DSP8000
Aspirant

Hissing sound when using WiFi

Hi all,

I have just received my new Netgear R7000 and I love it! Great design, performance ... with one exception.

It seems that every time I utilize the WiFi (data transfer, download ... on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) the router makes hissing sound. Google reveals few reports that link to the SmallNetBuilder forums as well as Netgear where other people have experienced similar if not the very same issue.

According to this forum, the last opinion is that Netgear is aware, however there is no definitive clear answer if this IS an issue or can be resolved with Firmware update.

I am running stock firmware, latest available from Netgear version 1.0.3.68

Could any of the Netgear Support team members provide clarification? If this indicates faulty device I would like to get it exchanged.

Thanks in advance.
Ivan
Message 1 of 6
Shadowlore
Guide

Re: Hissing sound when using WiFi

A hissing sound is a bit weird.

In my experience, when you have a 'hissing' it's usually a capacitor leaking inside the unit.

However, I THOUGHT the R7000 series had solid capacitors... I'd replace the unit.
~ Shadowlore
Message 2 of 6
DSP8000
Aspirant

In my experience, when you have a 'hissing' it's usually a capacitor leaking inside the unit.

Correct, that was my initial reaction as well. Hence I posted the question here. Logged RMA with Netgear and will be sending the unit for replacement.

Pity that customer has to pay for shipping back the faulty device. In my dealing with other manufacturers they would send you pre-paid satchel and you just send it back.

I see no reason as to why the customer has to pay shipping for faulty device. Unfortunately, Netgear support could not provide any alternative support. So I guess, I will have to pay for shipping after all.
Message 3 of 6
LeeH
Prodigy

A few others on this forum have reported this behavior. It is a hardware issue not a firmware issue. You could try replacing the unit but you may get another one that hisses. It appears that some people are able to hear this while others do not.
Message 4 of 6
DSP8000
Aspirant

LeeH wrote:
You could try replacing the unit but you may get another one that hisses.

Well, that does not seem to be the correct approach. I am sure if your iPhone is faulty you go to Apple store and get a replacement that is fully functional. You don't just "hope" to get a fully working device.

Could any of the Netgear Support team members provide clarification on this please.

I most certainly have much better things to do instead of hoping to get device that does not exhibit this issue.

Netgear?
Message 5 of 6
Shadowlore
Guide

*laughing*

Funny you should bring up the whole iPhone thing.. I have to take a trip to the Apple store to replace one that we just had replaced here at the office a few weeks ago. (touch screen digitizer seems to be flaky)

Getting a replacement model of ANYTHING doesn't guarantee it'll work correctly forever.

That said, you may have had better luck at a local store. (Buying a new one, and returning the bad one, depends entirely if the serial number is recorded when it's purchased.. for most routers and such, it's not)
~ Shadowlore
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements