Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help with optimal settings on Nighthawk R7800

Katkota
Guide

Help with optimal settings on Nighthawk R7800

Hello folks;

I just received my new R7800 Nighthawk X4S router and i configured it and set it up & i updated the firmware to 1.0.2.38 which is the latest and it works but i noticed the speed im getting now with the new router is less than 27 Mbps while with my old TP Link was around 60 Mbps. I did setup both 5 GH & 2.4 GH and tried few tweaks but nothing helped. Whats the optimal configurations for my new router so i can get the highest speed performance? Please provide any tweaks needed to get the max out of my new router

Thank you in advance 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Killhippie
Prodigy

Its because its not Netgears original firmware, although its built on it. Voxels firmware always shows this, I guess there is some check  in offical firmware to say its the latest so you can use the built in update feature for new offical firmware, but its fine and you can ignore that message and update to Voxels.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
William10a
Master

With out knowing if thats your wifi and which band or your wired lan ports hard to say why the different.

Have you turned qos and traffic monitoring off that may help do not know what speed your paying for even.

Message 2 of 9
Katkota
Guide

My QoS is off and I'm not monitoring. My original speed from my ISP is 60 Mbps and it was always around 60 Mbps when i was using my TP Link router until yesterday. I'm talking about my Wifi and not wired connection. 

Message 3 of 9
Katkota
Guide

I found the solution. I had to do a full reset and then updated teh FW and that fixed the issue. downgrading the FW did not help so i had to go back to the default settings.

Thanks for your help

Message 4 of 9
Killhippie
Prodigy

Generally you can get away with resetting the router after a firmware update. Or if you want a better version using Netgears firmware as a base but far more optimised go to smallnetbuilders (link below) and use Voxels firmware. He updates all the packages and code he can get to that netgear can't be bothered with and believe me thats a lot. Your router is running code that is sometimes over ten years old and vulnerable even in the latest updates. Netgear dont take  updates or security very seriously sadly. QoS should not slow your router down, I use it as it help as I dont have a hugely fast connection and Qualcomms adaptive QoS is very good. Saying that the database has not been updated since April this year, another thing Netgear dont do often.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-40sf-1-0-2-41sf.42222/

Message 5 of 9
Katkota
Guide

Thanks for your advice and for the link. Currently i'm on v1.0.2.36 and when i tried to upgrade to Voxel version 1.0.2.41SF, i got a message saying this Voxel version is older than the version i currently have although i see on Voxel website the date of that version to be 11/2017. Any idea why is that?

Message 6 of 9

@Katkota wrote:

I found the solution. I had to do a full reset and then updated teh FW and that fixed the issue.

It is a painful process, but a full reset is always the first thing to try if you have post-flash problems.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

Message 7 of 9
Killhippie
Prodigy

Its because its not Netgears original firmware, although its built on it. Voxels firmware always shows this, I guess there is some check  in offical firmware to say its the latest so you can use the built in update feature for new offical firmware, but its fine and you can ignore that message and update to Voxels.

Message 8 of 9
Katkota
Guide

I did install it and so far so good. Thanks a lot for all the help 🙂 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements