Help please! Configuration issues...

layne81
Tutor

Help please! Configuration issues...

Hello all,

I have contacted support at least 5 times now.

I own 2 Netgear Nighthawks (r7000) and 1 Netgear EX6200 Extender.

I have a 1900 sq. ft. home.

I have one r7000 in my office connected to the cable modem and then I have another r7000 in the living room set in bridge mode(roughly 5' away from the r7000 in the office with a wall separating) and then a EX6200 extender in my bedroom connected to the office r7000 (about 40' away from r7000 in the living room with a wall separating).

I have a lot of devices:
Office:
Gaming PC
Printer

Living Room:
PS4 (hard wired to r7000)
PS3 (hard wired to r7000)
Xbox One(hard wired to r7000)
Xbox 360
Apple TV3 (hard wired to r7000)
Dish Hopper

Bedroom:
Regs PC
Dish Joey (hard wired to ex6200)
Apple TV 2 (hard wired to ex6200)
PS Vita
Nvidia Shield
Motorola MP33 Baby Monitor

I am getting worst speeds on the ex6200 when connecting to my office from my bedroom than connecting the office r7000 from my bedroom.

Obviously I spent 550.00 on network equipment... I want the best speeds I can achieve with my netgear products.

If anyone knows... Please help...

I am a gamer... I am a hd video streamer... Mainly a gamer...

Any tips or techniques at all are appreciated....

Thanks,
Layne
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Help please! Configuration issues...

Make no sense to put router 5ft away for two of R7000 and you place extender 40 get away

I would put 2nd r7000 more distance away.

1900sq is not that big to say. I would have started by placing the R7000 in the center of those and surge the signal you get from all four corner etc using like inssider
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 10
bobcageon
Guide

You can hard wire a simple gigabit switch upstairs unless you are using wireless console, but even the second R7000 as an access point should be hella plenty.

You want to be towards the outer layers of coverage from one device to the next (using wireless) to throw/reinforce your wireless signal in a line outward from front to back, or vice versa, and then the extender does the same if you need to get wireless outside or behind some kind of structural interference creating a dead zone
Message 3 of 10
layne81
Tutor

The reason I have 2 r7000s is because I contacted Netgear and I suppose either a new or uneducated customer rep told me that a 2nd r7000 in bridge mode would cure everything and I would have wireless on both sides of the house.

At the time I was new to all of this and also uneducated...

After reading after sometime after I purchased the units... I found out that it is sending no wifi signals at all (r7000 in bridge)

So that r7000 was pretty much useless to me unless I used it in bridge mode where all of my gaming consoles were... The entertainment center...

I want to run cable through walls and through the attic... I am educated in this area as well...

Afraid I may damage something in my house...

No one in my area will do this for me at any price... Blah

I tried power line today in the bedroom... Wayyyy to weak because it is wayyyy too far.
Message 4 of 10
bobcageon
Guide

Do you have any way of running an ethernet cable upstairs to your 2ng location? That should be Step 1. Somehow, get a wire that goes from your office to the upstairs where your devices are. Then you need to read both of these (print them incase you lose ure inet): 1) http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19852 2) http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927 Follow & read both guides & ask questions if you are not sure before you do anything.
Message 5 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

After reading after sometime after I purchased the units... I found out that it is sending no wifi signals at all (r7000 in bridge)

So that r7000 was pretty much useless to me unless I used it in bridge mode where all of my gaming consoles were... The entertainment center...

When 2nd unit is repeating from the main R700 wirelessly connected you are making throughput weaker . Also placing two R7000 that close is also not necessary

I would run ethernet cable between the main router and adjacent room to cover up. You will need to site survey like free app inssider to understand the signal -##db reading

[QUOTE]I tried power line today in the bedroom... Wayyyy to weak because it is wayyyy too far.[/QUOTE

in 1900sq house power line should work and not distance but issues with line nose that may have lessen the bandwidth. It is easy way but running ethernet cable is relaible.

Per suggested because R7000 has AP mode I would use 2nd R7000 with below as well
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 10
layne81
Tutor

Well I have a 1 story. So... I would have to run the cables up the walls over the entire house then down the wall of my bedroom.

I just don't have any experience in this field... I have called everywhere to see if someone would do this for me and no one will....

Called my ISP to see if they will hook up an additional modem in my bedroom... They will but I will have to pay for an entirely new service for additional for 55.00/mo... Not an option there...

So frustrating...
Message 7 of 10
bobcageon
Guide

do you have an attaic? you could run the wire outside by drilling through the office wall, then up the exterior wall into the attic and drill into down into the closet in the bedroom & run it through there out to your device. That's what I had to do & yes it sucked
Message 8 of 10
bobcageon
Guide

Call around to a higher-end Audio Video or Home Stereo store. They usually have a technician that can run network wiring for new home installations or existing home installs. Ask them how much they would want to run an ethernet cable to the upstairs from your office. Whatever is the cheapest solution without having to wire it into a wall jack (unless you want to pay for that & it will plug into the wall but that means $$$,) just a simple loose wire along the baseboard
Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Obviously you haven't contacted the correct people to do the job. This is nothing different than having an additional TV outlet or phone jack installed. Call your ISP and ask them to run a data cable, they do it everyday or live with it as is.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements