Highlighted
Aspirant

Help settign up my home network

I have 2-R7000 Routers & 1-EX7000 extender. its a normal house 2 floors plus basement  (top floor- main floor- basemnet)

internet connection (modem) is in the basement (i can get a cable cable between the basement and Min floor)

Network usage: Stream TV services, Inernet use, etc on all flors

My Quesions:

1. How should I set up each device - bridge mode, (AP mode) access point, repeating mode

2. Which device should be on each floor

3. should they have the same network wifi name.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted

Re: Help settign up my home network

@outlaw29 wrote:
How should I set up each device - bridge mode, (AP mode) access point, repeating mode

Put one R7000  in AP mode (wired to the router) or as part of a Wireless Distribution System (with wifi link to the router).

@outlaw29 wrote:

should they have the same network wifi name.

There are conflicting ideas on that one. Try it and see?

@outlaw29 wrote:

Which device should be on each floor

Again, suck it and see, but if possible I would put one wifi source within wired distance of any smart TV that has a LAN port. Then you can plug the two together, which is easier to set up and more reliable than wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Help settign up my home network

this is what I did 

connect the router to my modem setup my wireless and guest network. Connect a LAN cable from this router to main floor R7000 using the wan/internet port, set it up at an AP, it asked me to disable the wireless on the main route?  I did,  should I have?

used a 2nd LAN cable to connect the EX7000 also, set the EX7000 up as an access point

used the same wireless name  for all 2.4 & 5G in both devices 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements