Re: Has anyone installed 1.0.9.88_10.2.88 on their R7000 yet?

3s1k
Tutor

DDWRT is still kicking strong. There's an option in the settings to do a auto-reboots so I scheduled one for saturday mornings. I'm happy I made the switch, no issues with the 10 or so devices on the network or streaming 4k.

Message 101 of 265
codeflux
Aspirant

Tried Synology RT2600ac today...  The 5ghz signal is consistently 3-5 db better than R7000, but the one spot in the backyard where I need it is the same unreliable garbage signal, can't even watch youtube, it keeps spinning.  Back to Amazon - at $200 it better make sandwiches and dance for me.

Message 102 of 265
Hikeforfood
Initiate

I manage two different R7000 routers on two different networks, and I had mixed results upgrading firmware from 1.0.9.64 to 1.0.9.88.  Note that for both of these networks, I have the router on a timer that turns off for a few minutes every night, as in the past I found that the router performance and/or stability suffers after being on for several days at a stretch.  This is obviously not ideal, but it seems better than the alternative for me.

1) First the good news.  On one of the routers I connect to the Internet through an old Motorola Surfboard cable modem, and everything works fine, both with 1.0.9.64 and with 1.0.9.88.

2) Now the bad news.  The second network connects to the Internet through DSL instead of cable, and I have the second router control the DSL modem using PPPoE.  (The DSL modem also contains a router, a very bad one, that I disable.  I just use the modem functionality.)  This is the only significant difference between the two router configurations.  The second router works fine with 1.0.9.64, but with 1.0.9.88 I have the following major problem: Following power cycling of the router, it loses most or all of the prior configuration.  For example, in my configuration I have the router LAN port address set to 192.168.0.2 (I have reasons for this).  But following a power cycle, the router resets its LAN port to the default of 192.168.1.1.  I believe that other configuration details have changed as well.  Fortunately, I have saved the configuation files, and so it is straightforward (but very slow) to restore the configuration I want.  But subsequent power cycles produce the same result.  So I returned the firmware to 1.0.9.64, and now power cycling does not disturb the router configuration.

I spent all morning figuring this out.  I hope that Netgear reads this post and fixes this bug going forward, because I am uncomfortable running a router without the latest security fixes.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 103 of 265
Slartey
Aspirant

I have Centurylink Gigabit connectivity at my house. I was getting 940 Mbit up and down the other day, and then made the mistake of upgrading to the newest 1.0.9.88 firmware version for my R7000. Running the same speed test as before, I was getting only 230 Mbit up and down! That was when I came to these forums (should have checked before). I downgraded to various other versions (64, 60 and 42) and they succeeded in lifting my speed tests to 400 Mbit up and down, but gone are the original 940 Mbit up and down. I checked with a direct connection to Centurylink and know that the issue is my R7000 router as I get the high speed with that direct wired connection.

Any advice from anyone? 

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Message 104 of 265
Slartey
Aspirant

As an update, I performed a factory reset (pushing in the recessed button with power on) and then reconnected all network cables and that resolved the issue for me. I am now on firmware version 64 with upload/download speeds of in excess of 900 Mbps. So that's good. Now I am wondering if an upgrade to 88 would work, but given the network disruptions for the household today, I will leave that for another day.

Message 105 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@Slartey I was going to suggest a factory reset as a way of making the rollback work.  If you read this thread carefully, there is no reason to believe it will fix the problems with the latest version.

Message 106 of 265
Slartey
Aspirant

Good guidance - will leave well alone!
Message 107 of 265
yesitsmario
Tutor

Try disabling traffic meter if you haven't already. 

Message 108 of 265
myersw
Master

@3s1k wrote:

DDWRT is still kicking strong. There's an option in the settings to do a auto-reboots so I scheduled one for saturday mornings. I'm happy I made the switch, no issues with the 10 or so devices on the network or streaming 4k.

Depending on the router model DD-WRT can be a great solution. Ran it and Tomato on my r7000 when it was the production router. Moved on now toward commercial grade side. No 3rd party firmware now, but not needed. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 109 of 265
3s1k
Tutor

Very true. I will be upgrading my router as soon as WiFi6 devices are more main stream. I'm very happy with my r7000 and DDWRT now. Maybe when they get the bugs sorted out I'll reflash it back to OEM software. But, for now DDWRT has been working great. Zero issues since I upgraded it a few months ago.

Message 110 of 265
myersw
Master

@3s1k wrote:

Very true. I will be upgrading my router as soon as WiFi6 devices are more main stream. I'm very happy with my r7000 and DDWRT now. Maybe when they get the bugs sorted out I'll reflash it back to OEM software. But, for now DDWRT has been working great. Zero issues since I upgraded it a few months ago.

Good to hear. What I want from a router is set on shelf and forget. Network is up and just works. Does not seem to be the case with NG firmware. I do not even give my existing network, wired and wireless, a thought as it just works. Only time there is a reboot is after a firmware upgrade. Currently gateway (router) has been up for 29 days and that was due to an update. Have seen 60 or longer just depends on when they do a firmware update. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 111 of 265
paulb47
Guide

YES! This is ALWAYS critical when tyring to get a real Apples-to-Apples comparison.  Users span a vast array from someone with a single 'smart'phone on their WiFi to folks who run a virtual IT shop. 

How many times have I seen people report that some garbage version of MS Windows (pick any version) works GREAT.  Only to find out that all that positive user ever does on a PC is read Email and occassionally compose a letter in Word 2003!

Same thing here.
One comes to read actual Customer Feedback in large part because Netgear Tech Support won't answer even the simplest inquiries without signing you up to one of their ongoing support plans. 
Also,
My best assessment of Netgear Support is they are basically clueless.  Definately Clueless when it comes to a Netgear product as "ancient" as their Nighthawk R7000 Routers.  I think they're instructed to try to convince anyone running a router more than 2 years old to Upgrade to something newer---much like MS wants everyone running their Ultimate **bleep**E Windows---Win 10!

Message 112 of 265
paulb47
Guide

Yeah,
I can't believe I still haven't gone 3rd Party Router Controller yet.  Normally it would be the first thing I'd do after unpacking a Netgear Router. 

I also wonder if anyone at Netgear even reads the Community Support Forum.  They certainly don't weigh in on the issues being reported NOR do they EVER seem to correct new infirmities that their NEW version releases introduce.   I believe if the router in question isn't brand new it basically gets NO support at all from Netgear---unless of course, one buys a support plan.  Then they probably run you around in circules as THEY themselves try to understand issues they know nothing about.

@3s1k wrote:

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 113 of 265
paulb47
Guide

@Hikeforfood wrote:

I manage two different R7000 routers on two different networks, and I had mixed results upgrading firmware from 1.0.9.64 to 1.0.9.88.  Note that for both of these networks, I have the router on a timer that turns off for a few minutes every night, as in the past I found that the router performance and/or stability suffers after being on for several days at a stretch.  This is obviously not ideal, but it seems better than the alternative for me.

1) First the good news.  On one of the routers I connect to the Internet through an old Motorola Surfboard cable modem, and everything works fine, both with 1.0.9.64 and with 1.0.9.88.

2) Now the bad news.  The second network connects to the Internet through DSL instead of cable, and I have the second router control the DSL modem using PPPoE.  (The DSL modem also contains a router, a very bad one, that I disable.  I just use the modem functionality.)  This is the only significant difference between the two router configurations.  The second router works fine with 1.0.9.64, but with 1.0.9.88 I have the following major problem: Following power cycling of the router, it loses most or all of the prior configuration.  For example, in my configuration I have the router LAN port address set to 192.168.0.2 (I have reasons for this).  But following a power cycle, the router resets its LAN port to the default of 192.168.1.1.  I believe that other configuration details have changed as well.  Fortunately, I have saved the configuation files, and so it is straightforward (but very slow) to restore the configuration I want.  But subsequent power cycles produce the same result.  So I returned the firmware to 1.0.9.64, and now power cycling does not disturb the router configuration.

I spent all morning figuring this out.  I hope that Netgear reads this post and fixes this bug going forward, because I am uncomfortable running a router without the latest security fixes.

Certainly this reflects my own experience.  Basically EVERYTHING, even the way my I had my ReadyShare configured got wipped clean when I installed 1.0.9.88_10.2.88.   So then I just bit the bullet---reset modem to factory default and THEN installed 1.0.9.88_10.2.88 and then reconfigured everything by hand from grown zero, BUT,
Every Time I rebooted the R7000 OR it spontaneously rebooted itself, it would come back with almost everthing wiped clean.  I'd even have to go through netgear to log back onto my router since it erased my login/PWS credentials and the defualts didn't work. 

Once I got back on I rolled back---except I rolled back way further than 64.  I went back to 42, which was the last version I could consider remotley stable.   I do note that more than a few people in these forums roll back further tha 42 seeking stability. 

As Straight-up Hardware I give my Nighthawk R7000 pretty high marks.  SUPPORT--how far into negatve numbers can I go!?

Message 114 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@paulb47 wrote:

Once I got back on I rolled back---except I rolled back way further than 64.  I went back to 42, which was the last version I could consider remotley stable.   I do note that more than a few people in these forums roll back further tha 42 seeking stability. 

Having followed this particular thread since the beginning, I think that 42 is the most recent version that seems to be considered stable by the majority of users (posting here).  I don't recall seeing anyone here saying they had to go back even further than that, but, I could have missed something!

Message 115 of 265
3s1k
Tutor

@paulb47 wrote:

Yeah,
I can't believe I still haven't gone 3rd Party Router Controller yet.  Normally it would be the first thing I'd do after unpacking a Netgear Router. 

I also wonder if anyone at Netgear even reads the Community Support Forum.  They certainly don't weigh in on the issues being reported NOR do they EVER seem to correct new infirmities that their NEW version releases introduce.   I believe if the router in question isn't brand new it basically gets NO support at all from Netgear---unless of course, one buys a support plan.  Then they probably run you around in circules as THEY themselves try to understand issues they know nothing about.

@3s1k wrote:

I know my next router isn't going to be a Netgear with this BS. Granted, I like DDWRT but I just want a Router that works out of the box and has regular updates that only require me to click "Upgrade Firmware Now".

Message 116 of 265
paulb47
Guide

Well good luck with some other Vendor.  I'm running into an all too familiar pattern across SO many products.   They ALL seem to be made in china now.   This isn't a China bashing post per se, but as China becomes the sole manufacturer of just about everything manufactured, I begin to see that problems in one "Make"/"Company"  will be replicated across ALL the companies that make a particular product.  A little further research often reveals that ALL the different brand names we've come to know are actually now owned by one parent company. 

One several occasions I've seem problems across multiple brands come down to one sub-standard part that winds up installed in them ALL.  Honestly I have no idea what kind of Quality Control exists in Chinese Manufacturing but it does appear they have a very hard time recognizing and fixing an issue of this sort.   A case in point is Window AC units.  Virtually every brand is made in China and every unit one can buy today will have a defect in the Bearings (one major assemble that all 3 fans spin on).  That defect will result in the fans either failing completely after 1 year or the grinding noise from the defective bearing assembly getting louder and louder and louder. 

With something like a Router it will be one or two sub-standard electrical components that give rise to a whole array of issues.    And of course the other problem endemic to ALL devices being manufactured in China revolves around Support.  China may manufacture all routers now but they don't necessarily write the software that runs them.   That task will be outsources somewhere else--perhaps the Philippines (this is not a Philippines bashing post either).  That results in a critical disconnect between the hardware and software----and there is NO one number one can call to take names and kick A$$.  It's the price paid when a country like the USA, which should be able to manufacture EVERYTHING needed, basically tosses away it's manufacturing role, goes $20 Trillion in debt and imports everything.  Don't even go there if you're from the UK or Germany or anywhere else.  We're all in pretty much the same boat.  The only exception that comes to mind would be South Korea for ONE brad of Smartphone! lol

@3s1k wrote:

I know my next router isn't going to be a Netgear with this BS. Granted, I like DDWRT but I just want a Router that works out of the box and has regular updates that only require me to click "Upgrade Firmware Now".

Message 117 of 265
BigTuna40
Tutor

Well people I have been thinking about going to the .88 firmware release for a couple days and after reading this thread will be staying away. Like others have said .42 seems to be the most stable. I had upgraded to either .60 or .64 and had horrible connection drop issues so went back to .42 and things have been good. I would like to have the latest features and security patches but not at the cost of a down network. Make sure to disable the auto update firmware feature in the settings. I do agree with some comments that Netgear has some good hardware but the support is terrible and software is buggy. I honestly may go with a mesh system like google wifi once the r7000 dies. 

Message 118 of 265
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I just installed 10.2.88 after just being informed of its availablity the other day. I (also) got burned by .60 and have been using .34 without issues for quite some time.

After installing 10.2.88 my router "re-booted" with an orange power light and even after power cycling would not completely reboot. Rset button would not even work and I thought I had bricked it!

My R7000 is paired with a recently purchased Motorola MT7711 modem. I rebooted the modem and power cycled the rouer again and everything came up and worked. Yay!

And then the Wifi was extremely unstable! On 5G I was running Ch 161 and had a thought to try changing the channel. Changed to 157 and (so far) 24 hours later it has been rock steady. Speeds are top notch and I am running 30 devices. Hope it stays steady as I really don't want to go backwards again.

Like so many of you, this is really disheartening that Netgear could ignore this issue fo so, so, so long with no fix. WHen the router works right, it rocks. When it doesn't and the manufacturer ignores the users, the users will abandon your company AND will pass that information along to ALL their friends.

Shame on you Netgear! Shame!

Message 119 of 265
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well, well, well....Those of you who know this router better than I already know what my followup is:

I have gone back to .34. That one has always worked for me. Maybe .42 is the best, but .34 has always worked. Always. The problems started today with 5G not being able to stay connected. So, I will be on .34 until I get a new (no Netgear) router. Probably will shoot for ASUS, since they seem to get high ratings from the real users.

I do have to say that on .34 this puppy shines. 300+ speeds constantly. Wifi is smokin hot and I'm happy with that. 

Again: Shame on you Netgear! This is ALL a programmers firmware issue and it's shocking that a company like Netgear cannot fix this. You reputation is why we are here now. I even talked my sister into an R7000, but I cannot recommend Netgear anymore. What a shame.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 120 of 265
quang4ngo
Tutor

If they are unable to duplicate the issue in the lab, they should have the engineers reach out to us.  Some of us should be able to let them remotely access the router and see what's going.  If that won't work, fly the engineers out on location and  have them look at it.     Perhaps, there's a way enable ssh for logging in remotely  like the opensource firmwares.

Message 121 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

If it's this easy for us, they can make it fail too.

If they try.

Message 122 of 265
yddtime
Luminary

Seriously, it would require considerable effort to not see these issues.
R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 123 of 265
Slartey
Aspirant

I thought I was fine on version 64 and then after a couple of days I lost my 5 GHz WIFI on two separate occasions (oddly 2.4 GHz was still okay, as were my wired connections). I have now downgraded to R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 - hopefully that will be more stable...

Simon

Message 124 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@SlarteyI had the same problem on version .64 and ended up rolling back to .42, which is more stable (for me) and where I do not see that issue.  I'd love to upgrade to a newer firmware level, since Netgear frequently informs me that I need to for security reasons, but nothing past .42 seems to work.  I can understand an "oops" once, which would usually be fixed pretty rapidly, but to put out several versions of firmware in a row with issues while simultanously telling customers they need to upgrade because of security issues is simply unacceptable.

Message 125 of 265
Discussion stats
Announcements