Home setup questions on cable modem and router with Xfinity

whitetiger97
Aspirant

Home setup questions on cable modem and router with Xfinity

Hello

I know enough to be dangerous on modems, routers and setting up all of this.

I am running the Nighthawk R8300 router off of the Nighthawk Netgear C7000v2modem/router. Using cat8 cables. 24ga. Both in the same office room about 6 ft apart on the highest areas I can above everything else. I like to stay ahead of future upgrades without changing a lot of equipment each time. Looking at price vs proper equipment without over kill.
This is for a house that is running Xfinity service 300mbps. House isn't too large, like 3000-3500 sqft on one level.

Main internet needs are:
a desktop wired to the 8300. Then wifi everything else in the house. 2 large screen tv HD (not 4k) using firesticks, laptop, a couple of phones, smart home items, garage door openers, wifi door locks, 5 echos, smart outlets and switches. No gaming (too old for that.) LOL

The TVs seem to buffer a lot. So I'm looking to upgrade the modem to the Netgear CM1200 and connect to the R8300.

I might boost my service to 600mbps but someday may need 1gb.

Questions:

Is it worth link aggregation? Will it help under 1gbps? 

Should I just go with the CM1000 instead of the CM1200? (doesn't have link aggregation capabilities.)
Is the orbi worth the price right now with my needs.

Should I replace the R8300 and C7000. I would like to move up to wifi 6 but there are other routers than the Orbi.

My main goal is to get the streaming tv service running better (And possibly, it is just might be the service.) Add about 4-5 cameras for security. The security might end up as a seperate setup on it's own system just for easy of the home wifi.

I'm very open to other suggestions. I'm looking to make this easy to understand and setup.
I have read so much that my mind is cluttered.
Thank you all.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Home setup questions on cable modem and router with Xfinity

@whitetiger97 wrote:

Hello

I know enough to be dangerous on modems, routers and setting up all of this.

I am running the Nighthawk R8300 router off of the Nighthawk Netgear C7000v2modem/router. Using cat8 cables. 24ga. Both in the same office room about 6 ft apart on the highest areas I can above everything else. I like to stay ahead of future upgrades without changing a lot of equipment each time. Looking at price vs proper equipment without over kill.
This is for a house that is running Xfinity service 300mbps. House isn't too large, like 3000-3500 sqft on one level.

Main internet needs are:
a desktop wired to the 8300. Then wifi everything else in the house. 2 large screen tv HD (not 4k) using firesticks, laptop, a couple of phones, smart home items, garage door openers, wifi door locks, 5 echos, smart outlets and switches. No gaming (too old for that.) LOL

The TVs seem to buffer a lot. So I'm looking to upgrade the modem to the Netgear CM1200 and connect to the R8300.

I might boost my service to 600mbps but someday may need 1gb.

Questions:

Is it worth link aggregation? Will it help under 1gbps? 

Should I just go with the CM1000 instead of the CM1200? (doesn't have link aggregation capabilities.)
Is the orbi worth the price right now with my needs.

Should I replace the R8300 and C7000. I would like to move up to wifi 6 but there are other routers than the Orbi.

My main goal is to get the streaming tv service running better (And possibly, it is just might be the service.) Add about 4-5 cameras for security. The security might end up as a seperate setup on it's own system just for easy of the home wifi.

I'm very open to other suggestions. I'm looking to make this easy to understand and setup.
I have read so much that my mind is cluttered.
Thank you all.

You've got a lot to address.

1. no. In my experience, link aggregation isn't worth it. It might be >1gig service but I've ran the arris SB8200 and the netgear CM1100 with link aggregation and had nothing but issues. 

2. I wouldn't look at the modem yet. If the c7000 is supplying the speed over hardwired connection, its more likely a connection/wifi issue. Does it hit your 300mbps that you pay for over an ethernet connection?

Is the c7000 in bridged mode or the R8300 in ap (access point) mode? to prevent a double nat?

3. Orbi is a great option to help with wifi issues. I have a house of similar size and have a router/satellite on every floor.

4. streaming can also present its own issues. you put that you're streaming on firesticks. not sure which one you have but the 1st gens were horrible for streaming. its gotten better. make sure any streamers are on 5ghz signal. 2.4ghz can have issues.  Have you noticed a difference between streaming services? youtube/netflix will buffer a bit ahead to prevent skipping but live broadcasts can't do this. They tend to be more sensitive to bandwidth. have you noticed a differnce between different apps/streaming services? 

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> RAXE500->
Message 2 of 9
whitetiger97
Aspirant

Thank you for the information.

At the desktop I do get close to my 300mbps that I pay for. My laptop is only capable of 20mbps because it's only has 802.11ac.

I honestly don't know if the C7000 is in bridge mode or if the R8300 is in point access. Before getting the c7000 I had centurylink service and was running the R8300 on it. Then I moved and Xfinity was the only thing I could get. The C7000 is a modem / router and I know that I am connecting to both routers with different wifis. Also I don't know if the R8300 it is set up as an access point. This will be a couple of things I can look up and check out. 
Do you have any recommendations as to which way I need to set them up?

The firesticks are the newest generation and 4k. And I try to always run them on 5ghz. I noticed that there is not much memory left ont he firesticks so I'm looking at how to free up more.

Most of what I watch is live tv. I also have Sling and it seems to do better. I also noticed that I Sling generally runs better with less buffering.

Orbi sounds good and maybe an update to just the router is what I need. 

Again, thank you for your help.

Off to do some more research

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

@whitetiger97 wrote:

Thank you for the information.

At the desktop I do get close to my 300mbps that I pay for. My laptop is only capable of 20mbps because it's only has 802.11ac.----AC is dual band. you should be able to connect to the 5ghz and get faster speeds. a lot depends on distance/home structure too. 

I honestly don't know if the C7000 is in bridge mode or if the R8300 is in point access. Before getting the c7000 I had centurylink service and was running the R8300 on it. Then I moved and Xfinity was the only thing I could get. The C7000 is a modem / router and I know that I am connecting to both routers with different wifis. Also I don't know if the R8300 it is set up as an access point. This will be a couple of things I can look up and check out. 
Do you have any recommendations as to which way I need to set them up?
Go this route:  modem-----C7000 (router mode on)------R8300 (ap mode).   Then just make sure the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are seperated out on the c7000 and r8300 so they don't interfere with each other. It gives you additional bands/wireless to use in case one band is overloaded with devices. Even better if you can seperate them out a ways wired. (aka one at each end of the home)

The firesticks are the newest generation and 4k. And I try to always run them on 5ghz. I noticed that there is not much memory left ont he firesticks so I'm looking at how to free up more.----memory for apps or ram memory? firesticks do a good job of using avaiable ram. 

Most of what I watch is live tv. I also have Sling and it seems to do better. I also noticed that I Sling generally runs better with less buffering.

Orbi sounds good and maybe an update to just the router is what I need. -----I'd try seperating them and setting them up properly first. You might be surprised at how well they'll run. together. You won't have the single ssid function of orbi but you should have pretty good coverage. 

Again, thank you for your help.

Off to do some more research

Message 4 of 9
whitetiger97
Aspirant

Thank you once again for all your help an suggestions. I'll work on these changes and post what I come up with.

The only one I can't really do is the seperate the router and the modem with cable as the house isn't setup to run wires (reasonably)  except along the walls. There isn't any crawl space or attic. 

I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Like I mentioned in the original post, I know enough to be dangerous. LOL

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

You could always try a powerline adapter or even moca adapter to seperate them out a bit. Not saying you have to but if you're trying for better coverage, it might be worth a shot. 

Message 6 of 9
whitetiger97
Aspirant

That is a possiblility that I will look into the maco adapters if I want o move them a distance away. That is a good tip because i do have coacial cable in all rooms.

I did look into the bridge mode on my modem and I could not  find where that is an option when I login to routerlogin.net  .  I googled, I went to  Netgear  , I watched  Youtube videos. And every time  I got to what it was saying about clicking on  Bridge Mode, it didn't have the option to click  it on the screen for the  modem settings. 
I also checked on having the router in AP  mode . I did have  it connected as MODEM>ROUTER>DESKTOP.   Firesticks are wifi of the modem 5ghz and just about  everything else is connected to teh router  wifi.

Running both 2.4 and 5 Ghz on both modem/router and router. 

I ran speed tests from Xfinity and they all say I'm running over 300mbps.  Both from the modem to the desktop and through the router to the desktop  (wired)
I've run numerous speed tests from links in google and they all say I'm running at >50mbps.    I don't know if I need to call Xfinity  or not. I know they will say that their test shows that I am running over my speed and not do anything.

I'm so I'm at a stand still right now. 

Thanks for all your great information.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@whitetiger97 wrote:

That is a possiblility that I will look into the maco adapters if I want o move them a distance away. That is a good tip because i do have coacial cable in all rooms.-----a great option to seperate them out a bit Smiley Happy 

I did look into the bridge mode on my modem and I could not  find where that is an option when I login to routerlogin.net  .  I googled, I went to  Netgear  , I watched  Youtube videos. And every time  I got to what it was saying about clicking on  Bridge Mode, it didn't have the option to click  it on the screen for the  modem settings. Here's how to do it.https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only
I also checked on having the router in AP  mode . here's how to change to AP mode for the 2nd router. https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...I did have  it connected as MODEM>ROUTER>DESKTOP.   Firesticks are wifi of the modem 5ghz and just about  everything else is connected to teh router  wifi.

Running both 2.4 and 5 Ghz on both modem/router and router. 

I ran speed tests from Xfinity and they all say I'm running over 300mbps.  Both from the modem to the desktop and through the router to the desktop  (wired)
I've run numerous speed tests from links in google and they all say I'm running at >50mbps. ----links in google? be specific. try speedtest.com or dslreports.com   and are you talking hardwired or wireless?    I don't know if I need to call Xfinity  or not.---if you're hitting full speeds, hardwired, there isn't much xfinity can do. its more of a setup issue.  I know they will say that their test shows that I am running over my speed and not do anything.

I'm so I'm at a stand still right now. 

Thanks for all your great information.

Message 8 of 9
whitetiger97
Aspirant

I followed your instructions and I got things running about the same. I have changed the channels on the wireless wifi setting of both routers.

When I turned off the router mode of the modem it went crazy and started to add devices in the 98.xx.xx.x range. It added like 150 devices on the router mapping. The modem seemed to lock up and I ultimately had to factory reset the modem. 

All my speed tests were run as hardwired both from the modem.router and the though the router.

I'll keep testing and researching things to check. Maybe it is as simple as a bad cable. Or maybe the Nighthawk Router (r8300) is getting old. It is about 2 1/2- 3yrs old. The modem is only about 8 months old. My biggest concern it buffering of the tv/firsticks. It is live tv. Maybe I need to boost the speed to 600mbps. But if I do that I need to update the modem. 

Thank youfor your help and suggestions. 
I appreciate the time you took to help me and answer my questions.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements