Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How To Setup Two separate Wireless Networks?

mtp1032
Tutor

How To Setup Two separate Wireless Networks?

My home network uses the Pakedge RE-2 muiltizone mesh network. I need to establish a second independent WiFi because the weather monitor system I've just aquired cannot be installed using a mesh network like Pakedge (or Orbi, Velop, etc.,).

My house is served by a Spectrum internet cable connected to my pakedge modem. My Nighthawk router is connected via an ethernet cable to the pakedge modem and configured as an access point. The Nighthawk WiFi SSD and the Pakedge WiFi SSD both show as available and I can easily connect to one or the other (but not both simultaneously).

Alas, I am unable to install the weather monitoring station as it does not (cannot) connect to the Nighthawk's WiFi. I'm hesitant to configure the Nighthawk as a router because having two routers can lead to translation problems (as I've learned from reading other posts). But perhaps there's a way to mitigate these issues. 

So, should my Nighthawk be configured differently, perhaps as a second router instead of an access point? And if so, how?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: How To Setup Two separate Wireless Networks?

I haven't found a IoT/smart device that can't be connected to a mesh system. 

What I have found is lazy coders who force your phone/setup device to be on the same 2.4ghz band the smart device uses for setup. 

If you're netgear router is using bandsteering, it might have your phone on the 5ghz and the weather station not be able to connect to it for setup. Same with your pakedge system. 

make sure your phone/tablet/setup device is on the 2.4ghz during setup. You could do this with the netgear or you might even be able to get the pakedge system working without needing the other router. 

If you want to get the netgear working, disable bandsteering (also called smart connect) and give the 2.4ghz a different name from the 5ghz.  That way you can ensure you connect to the 2.4ghz. If you leave the 2.4ghz with the name you'll have once its setup, when you re-enable bandsteering, the smart device should auto-connect to the smart device. 

Message 2 of 5
mtp1032
Tutor

I'm a former software engineer (o/s and drivers, not networks) and I couldn't agree more with your comment about lazy coders. I'll give your suggestion a whirl. Thanks

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

good luck!

Like I said, I haven't found one I couldn't get connected with a little work. 

Not trying to push you away from netgear but if you're already got a solid mesh system, another router only adds potential interference

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Replied on this post instead of the other one. 🙂

I was looking at the manual for pakedge. Seems they have a dhcp leases section and other connected devices section. Might be worth looking under that section for the netgears IP address. I attached a screen snip of it 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7