Home Networking with Netgear router, extender, and switch

EBXHOMM
Aspirant

Home Networking with Netgear router, extender, and switch

Hello:

I recently purchased the Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300 router.  I already had a Netgear extender WNR2000vnr and a switch (NetgearProSafe 24-Port Switch JSF524).  I noticed the Nighthawk allows for three different WiFi connection (Netgear_ 5G, Netgear_5G2, and my own name of the network).  My issues are as follows:

When connecting to the network drives (I have two network hard drives), I can only connect them through the WiFi, but not through the wired connection on my computers.

This is worrysome because I would like to access my printer, HDD, and other peripherals at my own convenience without going through the WiFi.  Although I  am grateful of still connecting, how would it be the best possible way to have my computers on the wired connection able to open my network drives and printers without going wireless?

Please contact me at ngonzc@yahoo.com and thank you for your assistance.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Home Networking with Netgear router, extender, and switch

@EBXHOMM wrote:

Hello:

I recently purchased the Netgear Nighthawk X8 AC5300 router.  I already had a Netgear extender WNR2000vnr and a switch (NetgearProSafe 24-Port Switch JSF524). 

How are things connected to these various boxes?

A map of the connections might help someone to suggest where things are going wrong.

Any chance that there is a conflict over which box is acting as the DHCP server?

The WNR2000vnr does not appear in the Netgear database, or Google, so it is hard to check what it can do.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E