Home R7800 WiFi router. Accessing work from home through a VPN.

SigLabhart
Follower

Home R7800 WiFi router. Accessing work from home through a VPN.

Hi All.  I use the r7800 to gain access to my home network.  I am now required to work from home by access my companies vpn server.  I use shrewsoft and when I try to make a vpn connection from my wireless network hosted by the r7800, I can never connect to the office vpn server.  Now, if I create a hotspot with my mobile phone and connect to my mobile phone, I can make a vpn connection through my mobile phone to my office vpn server.  I never change the vpn software configuration.  That leads me to think either my r7800 is not configured correctly or the r7800 does not allow outbound vpn through it.  

Does the r7800 allow outbound vpn through it as explained above?  If it does provide outbound vpn service through it in a different way, please help me and explain?

Thanks in advance.

Sig Labhart

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
JamesGL
Master

Re: Home R7800 WiFi router. Accessing work from home through a VPN.

Hi SigLabhart,

Check if the VPN server uses a port number. Open it via port forwarding on the router. If still not working, try to connect your computer directly to the modem and check if you can access the VPN.

Message 2 of 3
mondenath
Prodigy

Re: Home R7800 WiFi router. Accessing work from home through a VPN.

It will allow VPN passthrough. But what do mean by VPN hosted in R7800. It is bit misleading.

All you are going to do is use the company provided software and connect to vpn tunnel with your internet connection. It works like every other vpn service will work.

But in Corporate connections. It is mandate to sync the client to server even though the soft token is validated it is 1 time process your PC needs to be approved in the backend of the RSA server.

But you said that mobile hotspot worked well. May be you are explaining things differently.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E