keverm
Star

Have you fixed the ongoing port forwarding issue? r8000p x6s ac4000

I have been browsing the many threads about people having problems with port forwarding settings dissapearing and none of them actually have a solution. A few are "marked solved", but the posted "solution" just says to reset and put all the settings in again without any sufficient response from support as to why it happens, or if it fixed, or, more importantly, if it is even acknowledged as a bug. Can you explain to me why this happens so much and how I can fix it, and if you are planning on releasing a firmware that addresses this issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R800P-forward-ports-disappearing/td-p/153431...

(marked solved without a real solution)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-N-Routers/Forwarded-Ports-Disappearing-HELP/td-p/511302

(convieniently blame Charter)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7900-Port-Forwarding-Disappears/td-p/143058...

(not solved)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Port-Forwarding-setting-lost/td-p/1120285

(not solved, blamed on user being in Japan)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/Port-Conflict-With-other-Service/td-p/85789

(deceptively marked solved when it wasn't, the customer just stopped responding out of frustration)

https://forum1.netgear.com/t5/Wireless-N-Routers/WNR2020-403-forbidden-error-on-Port-Forwarding/td-p...

(not solved, no mention of a fix, customer abandonded thread suggesting it was necessary to replace router)

https://forum1.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Port-Forwarding-Not-Working/td-p/1455591

(not solved, blamed on mac address change)

https://forum1.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Port-forwarding-not-working-R7000/td-p/1244042

(customer had to use DD-WRT to get it working)

and those are just on netgears own community, I haven't included the other places I looked.

I am seeing a disturbing pattern of Netgear support ignoring a serious bug. I have exclusively used Netgear products for netowrking since probably my first Windows 95 machine. Netgear, will you admit this is a problem and address it! PLEASE! You should be ashamed. This is aggregious.

Port forwarding settings randomly disappear from web ui, and therefor are no longer able to be modified or deleted, OR re-added. Somewhere they are still saved in the momory, but, non-functional, and not able to be deleted. When trying to re-add them the error message appears about not being able to add the rule cause it conflicts with a current rule, even tho the list is empty!

The only "solution" that is listed is randomly trying things until the settings stay put, for a while. I have read all of these threads. Not impressed. It is insulting to mark them "solved".

It is probably one of these things:

look at your web-ui source. it is not reading the config file properly

there is a bug that comments out the wrong lines in the cfg file

or

you gave the NSA root authority inside my box and they are messing it up.

Gheesh, this should NOT be a hard bug to squash.

Please don't bother responding I should change my firmware, do a reset, do a 30-30-30 reset, I did it all.

I have spent two days reading about this and trying every method. Input setting in every order I could try. turned off things, turned on things.

i finally had to admit, unfortunately, that the company I have always relied on for netowrking gear is HIDING a bug rather than doing the right thing and fixing it.

This is a brand new router i paid $300 for. I wish i had unboxed it and learned this before my 14 day return ran out at Staples.

If you can't tell, I'm pissed. grrr.

r8000p x6s ac4000, latest firmware plus others tried.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
keverm
Star

Re: Have you fixed the ongoing port forwarding issue? r8000p x6s ac4000

Wow, just wow. I'm blown away. I've been reading even more about this router. It seems there are serious problems with it.

Read this thread!

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Beta-Firmware-for-R8000P-only-if-you-have-th...

This guy is sueing Netgear over it.

Multiple complaints filed with AG's in multiple states. BBB, etc, and it appears Netgear has just been ignoring all these people.

I ususally do more research when buying things, but I have only ever had Netgear routers that have worked perfectly. I just trusted them. Should have read more. Felt oddly comforting to read a thread with sooo many people complaining about this router. Made me not feel so stupid for buying it. haha, at least others got snookered as well. Weird.

Thanks for the suggestion Case850, but I require port forwarding functionality. VPN is fine also, for other things. Plus, I feel like port forwarding is a pretty basic thing a router should be able to do.

I think at this point I think it's going to be a paper weight until either Netgear releases a working firmware, or this class action lawsuit happens and I get my money back.

Maybe Kong or Brainslayer will do Netgear's job and release a firmware for it.

Such a letdown, great hardware. Feel like I bought a fabcy sports car, but the manufacturer put in 6 copies of first gear. So, every time I change gears it's back to first.

Oh, also, I'm not sure how or why threads get marked "solved" when they aren't, but in case anyone is unsure, this, "NOT SOLVED"

Message 2 of 19
keverm
Star

Hey Case850,

Of course not, no worries, I don't think you are disagreeing.

How do you disagree with someone who says their device is broken? It is not a matter of opinion. It either works or doesn't.

Plus, it seems you are bringing up a second subject, and it's logically impossible to disagree when you are talking about two different subjects.

I'm saying my hardware doesn't work, and you are saying it would be dangerous if it did work.

A metaphor would be if I told you my phone is broken, and then you say, well, you know about the wireless signals frying your brain, right?

Or, if my car wouldn't start and you were to suggest that it is much safer to walk because of increasing number of car accidents lately.

Neither the subject you are talking about nor the one I am talking about could possible affect the validity of the other.

Therefore it is not possible that the link you sent is disagreeing. It is merely a different subject.

guess, unless you are suggesting that Netgear has intentionaly broken port forwarding because they think it is dangerous?

Which would be a very interesting topic!

Port forwarding safety is an important subject to discuss, maybe someone without much knowledge of port forwarding will come across this thread and be a little smarter by seeing your links and following them.

But for me, when threads get hijacked by secondary subjects it reduces their effectiveness in helping solve the orginal problem. It makes the thread confusing to read. It also is handy to obscure negative behavior, such as Netgear's lack of action on this bug, and many other bugs apparently. The negative bahavior falls into the background as people debate unrelated subjects. But, that's for me, how when I read threads about tech support issues, and they start deviating from the original topic, it's hard to sift thru to find the solution to the original problem.

Regardless of the safety of port forwarding in general, it doesn't change the fact that it doesn't work on THIS router, nor does it change the fact that Netgear should make it the highest priority to keep their products functional to the standards they are advertized and sold as.

I guess for me, I would prefer a topic such as the safety of port forwarding be discussed elsewhere.

It will just distract from the original topic of fixing a problem with Netgear hardware that it appears many people are having.

I appreciate your attention given to my question tho.

Thank you for reading it and offering help Smiley Happy

It's more than anyone at Netgear has done!

Maybe they should give you a job, haha

Oh, and also, as before "NOT SOLVED"

Message 3 of 19
microchip8
Master

How about suing NETGEAR for software incompetance in their so-called "egineering team"? It's very difficult for me to understand how a multi-billion company like NETGEAR puts incompetent people to make firmware decisions. Remember, NETGEAR started as, and has been for a long time, a pure-play networking company for mostly consumer-based products. Only in recent years they started to walk also other roads, (Arlo, ReadyNAS, etc) and I heard the incompetance there is also rather high

In short: NETGEAR = great hardware, horrible software

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.82.1SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 4 of 19
antinode
Guru

> I have been browsing the many threads about people having problems
> with port forwarding settings dissapearing [...]

Some of those don't seem relevant.  Many users have problems with
port forwarding which are caused by the user, rather than by the router.

There's no excuse for such settings disappearing spontaneously, but
if it were happening to me (which it's not, on my D7000, up to
V1.0.1.64_1.0.1), I'd want to take a few more diagnostic steps.  For
example, I'd want to compare a saved-settings file from before the
disappearance with one from after.  And test the actual port-forwarding
function, not only the rules report.  Is the problem with the display or
processing of the port-forwarding rules, or is the settings storage
getting scrambled?

And, of course, if the settings have gotten scrambled, then a
settings reset may be needed to clean the slate.

Perhaps you've done all this, and I've just gotten lost in the
blizzard of complaints about different hardware/firmware from 2008.

The fellow from Japan claimed to have a reproducer on his R8500.  Did
you try it?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/td-p/1120285

Even when the blame belongs on Netgear, a concise, thorough problem
report seems more likely to help than a (less informative)
tantrum/tirade (satisfying though that may be).

Message 5 of 19
keverm
Star

Hey Antinode, thx for the advice.

I have done the most of the thigns you suggest.

The cfg files are encrypted, comparing them doesn't do much good.

If it was a simple xml it would be so much easier.

I have installed every single firmware version compatible with the router, reset after, both ways, normal and also 30-30-30 (which I believe isn't really better than just a normal reset to factory settings. note: I have read of people damaging their hardware by doing 30-30-30 resets repeatedly)

I have saved a folder full of every cfg file backup along the way, dated and labelled for what works and doesn't work, uploaded those backup files and also fully input settign manually each time.

Testing the actual forwarding settigns is hard to do, since the settings disappear randomly. That sounds like something Netgear has the resources to do. Maybe they should test that and report back.

My hunch as to the bug:

I believe it a display option. I think the config is saved somewhere and the web page isn't properly displaying the settings.

That is why when the user tries to re-add a setting they had prior added it says duplicate entry found. The setting is in there, somewhere, just not shown on the web page, therefore not able to be overwritten, and also not able to be deleted since the web ui is the only method to delete.

That would explain having to reset the router to fix the problem; all the settings have to be wiped, since the web ui can't do it.

I also think it is possible that there might be two types of port fowarding rules, some that are supposed to be shown by the web ui and some that are intentionally hidden.

The web page is having trouble distinguishing them.

classifying them wrong?

And, I absiolutely agree that thorough problem reporting and troubleshooting helps.

But how much??

I've already spent over two full days with this thing, probably over 20 hours with no soluton.

Netgear is already aware of the problem from my report and others.

It's not like I am the first person to report it.

In all seriousness, how much time should a comsumer be expected to spend doing the work that the manufacturer should be doing, and should have done before a product release?

Is Netgear going to pay me my hourly rate for time spent troubleshooting this.

Should I send them a bill for the time I have already spent.

Should everyone?

Is every consumer who is having this problem then RESPONSIBLE for not fixing it?

I disagree that even though it is "satisfying" to complain, it doesn't help.

Haha, how about this, what would be the most "satisfying" would be if my product worked and I could stop reading this forum!

Also, I wouldn't call it a "tantrum".

Seriously. a "tantrum"?

Come one, that's offensive.

That makes it sound so childish.

Just couse you say it nice doesn't make it any less of an insult.

Is it childish to expect the products I purchase to work?

Calling everyone childish who complains about their malfunctioning products is probably the least helpful thing towards finding a solution.

The only thing it really does well is distract readers from the underlying problem.

Would you also consider it a "tantrum" to complain if the seatbelt on my car had a "bug" and didn't activate fully.

You sound like big tobacco trying to discredit people having a "tantrum" over the health concerns of smoking.

Netgear is at fault for not addressing software bugs, and, it can be effective to call them out on their laziness.

You might call it a "tantrum", but making some noise might actually be the most effective way to get Netgear to pay attention and fix the problem.

Of the links I originally posted, not all were the EXACT same model number with the exact problem, but, they were all relevant, and all examples of Netgear providing sloppy customer service, and ignoring issues that should be fixed. They even marked threads as solved when they obviously were not.

"I am seeing a disturbing pattern of Netgear support ignoring a serious bug." is what I said and it is true.

These are basic router functionality features that a resonable consumer should expect their product to be able to do.

This is a chronic problem. A Netgear problem. The recurrent problem is that Netgear ignores bugs.

The immediate problem of mine, and other users, is that port forwarding setting disappearing.

But there seems to be a long laundry list of immediate bugs that Netgear ignores:

Port fiowarding disappearing, wifi disconnecting, wan port disconnecting...

read this thread to see some of the frustration:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Beta-Firmware-for-R8000P-only-if-you-have-th...

My router has at least one serious bug that makes it unreliable. I have gone back to using my 5 year old router for now and am hopeful a fimware update will fix the new router. But until then, resetting the router every couple of days and uploading a safed cfg file is unacceptable.

If you have the time I encourage you to spend it fixing Netgears products for free.

I however think they should do most of that work, and there appears to be plenty of information already out there for them to duplicate and troubleshoot this bug.

Also, responding to people insulting me just makes me upset.

If you are going to keep doing that I probably wont respond to you anymore.

It doesn't help anyone and it takes way to much time I'd rather spend doing other things.

I will be out enjoying the rest of the 4th on this lovely afternoon.

I'd also be honored to extend a Happy Independance Day to everyone in the great USA.

I feel lucky to live in such a great place, and am appreciative every day.

Free speach means you have the right to insult me all you want.
But, don't be surprised when I recognize it and point it out for the distraction that it is.

I'm sure Netgear is more than happy to have readers here distracted debating the chilishness of compaints.

It saves them from having to fix them.

And as before "NOT SOLVED"

Message 6 of 19
IrvSp
Master

I suggest before your 90 days for support runs out you go to the Support on the MENU above, then MY SUPORT, and create an account or sign-in if you have one already, Then file a problem report. That My Support page keeps changing/working, and since I no longer are in the 90 day window for support I can't verify what you'll see? As I recall you can fill out a form and either send in complete data or ask to be called (foggy memory on this, but they did call me, not sure if I asked or they did after getting the form). They did connect to my PC and checked things out. BEWARE, the 'usual' first line of defense can be you have a defective router and offer an RMA... and you have to pay to ship and insure it to send it to them. You get back most times a refurbished unit, and if you are lucky, it will work. My experience was that it failed in the same way as the original unit. Others have had this experience as well.

You do know this IS a Community forum, right? User to User with some sprinkling of a few NG moderators. They do try to help with some suggestions, but basically they can't fix a real (vs. a user error) firmware problem and may not even be able to report it to support. About all you can do here if it is a true problem (I don't want to get into that definition... bug, setting, or a combo of them) is vent and maybe feel better? 99.5% chance it will not be fixed if it is a bug posting about it here.

Message 7 of 19
myersw
Master

@microchip8 wrote:

In short: NETGEAR = great hardware, horrible software

Could not agree more. Great hardware, but firmware is crap and they do not seem to have the firmware engineers that can correct some ralther basic issues. But lets put in all the cute apps like Circle when the basics do not work. Reason I moved on. Almost took hammer to r8000p and then thought better of that and could put on Ebay should I want to recoup part of the price. Not sure I want to stick it to some unspecting person. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 19
keverm
Star

Hey IrvSp,

Thx for the tips.

My 90 days has just ran out.

Unfortunately I bought this and let it sit in the box on my desk for two months till I set it up.

Never anticipated this type of problem.

My bad.

And, yeah, like you say, getting a refurbished model probably wouldn't fix the issue, would have the same problems but now with used equiptment.

I do realize this is a user forum, but I have seen some NG mods posting links to beta and/or test firmwares in other threads. Doesn't look like that will happen here tho.

And, yes, venting probably wont get my problem solved.

I figured I would at least get a response from some NG mods, but nothing.
Maybe it will help to warn people tho?

If I had read something like this before my purchase I would've bought a different brand, or at least tested this router fully within the return period.

Maybe my misfortune will help out some others by telling my story.

Which, I feel I have done, doing it any more is overkill.

I guess at this point I'm not expecting much from here.

Appreciate people reading and commenting.

Thank you!

Cheers Smiley Happy

Oh, and, of course "NOT SOLVED" 

Message 9 of 19
keverm
Star

yeah, I can't stick someone with this on ebay.

Would feel terrible.

Message 10 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@keverm, my R7000 basically died before I bought the R8000. Years of it working fine (other than initial NG bug with DLNA). Then one day the power light turned orange... and it wasn't even the latest F/W that seems to possibly cause this. I didn't want to buy NG again, more because of the support they have and the RMA as the first line of defense it seems.

I've had LinkSys and ASUS routers in the past. All I can say they, to me, were no better, in terms of performance and support. Not sure but I think all the major brands have the same warranty period for free support.

Look at the forums for those products you are interested in.

I first thought about what I wanted... at least AC speed, AD was not what I wanted, a faster processor than the R7000 too. I narrowed it down to ASUS, Cisco/LinkSys, and NG's products. Has a dollar amount I didn't want to exceed. Amazon was my basic search point as they did have reviews and in some cases customer questions. Also Googled for reviews on the routers I was interested in.

It was the forums for those routers that basically made me forget about forum posts. After all, who posts in the forums? Users with problems. What you don't know is what percentage is that? How they are using the modem and what features are enabled?

In my case, I used DLNA and both USB ports, and basically not much else than standard router functions. No VPN, no QoS, no Traffic Meter, no Remote Access, no Parental Controlt, no NG D/L'er, just plain vanilla usage for wired and wireless devices. Oh, I do use reserved IP Addresses...

Rock solid now for 5 months. On the F/W that was installed during setup of the router.

"I have seen some NG mods posting links to beta and/or test firmwares in other threads." 

Yes, but that is when a HOTFIX or later version is publically released and it is possible that the new F/W would fix it, or they were guessing it might.

"Doesn't look like that will happen here tho."

Well, I'm not sure? I've heard of a beta out there for some. Now the word 'beta' might just be a test fix for certain problems given to those who report that problem. To me, the good part is that NG IS working on a new firmware...

"I figured I would at least get a response from some NG mods, but nothing."

i've not figured out what gets them interested. As far as I can tell it is when it related to a fresh release and the thread is long. Recently they also have been reviewing threads it seems that are old and have not been marked solved or the OP never came back? I can understand no response to if they have no answer or nothing to offer (that others might have) that might help?

"Maybe it will help to warn people tho? If I had read something like this before my purchase I would've bought a different brand, or at least tested this router fully within the return period. Maybe my misfortune will help out some others by telling my story."

Depends I guess? If the person was looking for problem reports and feels it is for all users, sure. If they see reports and read them all and determine they are not the same problems over and over, maybe not?

If you read enough threads, especially the ones that are solved, you might draw a different conclusion, and again, depending on how solved. User error? Reset fixes it? Not using a specific function (think Parental Controls)? Those all might be part of the decision. However, if they are here looking at that, then they probably are doing the same for other routers.

Here, look at LinkSys, http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/bd-p/Wireless_Routers, and I don't know all the model names, but it sure sort of look like the same type of problems reported here?

Here is one for ASUS, https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-ac-routers-adapters.47/.

Any user forum I think will be about the same. 

I could be wrong though.. but it does pay to look at posts for specific products that interest you.

Message 11 of 19
myersw
Master

@IrvSp

Nice writeup. Yes forums tend to not show all the folks not having problems. It is also difficult to tell in some cases if user error or actual hardware/firmware or in the case of wireless maybe a environment issue. 

Environment example is my house. Walls are wet plaster with metal lath. Effects wireless of course. Having grown up with wireless I understand issues like this, but lots of folks do not.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 12 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@Case850 wrote:

It looks "Rock solid" to you because you are only using a small subset of features. Why buy an expensive router if what you really needed was a NAS?

The R7000 was failing. So a router had to be purchased. The USB drives are used for two basic things for the PC's we have here and movie access to 2 iPad's and a Smart TV. Occasionally both of our prime PC's (we each have a backup PC that are on the network as well for some older programs that can be run remotely) will copy some files to a USB drive. A true NAS I was looking at, probably a Synology, but is was cost effective to just buy a new router that could handle USB drives 'as I use them'.

I did want something with more throughput too. Most of our devices are on the 5Ghz band it seems. Hardly have any connecting to the 2.4Ghz other than when the grandkids come over or friends/relatives. On the R7000 I did seem to see occasionally some 'slowness' on some devices, especially when playing music or video's. So the R8000 with Smart Connect managing the 2 5Ghz bands seemed to be ideal. I know it wasn't the fastest router out there but it wasn't the most expensive either. CPU  on the R8000 although the same as the R7000, it is MU-MIMO if I should need that in the future.

It was a small price increase over another R7000, about $60 USD.

If I didn't get the R8000 it would have been another router with similar capabilities.

The only disappointment I've had with the R8000 is basically Smart Connect. It isn't fully enabled (no hot swapping 5Ghz bands). I knew that going in as all reviews were basically 2 years old and I had hoped in that time NG had used more Smart Connect capability, but it appers not.

I have however not seen the pauses when the router is busy as I had with the R7000, so the off-load must be helping.

Look, there are people here who bought the X10 and XR500 who didn't really need it as well. Do whatever works for you. Me, I'd rather 'future proof' then be sorry a few years/months later that I didn't buy something else when I had the chance.

As for a NAS, my solution was/is External self-powered Desktop USB drives soley used for BACKUP location for Acronis True Image on each PC and run automatically on a set schedule. Nothing else on that drive but what one would call 'scratch' files, screen captures, simple saves of some stuff, and occasionally test programs. A NAS is overkill for me.

Message 13 of 19
ledfreak3d
Guide

god dammit it netgear why cant you just make any decent firmware

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 19
keverm
Star

Bump, fyi, still...

"NOT SOLVED"

Cheers Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 19
IrvSp
Master

@keverm wrote:

Bump, fyi, still...

"NOT SOLVED"

Cheers Smiley Happy

Are you expecting it to happen because it was posted here?

Have you reported the problem via the MY SUPPORT in SUPPORT TAB? Probably can't unless you have e-mail or call free support otherwise you'll have to pay for it.

However, if there are enough people complaining there is always a chance it would get to support, but there are no guarantees that will happen.

Message 16 of 19
myersw
Master

@IrvSp wrote:

@keverm wrote:

Bump, fyi, still...

"NOT SOLVED"

Cheers Smiley Happy

Are you expecting it to happen because it was posted here?

Have you reported the problem via the MY SUPPORT in SUPPORT TAB? Probably can't unless you have e-mail or call free support otherwise you'll have to pay for it.

However, if there are enough people complaining there is always a chance it would get to support, but there are no guarantees that will happen.

@ledfreak3d

Above goes for you as well. The forum is not a place to report issues to Netgear. That is through the normal support paths. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 17 of 19
keverm
Star

At this point I am not expecting anything from NG.

Except maybe suspiciously marking this thread solved when it hasn't been.

They ignored my support request until it convieniently timed out with their silly 90 day support.

What if after 90 dyas they update firmware and it causes a problem?

Well, you're out of luck then unless you pay them more.

As a manufacturer they are not held accountable if they mess up their products.

I feel that limiting support to 90 days demonstrates lack of faith in their product.

Seems to me if they knew they built rock solid gear they would be happy to support people longer.

But, maybe not. I'm not schooled in big business economics.

Maybe there is a good reason for the 90 day limit I don't see.

Doesn't really matter tho to me, cause, like I said, at this point I'm not expecting much.

But I'm certainly not going to mark this thread as solved when it isn't.

I'm just going to check in every week or so to document that it hasn't been solved.

I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

I have a problem with my product, I have attempted to get it solved through all the normally accepted/suggested pathways, and it hasn't been fixed.

This thread documents that.

Hopefully a new firmware down the road will fix things?

I see a new one came out a few days ago I haven't been able to test yet.

If it gets fixed I will then mark this thread as such, along with whatever I found that worked.

Feel free to ignore this thread if that bothers you.
Cheers Smiley Happy

"NOT SOLVED"

Message 18 of 19
keverm
Star

Hey Case850,

I'm sorry you got the impression that I was rejecting your suggestion.

That certainly wasn't my intent.

What I said was "Thanks for the suggestion Case850, but I require port forwarding functionality. VPN is fine also, for other things."

To paraphrase, there is nothing wrong with VPN, I just ALSO need port forwarding.

VPN is great! I have set up many over the years.

Right now I have three running, like to get into my older parents home networks when they have problems, etc.

I also have a work one and one at my house I turn on sometimes.

I love VPN!

But, I also need port forwarding to function properly.

(Also, I suggest ZeroTier, check it out, free decetralized type VPN built off ipv6 tunneling.

Allows you to connect almost all your devices without anytype of additional VPN or forwarding etc.

Hopefully it will start finding it's way into router software soon, will make it much easier to bridge networks.)

And thank you for the hardware suggestions.

I will check those out, however, I don't really need any more. Haha.

You should see my garage. It's full of old modems, routers, switches, network hubs...

Back when we still had to use crossover cables. Got a bunch of those somewhere.

Literally. I have 8 tubs full of old computer junk. One whole wall of my garage.

Laptops in various states of disassemble, and several desktops broken down into parts.

Monitors that don't fully work anymore.

Got my media server running down there.

My job is setting up computer gear, video/entertainments systems and networks for customers.

So, I have no shortage of parts to make my home network function.

Ny network is functioning now, I just am using my old router.

The new one still has problems.

I hope the new one will work eventually, so I can switch to that...

I bought it cause I liked the hardware specs.

And yes, I tend to blabber on.

Sorry for that.

I appreciate you and anyone else reading and giving suggestions.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Oh, and of course

"NOT SOLVED"

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements