Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Hi

Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Hi

Hi I have left several ping plotter results over night on my computer and I’m receiving loads of packet loss on every test coming from my router I’ve replaced cables and rebooted the router and updated to the latest version why is this happening as the router is only about a year old and bought it brand new this has been happening from the first day I bought it and it’s making my games very hard to play. I will attach the pictures of he results pinging different servers all showing packet loss.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Message 2 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Message 3 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Message 4 of 26
plemans
Guru

what firmware version are you on?

What modem/gateway do you have it connected to? 

Do all devices do this? 

Or just the one?

Message 5 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

I have it connected to the Dm 200 modem which is another netgear product I have had numerous devices plugged into it mate and nothing changes I have a brand new pc so it’s not that I’ve tested the ping from my pc to my router also but it’s the packet loss that I’m getting every single one it starts from my router and modem iv had these both for a year also so pretty new and iv had bother since I have bought it with no soloutions on a fix
Message 6 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Iam also on the latest firmware according to the router it’s automatically set up to download new firmware
Message 7 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Have we got any soloutions as to why this is happening it’s a very long process in waiting on a reply I respect people are busy also but I seem to be getting no further forward with this product and I could actually say this thing is a waste of people’s money unless there is answers because waiting two hours on an email and the email isn’t coming from netgear them selfs is a bit of a joke when this hardware costs over 250 pound I think it’s very u professional that there is no help for something that is as expensive as that
Message 8 of 26
plemans
Guru

A couple things 

1. The dm200 has its own integrated router with it. Did you disable this? if not, you can have a double nat which causes increased ping times. 

2. dsl has its own inherent latencies and potential ilne issues. Have you tried directly connecting the pc to the dm200 and testing this? 

Message 9 of 26
plemans
Guru

And in terms of it being "the latest", sometimes it isn't. Plus there's beta firmware out for dumaOS 3.0.
Which is why we ask. Which version are you on?
Message 10 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Yes I have tried it straight into the dm200 and it’s the same issues even with my own internet providers own router / modem is the same also when I turn the dm200 into modem only mode it doesn’t seem to be picking up my internet connection is there certain steps to do this and is there anything else that is causing this because iv tried all this stuff before over and over for the past year and nothing has changed.
Message 11 of 26
plemans
Guru

@Andybrenn1989 wrote:
Yes I have tried it straight into the dm200 and it’s the same issues even with my own internet providers own router / modem is the same----So you have the same issue directly into the DM200 as well as when you're using the providers own modem/router? That'd indicate a dsl issue and not a router issue.  also when I turn the dm200 into modem only mode it doesn’t seem to be picking up my internet connection----in modem only mode, you need to also setup the router's internet connection settings. is there certain steps to do this and is there anything else that is causing this because iv tried all this stuff before over and over for the past year and nothing has changed.-----again, if direct into the dm200 AND into the providers modem/router, then it isn't an issue of the XR, its a line/ISP issue. Having a gaming router isn't going to fix a line issue. 

Message 12 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Everyone says it’s an isp issue iv been on the phone to my isp be it’s nothing to do with them I’m getting packetloas on the first hop ahich is obviously coming from
The router. Or the modem what is the steps I take to set it as a modem only ?
Message 13 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

No answer for how to do this ?
Message 14 of 26
plemans
Guru

@Andybrenn1989 wrote:
Everyone says it’s an isp issue iv been on the phone to my isp be it’s nothing to do with them I’m getting packetloas on the first hop ahich is obviously coming from
The router. Or the modem what is the steps I take to set it as a modem only ?

So the ISP is telling you it isn't their issue. But THEIR own modem/router does the same thing as the DM200 from what you've said. If 1 device has an issue, it could be the device. If 2 devices have the same packet loss issue, its not the devices. 

Message 15 of 26
plemans
Guru

@Andybrenn1989 wrote:
No answer for how to do this ?

Or its the fact that this is the community forum and its members of the public helping out for free? 

https://kb.netgear.com/30773/How-do-I-set-my-NETGEAR-DM200-High-Speed-DSL-Modem-to-bridge-mode

Setup the modem then just just putting you isp info into the primary router. 

Or put the primary router in access point mode and let the dm200 handle routing functions. 

Message 16 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

The link u sent tells me how to put it in modem mode only and when I do that there is no internet connection I don’t get what you mean I respect it’s people helping for free and that’s the reason this product to me has been the biggest waste of money and time I have ever had for the price of this router there should be help lines for people who don’t know much about setups. When I put it in modem mode there is no internet detection so that’s the dm 200 obviously that something is messing up inside that is it not
Message 17 of 26
plemans
Guru

Punctuation. Please. No idea where to start that whole thing off. 

when in modem only mode, you setup the dm200, but you also have to put your internet settings into the router as well. 

Its not plug and play like a standard cable modem. 

Message 18 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

What do I need to put into the router also ? Does this expensive peace of equipment not pick all this stuff up automatically ?
Message 19 of 26
plemans
Guru

@Andybrenn1989 wrote:
What do I need to put into the router also ? Does this expensive peace of equipment not pick all this stuff up automatically ?

those settings are specific to your isp. Check with your isp for settings. 

Message 20 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

Yeh I get that mate but what is it I’m looking to change here. What settings is it I have to put into the netgear Xr 500 for it to work
Message 21 of 26
plemans
Guru

did you try the internet setup wizard with your account info specific to your isp? 

Message 22 of 26
Andybrenn1989
Aspirant

The Dm200 will pick my isp info up automatically am I right with saying that ? I don’t have any idea what your meaning
Message 23 of 26
plemans
Guru

I don't have dsl but when I set it up for my parents, I setup the dm200 and got it working, then I  switched it to modem only mode, and then had to install an RAX200 with its own internet settings. That included the login info/settings specific to the isp. That was through the internet setup wizard. I don't have a XR devices so I've never put them in on that specific device. 

Message 24 of 26
antinode
Guru

> The Dm200 will pick my isp info up automatically am I right with
> saying that ?

Sure, depending on what "my isp info" means to you.  If your ISP
gives you a user name and a password for authentication, then of course
the DM200 will automatically guess those credentials.  Makes sense to
me.  Dealing with _secret_ credentials is such a pain.  (Duh?)

The DM200 might still know how it was configured when its router was
active.  If so, then you might be able to extract info from it related
to your Internet connection.  Otherwise, you might need to ask your ISP.

Have you considered the advantages of consulting an organized source
of information, instead of thrashing around?  You might get some ideas
from a widely neglected resource:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"DSL Service" (and so on)?

If your (unspecified) DSL service uses PPPoE, then I'd expect there
to be a user name and password involved.  The router would need to use
them to gain access to your ISP.  That could be your DM200, if you're
using it as a modem+router.  Or it could be your other router, if you're
using the DM200 as a modem-only.  It's not complicated.  But, with my
weak psychic powers, I know approximately nothing about your DSL
service.

> Iam also on the latest firmware according to the router [...]

As always, actual version numbers would be more useful than your
(or your router's) opinion of what's "latest" today.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7