Help with extreme lag in online games while streaming video over wifi

Henderson
Aspirant

Help with extreme lag in online games while streaming video over wifi

When playing online games, such as Diablo III on my PC which is wired to the router, I get extreme lag where it's unplayable if someone watches a movie streamed from a 2nd PC over wifi.  I've tried it without QoS enabled, enabling QoS by Device, by Service, by LAN Port, without any improvement at all.

The 2nd PC has the movies on its hard drive, they're not being downloaded from the internet to take up net bandwidth while playing, and that PC is also wired to the router.  It streams movies from that 2nd PC over wifi to a TV.  The average movie size is only 800kb-1.5mb, we're not talking blu-ray rips.  I wouldn't think it would effect gameplay that badly, but it does.

There must be some settings I'm missing that will allow both gameplay and wifi streaming to co-exist, but I can't seem to find a solution.  Firmware on the router is updated often, it was on V1.0.9.14_1.2.25, just updated to V1.0.9.18_1.2.27, no difference in performance with either.   One PC has Windows 10, the 2nd PC has WinXP.

I'm on Comcast, speedtests are 120 mbps down and 12 mbps up.  Modem is Motorola MB7420.  But as I said, it's not streaming the video from the internet, just from one PC to the TV over wifi, and it's just when wifi use comes into the mix that the games are unplayable.  I can stream the same videos from the same PC to a wired TV and there is no problem with gaming at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Henderson
Aspirant

Re: Help with extreme lag in online games while streaming video over wifi

If it's any help at all to sort this out, the only device on wifi at the time this happens is a Sony Blu-Ray player that the movies are streamed to, BDP-S5100 (or a 2nd one, BDP-S5200, both are never on at the same time), and they're both on 2.4G.  No other wifi devices are connected at the time.  The Blu-Ray player is wired to the TV, so no extra wifi jump there.

I can't believe the only solution will be to buy a different router?  This one was almost $200, how much do I need to spend?

Message 2 of 7
Henderson
Aspirant

As stated in the first post, "I've tried it without QoS enabled, enabling QoS by Device, by Service, by LAN Port, without any improvement at all."  It wasn't just simply turned on or off without configuration.

It's only been recently while a family member is recuperating at home from a hospital stay that the streaming to the TV is happening often enough where it interfers with gameplay.  So unfortunately I don't have a clue if any lower firmware didn't have the problem or not.

Message 3 of 7
Henderson
Aspirant

I might have hit upon the right combination of settings today.  The TV had streaming video while I was playing and I didn't even know the TV was being used, there was zero lag.

Under Advanced > Setup > Wireless Setup, at the top under "Wireless Network 2.4GHz (b/g/n)" I changed Mode to "Up to 54 Mbps" (it used to be at what I assume was default of Up to 600 Mbps).  That change seems to have made a world of difference.  I'll check it out more tomorrow for longer periods, but I'm hopeful after today that it's the fix for me. 

Edit:  Posted this before I read the above message.  I have another Sony blu-ray player, BDP-S6500, that is wired directly to the router and streaming to that does not create any lag at all.  It's only when the other players stream over wifi that there's a problem.  I've attached a screenshot of the QoS page (I labeled what each device is since it usually does not get saved for some reason when I enter the labels).  Both boxes on the WMM page are checked.

Message 4 of 7
Henderson
Aspirant

There are quite a few QoS by Service rules set up as default on the R7000, Diablo III was not listed there, I had to add it manually.  I set only Diablo III at the highest and dropped everything else lower that default had at highest priority (Vonage, GoogleTalk, things I never use anyway). 

I let the router do the speedtest from the button that's on the page, and I know it's accurate for upload amount from my previous tests at Speedtest.com so I left it as detected.  Download is around 120 Mbps.

Message 5 of 7
Henderson
Aspirant

All PCs are kept up to date with drivers and the Sony blu-rays have the latest firmware installed always.  I did more testing this morning and zero lag again while the TV was on playing through the Sony blu-ray.  So that 2.4 setting seems to have been the magic fix in my instance.

For the heck of it I let an HD video play through my cell phone which is on 5.0G and that streamed from the internet, not just from within the LAN, and it didn't effect gameplay at all, there was zero lag from it.  It's only when the 2.4 band comes into the mix that games were unplayable.

So I'm a happy camper again hitting on the right setting.  No idea whether it would work in all instances, but it definitely made a huge difference for me.

Message 6 of 7
Henderson
Aspirant

I used Plex to stream a TV show from the wired PC to the cell phone over the 5.0G wifi and there was zero lag playing Diablo III.  As I expected. 

I usually take a pic of such info when I first set up any device, makes it much easier to get the info when needed later and you realize you didn't record the serial number anywhere.  I just blocked out MAC, serial, password, etc. from the photo for here.

Edit:  Just wanted to add that for the Advanced Wireless Setup for the 5.0G band, I left that at the max of "Up to 1300 Mbps".  I didn't lower it like I did for the 2.4G.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements