Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Novice

Help configuring a "private/public" with extension(s).

I currently have one R7000 as a "private" 802.11ac router and a parallel "guest" 802.11n brand-X router; each with wired 802.11n AP's to extend WiFi coverage. Now I need to upgrade both "private" and "public" networks to full 802.11ac and am considering the hardware needed to do it.

It would seem that a second R7000 wired in AP mode should be capable of doing it but the "guest" is unavailable on a R7000-AP. Even if it was, "guest" networks don't support 802.11ac. Am I stuck with the current dual router, dual extender/AP topology? Seems like there must be a better solution out there. Would the R7000's wireless bridge do it with reduced throughput? What about multiple EX6100's?

Thanks.

FYI. On the "guest" network I use DHCP on the router but I let a DHCP server assign addresses for the "private" network since it's a domain.
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Help configuring a "private/public" with extension(s).

I can’t quite picture how you have two routers ‘in parallel’? how do the two routers connect ‘upstream’ to the modem (assuming there is a modem)? How do you stop your DHCP server from servicing requests from your ‘guest’ network?
Highlighted
Novice

Sorry, parallel may not be the best description. The modem has a 4 port switch built in. The modem has LAN addresses of 192.168.0.1/24 Each of the two routers have their WAN ports connected to the modems switch ports. Each router becomes a gateway. One at 192.168.10.1/24 and the other at 192.168.20.1/24

The DHCP/domain server is within the 192.168.10.0/24 client network and has a scope limited to the same 192.168.10.0/24. I just turn off DHCP on the R7000 to allow the server to provision addresses.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well it seems that your modem is actually a router also, so you have two routers each spurred off the gateway router.

Your options seem to be wide open since you could easily configure those two routers as Access Points if you wish, of continue to run them as routers which will segment your network into three as you seem to realise. Port forwarding would be a problem if needed though.

If you want to run a guest network from one of those segments, then leave the relevant router in router mode. You just need to decide how you want to partitiion your network and realise the communication between devices will depend on which segment they are on.