Re: Has anyone installed 1.0.9.88_10.2.88 on their R7000 yet?

BBurgDave
Apprentice

Here is a thread on the topic of Factory Resets as part of firmware upgrades.  Is it still needed? I don't know, I have definitely seen issues in the past when I didn't do it (to be specific, performance impacts to upload/download speeds), but I have not thoroughly tested with this version to see.  I don't do a lot of customized configuration, so it's easy for me to just reset the WIFI config, if you do a lot, you might want to research it more to confirm for yourself if it's needed, or just skip it and see what happens.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 226 of 265
RBtechnical
Aspirant

I am glad to see this kind of detailed information, and I'm heartened by the results reported so far, as I have only 11 devices connected, two on 5G wireless, two on 2.4G wireless, and the rest wired thorugh a NETGEAR GS724T smart switch.  Another 6 wired computers and 2 wireless connections come and go under guest access, which I enable and disable for that usage. That's a total of 19 devices max, 11 devices continuous. 

Only recently have I seen enough detailed information that tells me how I should be able to upgrde safely upgrade from 1.0.9.64_10.2.64 to 1.0.11.100. I'm relectant to stay on version 64 due to its age.

Does anyone have experience with the the 1.0.11.104 Hot Fix?

Message 227 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@RBtechnicalI plan to try it, eventually, just wanted to make sure v100 was okay first (or no point in going beyond).

Message 228 of 265
James721
Luminary

@BBurgDave wrote:

@RBtechnicalI plan to try it, eventually, just wanted to make sure v100 was okay first (or no point in going beyond).

Look your R7000 has a major security flaw there is no waiting to upgrade it must be done or may as well take it out of service. Netgear has some very big problems with firmware updates and releases there is no question there. With that said maybe its time to switch vendors and retire the Netgear nightmare. Being afraid to make your router safe because it may cause network problems is unacceptable so why deal with it. Vote with your wallet.

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin. 386.2
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 229 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@James721 Sort of feels like you are attacking me and I sure don't know why that would be.  I will test the patch once I am done testing v100.   

Message 230 of 265
James721
Luminary

@BBurgDave wrote:

@James721 Sort of feels like you are attacking me and I sure don't know why that would be.  I will test the patch once I am done testing v100.   

Not at all just pointing out the facts.  

Asus RT-AX58U. Merlin. 386.2
(AT&T Fiber, Gigabit)
Message 231 of 265
paulb47
Guide

Waiting with baited breath.  Are we? I wouldn't touch one of netgear's firmware releases in the last several years  with a 10 ft pole. 

Astonsihed that so many people would stil place any trust or hope in these incompetnent Netgear "techies" at all.  One usually has to go to Microsoft to find SW this badely written, concieved and maintained.

Message 232 of 265
paulb47
Guide

Must be done immediately (firmware update) or what!  Covid-19 is going to spike even higher.  Are you being paid by Netgear or Donald Trump!

There are 3rd party firmware and in fact to properly configue the R7000 for VPN one pretty must nuke the native netgear firmware and go with something else.  Something else NOT being an even newer and more infested with infirmities Netgear firmware.  No-one should venture out on the internet today without the protection of VPN

Message 233 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

I installed the beta (yes, it's beta) security patch this morning.  I noticed that, since last time I looked, they have released a second version of this patch (11.104), so we'll see.

I installed the patch as a new version of the firmware, even though it is labled as a "hotfix".  There were not instructions that I saw that made this clear, but the size of it indicates that it is truly a complete firmware release, not a small patch (think Windows patches) to be applied as an update to existing firmware.

I will report back if I have problems or, at some point, if I don't.

Message 234 of 265
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you Dave! Appreciate all your efforts.

Message 235 of 265
Joe_King
Guide

Hey, @BBurgDave .

You're about 18 days into the first security patch.

Any issues with it so far?

Did you venture into the newer 11.104 patch?

If so, any issues so far with that?

Thanks very much.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oKHWikxKFJhjArSXm/giphy.gif 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed the beta (yes, it's beta) security patch this morning.  I noticed that, since last time I looked, they have released a second version of this patch (11.104), so we'll see.

Message 236 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@Joe_KingSorry for not reporting back sooner.  I tried both patches and I had some issues with both of them with the 5G network losing it's internet connection (such that I had to restart the router).  I am currently running on the v100 level of the firmware and it still seems "okay" (oddly, I seem to have an issue with 5G soon after installing it, but then (after a restart) it seems to settle down and is okay.

For me, it's thumbs down on both those patches though.

Message 237 of 265
Joe_King
Guide

Sorry for all of the aggravation the patches/new full releases gave you but you saved the rest of us from wrestling with them. THANK YOU for this info.
Message 238 of 265
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well crap. Sorry to hear that. .42 lives on! Until I get a wifi6 router then it's seeya Netgear. Asus sounds like the first place I'll look.

Thanks again Dave.

Message 239 of 265
paulb47
Guide

TRULY,
I wonder what rock they turned over to find people still hopeful of new Netgear firmware releases!

I do realize that not everyone has been here since day one.  However their are pages here that anyone could read to come up to spead if they weren't too clueless or lazy to be bothered.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 240 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@paulb47Not sure who you are calling clueless or lazy, but I've been here since the beginning and I do still test new versions of the firmware, just to see if they work.  Sounds like you have made a different choice, but that doesn't give you the right to come on and ridicule the rest of us for not having made the same choice as you.

Message 241 of 265
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BBurgDave wrote:

@paulb47Not sure who you are calling clueless or lazy, but I've been here since the beginning and I do still test new versions of the firmware, just to see if they work.  Sounds like you have made a different choice, but that doesn't give you the right to come on and ridicule the rest of us for not having made the same choice as you.

Here here! Well said Dave. Our R7000 routers work as good as the day we bought them. It doesn't bother me to still be on .42. It works and I have yet to hear of ANYONE having any issues with it. Rock steady. Excellent throughput. We'll all need to upgrade to get to Wifi 6. So, we can all make our own decisions then as to what brand we buy. In the meantime. 600Mbs and rockin'!

Message 242 of 265
paulb47
Guide

@BBurgDave Knock yourself out.  Test 'em all.  You apparently have more time for that nonsense than  I do

@Retired_Member"routers work as good as the day we bought them"  Did you drop out of school in grade 8?  At least you're using one of the last actually functioning firmware versions. 
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 243 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@paulb47Let's be constructive.  What type of router did you get and how is it working out for you vs the R7000?

Message 244 of 265
antinode
Guru

> [...] Did you drop out of school in grade 8? [...]

This from the fellow who recently wrote:

[...] However their are pages here that anyone could read [...]

Yow.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pot+kettle+black

Message 245 of 265
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@antinode wrote:

> [...] Did you drop out of school in grade 8? [...]

This from the fellow who recently wrote:

[...] However their are pages here that anyone could read [...]

Yow.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pot+kettle+black

@antinode Yeah huh? It's a shame when folks troll a legit group of people trying to find a cure to this issue. At this point I'm fine with the 7000 and am currently shopping for a WIFI6 router so won't be long with this one anyway.

Message 246 of 265
antinode
Guru

> [...] It's a shame when folks troll a legit group of people trying to
> find a cure to this issue. [...]

It's your life, but, in my experience, the probability of getting
much value from a year-old thread with 200+ posts (many noise), and a
title which no longer applies, is not very high.

But the pot-kettle phenomenon in this case was just too funny to go
unnoticed/unmentioned.  Whereas your complaint about my complaint (with
its full quotation thereof) was not a waste of space, because of its
rich technical content.  I understand now.  Thanks.

Message 247 of 265
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@antinode wrote:

Message 248 of 265
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@antinode wrote:

I was not complaining about anything you said. That was directed at Paul's troll comment. Your comment was 100% valid. We have been getting along just fine trying to work this out with no help from Netgear. Paul is evicdently bored. 

I won't be much longer with Netgear anyway, as I said, I am shopping for a WIFI6 router.

Message 249 of 265
BBurgDave
Apprentice

I have been running with the 106.102.100 firmware (which is no longer marked Beta) since August 13th and it has been uneventful (which is good).  I have seen one or two devices (5G) that claimed to be disconnected, but were easily reconnected without doing anything to the router, but that's about it.  I had one router restart during that time due to a power failure, but have not touched it other than that.

I'm staying on this version.  Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on number of devices, etc, etc.

Message 250 of 265
Discussion stats
Announcements