High pitched noise from R7000 under load

cavalry12
Aspirant

High pitched noise from R7000 under load

Every time my R7000 is under load it tends to produce a really high pitched noise. The noise is coming directly from the router and not the power supply. It sounds like churning of a hard drive but at a much higher frequency. I have read this happening to other people as well and I was wondering whether this is a defect or is there anything I can do to minimize the noise.

The router sits right next to my workstation in my home office and the screeching noise is extremely grating. Thanks.
Message 1 of 12
cavalry12
Aspirant

Re: High pitched noise from R7000 under load

I am using the supplied power adapter. Looks like I will be contacting Netgear to have it replaced. Thanks for the help, guys.
Message 2 of 12
cavalry12
Aspirant

Well, I was able to exchange it for a new one at the retailer I bought it from, and this one exhibits a similar problem but to a lesser extent. It is definitely not as loud as the last one, but the annoying screeching noise is still there.

Just to clarify a few things. I'm using the Asus AC-RT68R as a media bridge with the R7000 serving as the primary router. If I pull up the Asus admin page and refresh it, I can hear the noise and I can replicate it ad nauseum. I have a Slingbox (among other things) hooked up to the Asus and as soon as I start it, the screeching starts (indicative of network load/stress).
Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Other than the noise how's it working?
Message 4 of 12
cavalry12
Aspirant

The old one worked flawlessly save for the noise, and the new one is working great, too. I am not sure if we are allowed to link to other forums, but I found a pretty detailed set of posts about this very same problem on smallbuilder.net. Previous versions of the router have had the issue as well.

Additionally, I have sensitive hearing so people over 50 may not be able to discern the noise on account of high frequency hearing loss due to age. If I had the option I would have moved the router some where out of sight but, unfortunately, the current arrangements prohibits it.
Message 5 of 12
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

cavalry12 wrote:
I am not sure if we are allowed to link to other forums, but I found a pretty detailed set of posts about this very same problem on smallbuilder.net.

You are allowed. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 12
jxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

same issue with my R7000, is it a common issue??? i'm just thinking if return it or change a new one & try again.....Smiley SadSmiley SadSmiley Sad
Message 7 of 12
Markeem
Aspirant

Unfortunatley this seems to be a common issue. Some are lucky because they have the router at a place where the noise isn't an issue.

I've had 3 r7000 so far, all made the noise to the same extend. Currently I am contacting the support but I'm waiting for an answer for over a week now.
Message 8 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Neither one of the two R7000's that I've had have made a peep. That was back in October, though, so evidently they've made some manufacturing changes, and are not testing the ones that are currently going out well enough. Maybe they're spot testing, but are missing the noisy ones, don't know. Sad. That would drive me crazy, sorry for anyone that's suffering with this.
Message 9 of 12
jxx
Aspirant
Aspirant

so, seems it's manufactory batches issue... i will return current one & wait for new rev....:mad:
Message 10 of 12
Markeem
Aspirant

The support told me that the issue has now officially been acknowledged and Netgear is working on it. 50 R7000 from various countries are being send to the development center in Taiwan, where they will analyse the issue further. They will find a solution but it will probably take quiet some time until fixed devices will be available for sale. My guess is atleast 2-3 months.

If the noise is an issue in your surroundings, you should wait until Netgear has officially fixed the issue.
Message 11 of 12
nanias
Novice

Sorry for reviving this thread but is there any news from Netgear about the noise issue?
Regards
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements