset the router and brought it to 42. Explain it in a way a non techy can understand it?
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 86 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

DDWRT is an "open-source" firmware developed to run on the router in place of the firmware supplied by Netgear.  Open-source means it is developed by people working on a project, usually as part of a consortium or foundation, and it is avalable for no charge.  A good analogy might be "Project Libre" office software, developed by the Libre foundation, as a replacement for Microsoft Office (and which is also available for no charge (they take "donations" though).

DDWRT is not supported by Netgear, it is supported in a more general way by the developers, so if it does not work on your particular router, you won't get help from Netgear.  That said, it could be debated how much help we are getting on the firmware made by Netgear themselves, so ...

Message 87 of 267
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Someone already posted the DDWRT guide on here and it's pretty easy to follow, it also explains what it is:

I found this guide while doing some research on the install process. Seems pretty straight forward. Once DDWRT is installed you need to do a factory reset to clear out any Netgear settings that may have been left over.

https://www.tweaking4all.com/hardware/netgear-r7000-dd-wrt/
Message 88 of 267
PrimeTimeMKTO
Aspirant

Although I quit using this router becuase of the constant disconnects and rebooting, I dusted it off and plugged it back in becuase I had to know if this helped.  This router bugged the crap out of me for a long time.  Unfortunately it did not and the router went back into the closet, but honeslty it belongs in the garbage.  The Orbi AC3000 has been a godsend, haven't had a single disconnect and haven't had to reboot a single time since setting it up over 3 months ago.  It's about as life changing as a wireless internet distribution device can be.

Message 89 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@PrimeTimeMKTOWhat did you try to see if it helped?  DD-WRT?  If you tried it, what happened that you say it "did not help"?  What problem are you seeing with the router that led you to put it in the closet? 

I have not heard of that Orbi router (will look it up), how's the range on it?

Message 90 of 267
PrimeTimeMKTO
Aspirant

I was replying to the first message, just stating that I tried installing the latest firmware to see if my old issues had been solved and they had not.  I still continued getting disconnects, and either the 2.4 or 5 connections completely dropping, requiring a reboot nearly daily.  It was very frustrating, the router just couldn't handle our families traffic, even though there is only three of us.

The orbi is a Netgear product, a mesh wifi system.  The model I have is the RBK50 which is the AC3000.  It is two parts in the kit, a router and a satellite.  They communicate through a dedicated back channel so you don't lose any speeds over the main channels.  In my three months it has been rock solid.  It is stated to be able to handle 250 simultaneous connections, and up to 50 high speed connections streaming videos or something else data intensive.  The range is awesome becuase it is basically two different points you can connect to, one on each end of my house.  You can also add more satelites to extend range even further.  Up to three satellites is recomended by Netgear, but they state in a literal sense, there is no limit to the amount of satelites you can connect.  Check this link about daisy chaining as well, you can basically run them in a line and get the same speeds throughout your network.  https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50v2#docs

Message 91 of 267
3s1k
Tutor

DDWRT is still kicking. I have been getting signal issues from the Nest cam furthest from router on 5ghz channel. Gonna swap it to 2.5ghz to see if it fixes it. Everything else has been fine. No connection drops since I upgraded it to DDWRT.

Anyone else try DDWRT yet?
Message 92 of 267
Aqualung1
Luminary

@3s1k wrote:
DDWRT is still kicking. I have been getting signal issues from the Nest cam furthest from router on 5ghz channel. Gonna swap it to 2.5ghz to see if it fixes it. Everything else has been fine. No connection drops since I upgraded it to DDWRT.

Anyone else try DDWRT yet?

Did you flash the Kong (06/08/19), or the BrainSlayer (3.0.40527) release? 

Message 93 of 267
JJNorcal
Tutor

I was experiencing frequent reboots, sometimes 5 miinutes apart.  I tried .60 and .64, and backed up to .42.  The rebooting got worse over time.  Netgear support replaced my unit, and .42 was stable for me for me for months, though requring occassional reboots to resolve an AirPrint discovery problem.

I rolled the dice and upgrade to .88 hoping that it would address AirPrint.  I've had stable wifi for a week, but I did have to reboot today to resolve an AirPrint issue.  Strangely, the problem had nothing to do with discovery; my iPhone could locate and use the printer.  But my PCs could not access the reserved IP address I had configured in their ports.  The printer is connected via wifi, and use of an IP port in my PCs allows them to print both when wired and when wireless.  The problem manifested while using the PC wirelessly, so failure to connect must be due to my wifi router.  I have not seen this problem before.  Rebooting the r7000 resolved the issue.

FWIW, I run the r7000 in AP mode.

Message 94 of 267
3s1k
Tutor

I thought I replied to this but I used the Kong Build.
Message 95 of 267
Rick777
Aspirant

After installing the firmware I had multiple issues with my 5G network requiring numerous reboots to get and stay online. 2.4G seems more stable. 

Would like to hear from others if they have a similar experience and also how to roll back the update.

Thanks,

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 96 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@Rick777 I posted earlier in this thread how to roll back the update. .42 seems to be the most stable version right now.

Message 97 of 267
GOJOSJCA
Aspirant

I need to downgrade my firmware version? How does one "browse for the firmware file" in Advanced Settings? I'm on the Advanced tab on my router's admin page, and I'm not seeing anything. Thanks.

Message 98 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

Netgear.jpg

Message 99 of 267
codeflux
Aspirant

I have 2 AC750 extenders, because 5ghz band doesn't reach outside the house.  Lately the connection quality has been horrible, and extenders hang and have to be power-cycled.  It's a pain.  I don't necessarily blame this router, but I'm sure it ain't helping.

This morning I briefly tried Smart Connect.  Jeez, what a garbage.  It won't switch bands unless you turn wifi off and back on on the phone.

Just a data point.  

Message 100 of 267
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements