Horrible!

mhayduk
Aspirant

Horrible!

Terrible! Never again, I will probably just put it in the trash. Every dam time you try to login to the router from a computer it tells you that the browser has cached the page by ACCIDENT!!!! BS BS BS learn to write software Netgear. SO I have to clear my entire history for the 1000 time then every dam website I visit I have to reenter information that is should remember. Horrible Horrible product, belongs in the the circular file!

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Horrible!

What modem are you connect it to?

What firmwre is on the router? 

I've ran multiple routers/mesh devices/extenders and never had that notice. 

Current setup: CM2000-> RBKE963B-> Trendnet TEG-S380-> GS716T-> pi-hole
also in AP setup: RAXE500->EAX80
1.4gig download/50mbps upload from Xfinity
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 2 of 14

@mhayduk wrote:

Every dam time you try to login to the router from a computer it tells you that the browser has cached the page by ACCIDENT!!!!

Funny, I have never seen a mesage like that. Nor is it a regular complaint here. Indeed, I can't recall seeing it before.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 14
microchip8
Master

I've never seen that either. Also, the OP does not tell which OS he's using, which browser(s) it occurs, which firmware version on the router.

Judging from his post, he's not looking for a solution but a place to blow some steam off. IMHO, there's something wrong with his system/browser config instead of the router/firmware

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: v1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 4 of 14
mhayduk
Aspirant

Thanks for the response and sorry for the Horrible review, but this seems to continually happen. I attched a copy of what I am recieving!? Could this be because my desktop are hard wired into the router not on the "WIFI" network?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 14
microchip8
Master

Does this also happen if you use the router's IP address at http://192.168.1.1 ?

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 20 TB
Message 6 of 14
mhayduk
Aspirant

So the plot thickens, the router is setup as an access point behind anothr router, so 192.168.1.1 sends me to my providers website for login to the their router from there!

Message 7 of 14
microchip8
Master

Then find out the IP address of the AP and use that to login to it. The routerlogin.net URL is mostly used in router mode, not AP

Message 8 of 14

@microchip8 wrote:

Then find out the IP address of the AP and use that to login to it. The routerlogin.net URL is mostly used in router mode, not AP

Indeed, AP mode breaks many things:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That's by design. After all, by disabling the router bit, you have told the device not to manage addressing.

So getting hot under the collar because it won't do something you told it to not do is a bit dense.

I use the desktop genie to find the IP address. I then fix the AP's IP address so that it doesn't move and I can use a bookmark to get there. Works every time.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 14
mhayduk
Aspirant

Ok that makes sense but it would helpful to publish that in locations where people might look when running into this issue! Perhaps on that page that comes up when told to purge your cache..."if in AP mode, do this!". 

Router now marginal and reserving judgement...Netgear Community Forum , High marks for rapid response and help. Thanks!

Message 10 of 14
microchip8
Master

If you can, you should switch your ISP modem/router to bridge mode and use the NG router to do the routing work. I bet it is more powerful and has better coverage than the one provided by your ISP, which are in most cases sub-par

Message 11 of 14

@microchip8 wrote:

....which are in most cases sub-par

To put it mildly.

Just another user.

Message 12 of 14

@mhayduk wrote:

Ok that makes sense but it would helpful to publish that in locations where people might look when running into this issue!

Good point, but people would still need the wit to look for it.

A better option would be for the device itself to alert people when they log in. That is not the "purge your cache" page, which seems to be unique to you.

Failed attempts to get at routerlogin.net would work were it not for the fact that the response depends on the other hardware in there, including the router bit of the modem. And that comes from many different manufacturers.

@mhayduk wrote:

Router now marginal and reserving judgement...

As @microchip8 says, see if you can disable the router bit of the modem/router. You don't seem to have answered the question from @plemans and provided that vital bit of information. (That would have stopped this saga in its tracks.) But if you search the web for the modem number and "bridge mode" there is a good chance that you will find something helpful. This is a common issue that comes up here pretty well every day.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 14
schumaku
Guru

As long as your computer or mobile is connected to that router in AP mode (with wireless devices able to free roaming a hit and miss unless you have deployed dedicated SSIDs, and aloso note not all router in AP mode are supporting all Ethernet ports as LAN ports) the routerlogin.net/.com are supposed to continue to be trapped, the DNS query (as long as it's not "secured" or "encrypted" DNS - where the DNS queries are sent encrypted to some cloud services - a feature some browsers offer!) is captured and the LAN IP is resolved to that device LAN IP.

This can obviously not work if your computer/mobile device communication data does not flow through that access point.

The only alternate approach on these consumer routers configured to AP mode is to find the LAN IP address assigned by the effective router - locate the router MAC address (as printed on the device label) on the router DHCP table, then access the AP-mode-router under that IP.

There is not much horrible here - it's how networking works. 

I must admit that Netgear's real SOHO/SMB network devices [ignore the WAC1xx] are much easier to handle than these consumer devices - they announce the availability on the network by UPnP SSDP (Simple Service Discovery Protocol) and Bonjour [for the Apple world] - and become visible in Windows Explorer or Safari Bonjour Bookmarks. And if you want to manage these in a much easier way, Netgear Insight is the way to go - also for home installations.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E