Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: High Bufferbloat, can't find any solutions, have extremely high ping spikes when playing any gam

PCMeier
Aspirant

High Bufferbloat, can't find any solutions, have extremely high ping spikes when playing any game

So just recently ive been getting extremely high ping spikes extremely frequently.  This occurs in every game i play and makes it unplayable.    I have done speed tests and my upload and download speed are great but my bufferbloat is terrible.  it occasionally spikes to nearly 3000.  I haven't found any solutions  so far. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
PCMeier
Aspirant

Re: High Bufferbloat, can't find any solutions, have extremely high ping spikes when playing any gam

I have found a solution that will work.

My solution was buying a  wall adapter ethernet connection.

I found mine on amazon.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Well, you gave no real info?

First question I'd ask is HOW do you know this AND why do you think this is a router problem?

I ask because BUFFER BLOAT can be caused by the MODEM!!! Especially if it has a PUMA 6 chipset. So to rule out the Router, CHECK this list and see if your modem is on it, https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/. If you are a Spectrum customer, you probably have one of the Arris Tx16xx modems. Good luck getting that exchanged... I had a hard time doing that.

Message 2 of 14
myersw
Master

Totally agree with @IrvSp 

When I replaced my modem my buffer bloat went way down. Do not think that the router is the only device that can cause buffer bloat. 

Message 3 of 14
PCMeier
Aspirant

i have done the dslreport.com speed tests

Message 4 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@PCMeier wrote:

i have done the dslreport.com speed tests

and your Buffer Bloat is what?

What is your LATENCY? BB usually has it over 50.

Did you use THIS tool, http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6?

Message 5 of 14
PCMeier
Aspirant

I checked my modem on the list of modems not to buya and mine was one of them, thank  you for the help.  I am buying one soon and  will say later if this solution works

Message 6 of 14
PCMeier
Aspirant

So, I finally got my new modem and the problem still remains, i bought a new wifi chip for my computer and that didnt help.  When i check my internet speed at dslreports.com, I get around 100 megabits download, around 1 megabit  upload(which has also been happening since this problem arose) and my bufferbloat is in the 200-1000, if it even tests its.  Occasionally, it will say latency too high to test.  The wifi chip i  bought was a Netgear  A7000 usb adabter.    I have also checked the connection to servers in game and am getting ping spikes and packet loss

Message 7 of 14
IrvSp
Master

What is the modem you got? Did the ISP approve it and configure it on their backend?

Can you test with a wired connection?

Message 8 of 14
PCMeier
Aspirant

The modem I recently got was a  technicolor dpc3216 that the ISP(Spectrum) gave to me when I asked for my modem to be replaced.    They did not configure the modem, im assuming configure means the same thing as install, I installed the modem.   I cant get a wired connection due to my desktop  being to far away from the modem and router.  

Message 9 of 14
myersw
Master

As @IrvSp  asked

Can you get a wired connection to the modem? 

That will tell is that the ISP and modem are working as they should.

Message 10 of 14
IrvSp
Master

It is not easy to tell if Spectrum changed the configuration or not on the 'back-end'. If they left the old modem configuration it can lead to problems.

However, now you've had two modems doing the same thing? It leads me to speculate that the problem could lie elsewhere?

What I'm thinking about it the distance between modem and device. Since it is wireless, there are two things you can do. One is to test close to the modem and router. Still fails, then start changing BANDS (SSID's) and see if that changes the problem, and while doing that, change Channels as well, you could be having interference.

Lastly, you'll need to get Spectrum out and SHOW them the high numbers and what it causes. Maybe they can figure it out, but if you got rid of a Puma 6 modem and now have one that isn't, you can be sure it isn't the modem causing this. Yes, some routers can cause this, but if it were true, you'd be seeing a LOT of noise here over it?

Here is an OLD thread I was involved in suggesting QoS would fix it, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Bufferbloat/td-p/509840, and it seemed to . However turning QoS on brings in a different set of problems for people with speeds of 100Mbps.

Message 11 of 14
PCMeier
Aspirant

Solutions I have tried

-I bought a new wifi card for my PC and that didn't work

-I replaced the modem(I checked and it still had a PUMA 6 chip) and that didn't work

-I bought a new router and that didn't work

-I tested the bufferbloat on a different computer through the wifi and that results didn't change

-I tested a wired connection to a friends laptop and it fixed the problem but doesn't help my PC(I don't know what this tells me)

-I disconnected every other device besides my PC from the wifi and the bufferbloat still remained.

Message 12 of 14
PCMeier
Aspirant

I also forgot to say that I tried QoS by restricting the wifi by 3% 10% and 50%

It did help but not by much

My rates at 3% were unchanged at aroun 1500ms but at 50% it was at around 500ms so I'm not sure

Message 13 of 14
PCMeier
Aspirant

I have found a solution that will work.

My solution was buying a  wall adapter ethernet connection.

I found mine on amazon.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7