Help with Configuring the R8000 and the R6300 to bidirectionally talk to one another

henryga
Aspirant

Help with Configuring the R8000 and the R6300 to bidirectionally talk to one another

hello I need some help configuration my solution

Below uis a quick diagram

Internet---> R8000-------|------------>R6300------------> PC

192.168.1.x   |             192.168.0.x       192.168.0.2

|

PC       - |

In this picture the PC (192.168.0.2) can talk to the internet prefectly but PC - 192.168.1.10

cannot talk to PC 192.168.0.2

Can someone help me configure the R8000 and the R6300 to bidirectionally talk to one another

thank you

Gary

Message 1 of 14
netwrks
Master

Re: Help with Configuring the R8000 and the R6300 to bidirectionally talk to one another

Message 2 of 14
BryanSD
Apprentice

Re: Help with Configuration

How are you connecting the R6300 to the R8000? If you're connecting via Ethernet, have you set the R6300 as a Wireless AP?

Via a PC version of Netgear Genie for the R6300: Advanced Settings > Wireless AP > Enable Access Point Mode

Message 3 of 14
henryga
Aspirant

Re: Help with Configuration

Thanks but I am turning off the 6300's wireless and just using a lan cable...

Message 4 of 14
henryga
Aspirant

Re: Help with Configuring the R8000 and the R6300 to bidirectionally talk to one another

thank you for the pointers... could you help me fill out the screens.. I have read the help files and I have tried to do that but it still does not work (I am probally doing something wrong) the ip addressed in the original post are correct  so if you could help me configure the 6300 and 8000 I would really appreciate it!

thanks

gary

Message 5 of 14
henryga
Aspirant

Someome plase help me to configure this

thanks!!

Network diagram

network.png

this is how I built the static route on my R8000

8000.jpg

this is how I build the Static route on the R6300

r6300.jpg

Message 6 of 14
TheEther
Guru

The PC @ 192.168.1.10 cannot talk to the PC @ 192.168.0.2 because the R6300 has a firewall.  For all intents and purposes, the R6300 treats subnet 192.168.1.X as the Internet, so it will normally block any unsolicited traffic going from WAN to LAN.  Static routes won't help you here.

BryanSD's suggestion of enabling AP Mode will work.  AP Mode disables the firewall.  It also disables the DHCP server.  As a consequence, the 192.168.0.x subnet will disappear, so your PC @ 192.168.0.2 will need to renew its DHCP lease to pick up a new IP address in the 192.168.1.X subnet.  Either unplug and replug the Ethernet cable to that PC or reboot the PC.

Message 7 of 14
henryga
Aspirant

Thank you for you answer but the entire purpose of this is I have one device today on 192.168.0.x that I need to access from several machines on 192.168.1.x and I do not have the ability to change the subnet on the .0 machine Do you think I can create a port forwarding rule for all machines and ports to do that between .0 and .1?

Thanks for your help?

Message 8 of 14
BryanSD
Apprentice

@henryga wrote:
Thank you for you answer but the entire purpose of this is I have one device today on 192.168.0.x that I need to access from several machines on 192.168.1.x and I do not have the ability to change the subnet on the .0 machine Do you think I can create a port forwarding rule for all machines and ports to do that between .0 and .1?

Thanks for your help?

I don't understand why you would want to use the R6300 as a router for this purpose because in every description you give you're describing a switch. If you don't know which ports/services you need to open up on your R6300's firewall I think its going to be impossible for someone to recommend a setting. One thing you might want to try on the R6300 is to enable the DMZ for the specific machine. If I read what you describe correctly, try entering on the R6300 the IP 192.168.0.50 as your DMZ under the Advanced Tab (Setup > WAN Setup > Default DMZ Server).

Message 9 of 14
henryga
Aspirant

Thanks. I have a problem, I cannot re-address the machines on the .1 network and I cannot change the one machine that was hard coded to the .0 network. How would a switch solve the problem? Don't I need a router to allow traffic to bypass the two stunners?

Message 10 of 14
henryga
Aspirant

The last word should be "subnet"

Sorry

Gary

Message 11 of 14
TheEther
Guru

@henryga wrote:
Thanks. I have a problem, I cannot re-address the machines on the .1 network and I cannot change the one machine that was hard coded to the .0 network. How would a switch solve the problem? Don't I need a router to allow traffic to bypass the two stunners?

Just to clarify, the PC that is currently on the .0 subnet has a static IP address and, therefore, is not using DHCP?  

You are not allowed to reconfigure the PC?

Is this a small business network?

As BryanSD suggested, putting the PC in the DMZ of the R6300 should allow bidirectional communication with the other PC on the .1 subnet.  You will need the static route that you earlier placed on the R8000.  The R6300 does not need a static route; it already knows about both subnets.

One caveat of using the DMZ is that it can accommodate only one device.  If you have other PCs on the .0 subnet, then they will continue to be inaccessible from the .1 subnet.

Message 12 of 14
henryga
Aspirant

That is correct.  it is actually a Lynx box and it has a hard coded IP address.  The recommended way to use this device is connect a PC directly, and use that PC.   Based on the configuration of the store that is not possible this is why I am going though all of this. 

when I am at the store tomorrow I will try to setup the 6300 as a DMZ and see if i can get it to work

thanks everyone!

Message 13 of 14
TheEther
Guru

Can you provide more information about this Lynx box, like a model number or pointer to product page online?

It's a little surprising that a box would use a hard coded IP address.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E