How can I change R7000 workgroup name from WORKGROUP to SERVICCO?

StanH
Tutor

I have 3 Windows 10 and 1 Windows 98 with that workgroup name.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Re: How can I change R7000 workgroup name from WORKGROUP to SERVICCO?

You'll find it under the ADVANCED, USB FUNCTION, READYSHARE STORAGE tab.

Message 2 of 9
IrvSp
Master

Also be aware that to use NET VIEW to see it or Windows Explorer NETWORK you must enable SMB1 client on all W10 PC's.

Message 3 of 9
IrvSp
Master

My R7000 is not in use as of 2 weeks ago. Without SMB1 on ALL Win10 PC's I could not do NET VIEW, see all/any NETWORK shares on Explorer, or use a NETWORK icon to see the network. Master Browser appeared to be broken.

Point me to the README for which release this was added to? If it was there are other problems then that still require SMB1 to make shares work. Even on the R8000 that I am now using I need SMB1.

This need for SMB1 is a widespread problem, not only for Netgear routers. Google "routers that need smb1 for sharing" for instance or look at this https://www.google.com/search?q=routers+that+need+smb1+for+sharing+site:community.netgear.com&client... which is specific to Netgear reports. Of particular interest to me at least is this, https://kb.netgear.com/000038779/Security-Advisory-for-CVE-2017-7494-Samba-Remote-Code-Execution, and the R7000 is not on the list but R7000P is?

Now that said, I did notice once on my R7000 when I could NOT see the Readyshare on my iPad's DLNA client which had both DLNA and SAMBA servers options, that SAMBA did work? So it is possible that the 'fix' is more than just enabling SMB2 or higher in Readyshare. Trust me, SMB1 client needs to be enabled on the R8000 and R7000 at least as of the last released firmware as of March 22nd 2018. Do you have PROOF otherwise? Is there someone who does have it working on Windows 10 without SMB1 client enabled and has NET VIEW working and showing \\READYSHARE?

=============

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark
-----------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500      Laraine's XPS8500
\\READYSHARE           readyshare
The command completed successfully.

==========

I've got it on. I'd have to reboot to turn it off, but I'll not bother. If you don't beleive me, reply and I will reboot and show you.

Long discussion on this at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/can-t-access-readyshare-after-win-10-update-... and you might glean from that that only the R9000 (might be beta f/w under test) has a screen/tab to select the version of SMB Readyshare uses (msg #14).

Actually MS covers Explorer Browser in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-serve... at the very end and I've tried that method and it still didn't work. Turning on SMB1 is the only cure right now.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@Case850wrote:

@JamesGL

Does the R7000 support SMB3 or doesn't it?

If the R7000 does support SMB3 can you prove to us that it works?

SMB is a transport protocol - and it's unrelated to host announcement/discovery, name resolution. SMB3 support does not imply WSD is added.

All Nighthawk routers are (as of writing) supporting NetBIOS only. WSD (WS-Discovery) is not available yet.

Message 5 of 9
IrvSp
Master

So I

@Case850, you know, it 'may' be working (SMB2/3) in the R7000?

I looked more closely at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-serve..., particularly this section:

==================

Explorer Network Browsing

Explorer Network Browsing The Computer Browser service relies on the SMBv1 protocol to populate the Windows Explorer Network node (also known as "Network Neighborhood"). This legacy protocol is long deprecated, doesn't route, and has limited security. Because the service cannot function without SMBv1, it is removed at the same time.

However, if you still have to use the Explorer Network in home and small business workgroup environments to locate Windows-based computers, you can follow these steps on your Windows-based computers that no longer use SMBv1:

Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).

When you open Explorer Network, enable network discovery when you are prompted.

All Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings will now appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Contact your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still don't appear in this browse list after the Windows devices appear. It is possible they have this protocol disabled or that they support only SMBv1.

Note We recommend that you map drives and printers instead of enabling this feature, which still requires searching and browsing for their devices. Mapped resources are easier to locate, require less training, and are safer to use. This is especially true if these resources are provided automatically through Group Policy. An administrator can configure printers for location by methods other than the legacy Computer Browser service by using IP addresses, Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS), Bonjour, mDNS, uPnP, and so on.

=================

So I tried doing that, the delayed start for the 2 services. Doesn't really work... never was prompted and never saw the shares either.

===============

C:\>net view
System error 1231 has occurred.

The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

C:\>net view \\readyshare
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

C:\>net view \\192.168.1.1
Shared resources at \\192.168.1.1
readyshare
Share name   Type  Used as  Comment
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USB_Storage  Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password
The command completed successfully.

============

However it does say you  should use the IP Address as you see above does work. Of course with a DHCP IP Address handed out randomly this really isn't useful, is it? Especially if one does a NET USE... 

By the way,

Just maybe, @JamesGL is right? With SMB3 enabled ReadyShare function on the ROUTER can see the attached USB drive (as it does). Maybe that was the change made?

So what I think might be the problem is Win10? It needs a 'new' way of doing Network Neighborhood and NET VIEW? If so, then my statement was correct. Personally, I can't believe MS would not have NET VIEW working in W10 without SMB1?

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSpwrote:

Just maybe, @JamesGL is right?

Don't know which post you are referring to.

@IrvSp wrote:

With SMB3 enabled ReadyShare function on the ROUTER can see the attached USB drive (as it does). Maybe that was the change made?

\\192.168.1.1\ or the like might work.

The Nighthawk (NetBIOS based) router host announcement is very unreliable - it does not show up on my Windows 10 systems as a PC/Server. Oddly, the NetBIOS name resolution as called by the net utility does work.

@IrvSp wrote:

So what I think might be the problem is Win10? It needs a 'new' way of doing Network Neighborhood and NET VIEW? If so, then my statement was correct. Personally, I can't believe MS would not have NET VIEW working in W10 without SMB1?

The problem is that Netgear has missed to adopt and enhance the platform towards the many year long announced disposal of NetBIOS and SMB 1.0. Just adding SMB3 is just a point fix, not a complete solution.

Message 7 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@schumakuwrote:

@IrvSpwrote:

Just maybe, @JamesGL is right?

Don't know which post you are referring to.

Message #6 where you said he said it was SMB3 already.

Message 8 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

If you still have issues with SMB3 on R7000, please provide me your contact information.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements