Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Horrible horrible warranty service

m1tche11j
Follower

Horrible horrible warranty service

Purchased the router (RAX120) in January of this year ($500), within the first couple of months the router kept "locking up" i.e all SSIDs would dissapear, the unit would be unresponsive to any ping requests, the LED lights would freeze on their last state (i.e either on or off). 

I've factory reset the router once using a software reset and one using the hardware 30-30-30 reset. I've updated to all the latest firmwares. When the router dies it doesn't even respond to ARP requests. 

When I called Netgear in March I was told this was a known issue and a firmware update would be coming out, so I reluctantly agreed to wait for the updated firmware and test it again. 

New firmware comes out, same problem happens, once every 1-2 weeks the device just acts like an expensive door stop. 

Called netgear again - this time they try and extort me out of $90 for a "gear heads" subscription, had to email legal@ in order for the to even talk to me about the issue they promised would be fixed. Eventually I was graced with a "free" support call to a gearhead (*sigh*). 

Get through to them - 

"Have you tried turning it off and on again"

I explain the issue, explain that it works fine for 1-2 weeks and then just stops and hangs until physical power cycle. 

"What are the lights on the unit doing right now" 

I read back the lights, explain the router is working right this second but I also explain what the lights do when it does break

"The lights are showing the unit is working so we are unable to help with a hardware replacement" 

At this point, I just feel like Netgear are trying to rip every one of their consumers off 😞 The "oh just wait a little longer" tactic of waiting until you have expired your 90 days tech support in order to be able ot bill customers $90 to replace a broken product is clearly a horrible tactic. 

Unfortuantley this entire situation has left a sour taste in my mouth and despite using netgear hardware previously with no issues I can't say the same will be true in the future. I've had to refer the warranty "hidden fees" to the California Department of Consumer Affairs so hopefully someone will take some heed. 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Horrible horrible warranty service

You'll probably find better help and support if you post in the following forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/bd-p/en-home-routers-nighthawk-wif...

Good Luck

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7