• 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Help! R7000 OpenVPN doesn't work properly (NOT assign IP address to client)

Router: R7000 with the latest firmware updated, Dynamic DNS is enabled
Client: OpenVPN 2.3.4 on Windows 7, 8.1

I've tried the following clients in different computers via different networks:

They all seem fine at the beginning (OpenVPN shows connected sign) but if you check the vpn connection you'll find that the IP address is NOT assigned.

The following screen capture are 32bit client on 64bit Windows 7, as you can see, it shows green sign but no IP assigned:

Could anyone help?
Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Help! R7000 OpenVPN doesn't work properly (NOT assign IP address to client)

I have the exact problem - Not assign IP address to client.
Any solution?
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Guide

I worked a support ticket with Netgear on this VPN problem with Level 2 Netgear Support Experts for a several days and they have solved it for me.

Previously OpenVPN would seem to connect but my NETGEAR-VPN adapter would receive a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address and therefore I would have no access to my home LAN (nor would any internet traffic go through the VPN).

Based on Netgear L2 Support's guidance I am now running R7000 firmware V1.0.3.68_1.1.31 with the VPN service enabled for "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" but here's the important part:

Netgear has identified a problem with OpenVPN client software 2.3.4-i603.
It will not work.

Instead, use OpenVPN client software 2.3.4-i003.
It works.

Once I did so my VPN connected quickly, my NETGEAR-VPN adapter was handed a DHCP IP on my LAN, I could see and access all my devices and shares on my LAN; and iplocation.net and whatismyip.com report my WAN IP as my home WAN (even though I was sitting in a cafe down the road on public wifi).

Throughput was good enough for me to stream audio from my server at home and even view 720p youtube being pumped through the VPN (but 1080p was choppy).
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Guide

OpenVPN client software 2.3.4-i003 was the most current at the time for me.

I believe to solve the problem now with the current versions, you should try

openvpn-install-2.3.5-I001-i686.exe (32-bit, Windows XP and later)

OR

openvpn-install-2.3.5-I001-x86_64.exe (64-bit, Windows XP and later)

Yes, I know it says for it's for Win XP but they work for 7, 8, and 8.1 as well. I am running Win 7. The point is that the OpenVPN Client Software versions for "Vista and later" do not work correctly (they don't get a proper IP address).
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Guide

Or, perhaps they fixed the problem with the latest version 2.3.5 for "Vista and later". The latest version was posted 10-28-2014, several days after you started this thread.
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

I found the solution by installing the 32 bit version (openvpn-install-2.3.5-I001-i686.exe) even if you have a 64 bit machine. Only that version works for me.

Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, it works! Thanks!

Installer (32-bit), Windows XP and later
openvpn-install-2.3.5-I001-i686.exe
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Guide

I continue to have the same type of problem, but am using a MAC and using tunnelblick to affect the VPN connection, leveraging the openVPN credentials provided by the router.

Any thoughts on how to get that working?
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

There's a tutorial for getting the VPN working with Tunnelblick in the section of the R8000 router Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 9