Re: Has anyone installed 1.0.9.88_10.2.88 on their R7000 yet?

3s1k
Tutor

Any new updates? I upgraded to an Asus WiFi 6 router and want to regift my r7000 on ddwrt to some else. I was thinking of reflashing it back to stock but don't want to give a ticking time bomb to someone.
Message 251 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@3s1kI am still running on the latest version and it seems okay to me.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 252 of 267
jgscorpio
Guide

I am considering updating the firmware but last time I did it bricked my router. I had to spend 3 hours or more on the phone with their worthless support team. UGH.

ANy new updates from anyone about updating their firmware for the R7000?

Message 253 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

I'm still running the latest and it is working okay for me.

Message 254 of 267
jgscorpio
Guide

@BBurgDavedo you have any specific tips in doing the firmware update? Worried that it will be bricked if I attempt it again. It was a nightmare!!!!!

I think after my final exam tomorrow, I will attempt to do it again...

Message 255 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@jgscorpio  i have posted the procedure I use elsewhere in this thread.

Dave

Message 256 of 267
jgscorpio
Guide

I shall have to search for it again when the time comes.

Wish me luck.

May the odds be ever in your favor........****>>>>jdsalkfjaklsdjflkasdjfklasdjfl;kasd

Message 257 of 267
BBurgDave
Apprentice

@jgscorpio if you can't find it, I can repost - let me know.

Message 258 of 267
Retired_Member
Not applicable

from the posts on here the correct way is to reset then flash then reset to avoid bricking your router, and avoid v88.

Message 259 of 267
3s1k
Tutor

DDWRT is still kicking but but decided to move away from Netgear probably for good. I picked up an Asus RT-AX86U wifi 6 router and its been fantastic for last 2 months. No drops, always fast speeds in every room with almost 40 devices on 2.4ghz and 5ghz with mixed wifi 5 and 6 devices.

Take my advice and stop **bleep**ing around with Netgears **bleep**ty firmware and Support. Before you knock on me I've been in this thread for over a year and love my R7000 router. If it wasn't for DDWRT I would have thrown it in the trash already.

Good luck everyone.
Message 260 of 267
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi all, I have to agree with 3s1k last post on here, stop messing about with your Netgear router and get a new one, i've been running on my new Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine Router for over a week now (picked one up during the boxing day sales for $469 and Ubitquiti lives up to it's name) and I tell you what this was the best thing I did all year was replacing my R7000 after almost 8 years. Don't get me wrong, hands down to the R7000 for kicking on for this long with not too many issues on the way, but after having unstable firmware and not being able to update my firmware for months on end that was the last straw for me, I am probably going to selling my R7000 firmwared to v64 for $35 on gumtree or something as it still works fine to this day. The specs on my new Ubitquiti Dream Machine is insane, I updated my router within 2 minutes without messing around and I even have a faster throughput than what I was getting on my R7000, and the threat management system on Ubitquiti routers is phenomenal!

The R7000 was the last Netgear product I ever buy, thankyou all for the helpful throubleshooting tips on here over the past months, all your comments have been great, i'm signing out now!

Message 261 of 267
ProTip
Aspirant

I created this account just to echo the sentiments of the last two posters. TLDR; use DDWRT firmware and/or ditch Netgear.

Long version. I've had issues with this router from almost day one and could never seem to get a good connection to it from my PC via Wifi. Resorted to wires for my workstation. Went through the throughput issues and settled on a firmware version that was working for while.

Fast forward to this year I'm trying out wireless VR. Terrible latency spikes from the R7000. Tried moving it on top of a bookshelf and accidentally hit one of the top buttons; no internet. Reboot; no internet. I had to factory reset the dang thing just to be able to pull an IP off it over ethernet.

After the factory reset and setup I was only getting 500Mbps off my 1Gbps internet Smiley Sad So I upgraded to the latest firmware; maybe they fixed it? Now I'm only getting ~300Mbps off my 1Gbps(hardwired!)! Okay, lets go see what firmware version people are talking about in 2021 that ACTUALLY FRACKING WORKS. Saw somebody mention DDWRT and decided what the hell I've got 30 minutes until my next meeting.

I kid you not it took under ten minutes to download, flash, and setup the router with DDWRT. And it SOLVED ALL MY PROBLEMS. I get in the mid to upper 900s on speedtest. My WiFi latency is rock solid in Virtual Desktop streaming VR games. It exposed all the advanced settings and I have full control over channels now; I'm on channels that none dozens of neighbors routers are on(zero). DNS is lookups are faster. The interface is fast and changes apply without a full damn reboot.

DDWRT has been magic for me. Please if you are reading this consider flashing to DDWRT(at your own risk) and let unburden yourself from the madness of Netgear's firmware.

Message 262 of 267

Bought an ASUS RT-AX58U and installed ASUS Merlin. Intalled Fresh Tomato on the R7000. All troubles are gone. If Netgear hardware is not the issue, guess what is.
Message 263 of 267
paulb47
Guide

DDWRT will also support a ROBUST VPN on the Router which NO Netgear Firmware will.   Nowadays in addition to anti-virus, SW Firewall, HW Firewall, one really shouldn't venturee online without being behind a Virtual Private Network.

Message 264 of 267
quang4ngo
Tutor

I gave my R7000 away because no firmware updates really fixes the problem.    I've switched over to the Wifi Mesh network system and it's just amazing.  WiFi works wonderfully throughout the 2 story house and yards.    If you plan to upgrade your router, check out a mesh system.

Message 265 of 267
jgscorpio
Guide

Would you mind sharing your process?!?! I have to do this flash and reset thing because I updated to the most recent and it’s dropping signal and throughput.

What steps did you post before? I’d greatly appreciate your instructions.
Message 266 of 267

@jgscorpio wrote:
Would you mind sharing your process?!?!

What process?

You have joined in on an existing conversation that started two years ago and that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 267 of 267
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements