Help my R7800 nighthawk doesn't detect my laptop that is hardwired

cpwatson
Luminary

Help my R7800 nighthawk doesn't detect my laptop that is hardwired

I have my Nighthawk hooked up to modem.

I have a laptop connected with ethernet cable to Nighthawk.

but the light for the connection to the laptop is red.  See photos.

No matter how I conenct it - it does not  work. Any solutions.

It is a new router.  Laptop 2010 but does connect to internet.

I am using this to check IP internet connection.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
antinode
Guru

Re: Help my R7800 nighthawk doesn't detect my laptop that is hardwired

> I have my Nighthawk hooked up to modem.

Not a very detailed description of anything.

> [...] my R7800 nighthawk doesn't detect my laptop that is hardwired

What, exactly, does "doesn't detect" mean to you?  What, exactly, is
your "my laptop"?

> [...] I have a laptop connected with ethernet cable to Nighthawk.
> but the light for the connection to the laptop is red. [...]

"red" or amber?  

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "LED".

> [...] Laptop 2010 but does connect to internet. [...]

What does "Laptop 2010" mean to you?  Made in 2010?  An actual maker
and model number would convey much more useful information.  If your "my
laptop" connects to the Internet, then is your only complaint about the
color of the port-status LED on the router?

> I am using this to check IP internet connection.

I don't know what that means.  What is "this"?  As usual, showing
actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations (like, say, "doesn't detect" or "does not work.").

Message 2 of 11
cpwatson
Luminary

Wow, let;s hope your reply was for fun.  The qeustions you asked were rediculous. I said REd not amber,  I said laptop, which is a small portable compute. I used the word discover which means detect.  And then suggest I use support?  Why would you even post one word of your ancser.  It was insulting.  I should report your post.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

There are no red LED on the Ethernet ports - it's amber, indicating a negotiated link sped of 10 or 100 Mbit/s.  As per the R6700 User Manual, p.11:

Ethernet LED amber 10 100 Mbit.PNG

Bad network cable, broken network port (or disabled e.g. just in WoL mode) on the laptop, broken router LAN port, ...

Wrong attitude if you expect community members to help.

Message 4 of 11
cpwatson
Luminary

Well, here we are splitting hairs again,  Amber is brownish yellow on the definition chart.  Mine is dark orange but most people would call it red when dealing with elctronics.  But I doubt the color  -stumped-   you.

My attitude is that of someone who has -many- times offerered help to people. If I knew the topic well I could probably figure out the issue and the solution in spite of amber vs red.  So given that, and given that two people are concetrating on meaningless details shows me you are stumped and too arrogant to admit it.  Your answers were to try another port and to try a new cable. LOL.

I did try all the ports on the back of the wifi,  I tested the cable that caused the light on the router to flash non-white.  But I can see that again this site is of no use.  You people are more intent being puffed up.

Message 5 of 11
myersw
Master

Folks are trying to help you. There is no red on the Ethernet ports as said. Start listening instead of what you are currently doing. You asked for support and are not willing to listen to experienced folks on this site. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@cpwatson wrote:

Amber is brownish yellow on the definition chart.  Mine is dark orange but most people would call it red when dealing with elctronics.

Once upon a time, I was used to talk about a yellow LED for that purpose indicating the slower links, even the industry did the same. No idea when some standards changed towards claiming it's supposed to be amber. And hey, I agree that Netgear, their ODM, and even other switch makers seem to head towards something much to redish - last time I've complained I got a lecture of wavelength vs. colour (see the attached image - for the eye, this is much more red than it appears in the camera!). Here on the R9000 I don't know if they use a multi-colour LED (beast guess yes, based on the different white than the non-LAN port LEDs). And yes, the colour "selection" isn't very lucky.

@cpwatson wrote:

Your answers were to try another port and to try a new cable. LOL.

I did try all the ports on the back of the wifi,  I tested the cable that caused the light on the router to flash non-white.  But I can see that again this site is of no use.

No, I've offered you a much bigger selection. Also possible is that your laptop does only have a Fast Ethernet, or it's reconfigured however, or simply broken, or the cable(s) tried might not have all eight strands (four pairs, correctly twisted) properly working. If both the laptop Ethernet port and the same cable can be considered known workable with other Gigabit Ethernet ports we might come to the conclusion the router might be broken.

For the fun of it, does the laptop negotiate to Gigabit Ethernet (as seen from your laptop network port LEDs or the device information) when plugging on the Internet/WAN port? 

Feedback and suggestions are widely based on the quality of input provided. What does your laptop show e.g in the WIndows Network connections ref. the interface (status - there is more but "no Internet").

Message 7 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@cpwatson, although I agree with all that answered you, I'll try a different way.

What does the Laptop 2010 see for Network Connections?  I'd tell you more how to see it, but I don't know what OS you are running. I'll assume Windows so open a CMD prompt and run IPCONFIG /ALL and copy and paste the results here (or take a screenshot and upload it).

What IS 'Laptop 2010'? What is the make and model? Quite possible it is an older laptop that does NOT have a 1GB wired Network adapter. If that is the case, RED/AMBER is what is shown.

You didn't say if you tried the other 3 ports? Are they also showing the same color on the LED?

Have you tried a different cable from PC to Router?

If you can reach the router with a different device, what does the Access List for the router show?

Message 8 of 11
cpwatson
Luminary

YOUR REPLY

“For the fun of it, does the laptop negotiate to Gigabit Ethernet (as seen from your laptop network port LEDs or the device information) when plugging on the Internet/WAN port? “

My internet “negotiating speed” is 100 Mbps.

So I’m afraid your fun will have to go unheralded.

I’m not sure what you are really interested in.  My latop is an older PC from 2010 but does work well.  (It's just not a Mac.)

It comes down to this. 

I plugged in or hardwired my laptop into the YELLOW port on the back of the router.

I was on the internet. Working well within local standards of speed. (100 mbps- boasts my IP)

Secondly, I plugged in same laptop with same cable into

another port (actually tried all of them) for which the router didn’t work, meaning the light was flashing a dark color as opposed to white & the laptop did not have internet connection.

(Logically, I reconnected the modem to the router.)

What could be more simple than that? It does not work. Apparently the router is not working correctly and needs to be returned.  And if I had to deal with the likes of this”HELP” page I can assure you I will not buy a Netgear product.

Message 9 of 11
IrvSp
Master

Boy, an I confused now?

@cpwatson wrote:

I plugged in or hardwired my laptop into the YELLOW port on the back of the router.

The YELLOW port on the back labeled Internet? That is where the router to modem cable goes! Do you even have a modem connected to the router? If so, where/how?

Message 10 of 11
cpwatson
Luminary

I see your point.  I am using as a test for my internet, a HP with the OS Windows 10.

My real device is an Imac and iPad.  But kept having internet problems

and was unsure if the internet  or if the new router.

Often it is the internet but someitmes things don't reset and have to unplug both

modem and router to bring it up again.

I am going to let this issue go since I see a valid point with the age of the laptop.

Thank you immensely for your help.  

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E