Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I add mac address using Android app

Cyberchipz
Aspirant

How do I add mac address using Android app

Naturally, all my support options are dead.  Of course, I didn't need them when I set everything up, all the wifi access various speeds for various devices, etc.  Then I moved the device central to the house!  Everything works great until my wife gets a new phone, and I have to add the device to the allow list so it can have access... But, I didn't want to go to the hassle of connecting a computer up to "one of the 4 ports" on the back; I thought that's why I had the android Nighthawk app.  Apparently not?  Well, it appears that I can do a lot from that app; but, I can't add a new device's mac address to give it access.  Great for security; but, a real pain right now...
Am I to understand that I can't add a new mac to the allow list without manually connecting via one of the 4 ports in the back.

In other words, I can't do this through the app; is this right?

If I cannot, I guess I'll bite the bullet for the security... (sigh) 😉 

Thanks for any input... 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: How do I add mac address using Android app

You can't do everything with the Nighthawk app as it's pretty basic. If you need to fully manage your router, use a web browser at http://192.168.1.1

And a warning. Never do firmware updates using apps or WiFi, unless you want a bricked router. Use a wired connection and a browser to the Web UI of the router

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Am I to understand that I can't add a new mac to the allow list
> without manually connecting via one of the 4 ports in the back.

What led you to that conclusion?

If the Nighthawk app doesn't do what you want, then I'd use a web
browser.  The computer/device where that web browser runs must be
connected to your (unspecified) router, but either a wired or wireless
connection should work.

> In other words, I can't do this through the app; is this right?

I have no idea.  I avoid Netgear-supplied apps.  I use a web browser.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read?

Message 2 of 7
microchip8
Master

You can't do everything with the Nighthawk app as it's pretty basic. If you need to fully manage your router, use a web browser at http://192.168.1.1

And a warning. Never do firmware updates using apps or WiFi, unless you want a bricked router. Use a wired connection and a browser to the Web UI of the router

Message 3 of 7
Cyberchipz
Aspirant

@antinode Thank you for asking.  As a network guy, I apologise if it seemed I made an assumption; I did. When I think of connecting via any hard wired port; even if that port is connected to another router, or switch, I think of it (indirectly) as a physical connection to the port in the Nighthawk.  So, I took some shortcuts in my description, rather than go into details of my network setup and I'm sorry that was confusing.  To clarify, I do not have a redily accessable machine that connects via any method directly to one Nighthawk ports... permanently.  I suspected I would have to make that hardwire connection; just as I did when I first configured the Nighthawk.  I'm also still in the process of determining my final network configuration as long as I have access to the internet.  However, it appeared at first blush that the app would provide me with the kind of remote access I would need.  Apparently that is not true.  Again, OK by me.

@microchip8 I am able to log into the nighthawk via a mobile app; however, my Nighthawk did not want to provide my mobile device a wireless connection to the 192.168.0.1 web based browser; but even that is OK by me. 

@antinode I was merely wondering if the app would be able to give me access to that setting on the router and somehow in spite of scouring every path in the app I could not find a way to access those permissions.  I appreciate your letting me know you don't know about the apps functionality.  And, I will add, that from a security perspective, I can appreciate that, once I basically lock out any new devices, one requires a physical connection to add that new device.  I'm not 100% positive that it's required; and if I needed to add a new device remotely using the app I could appreciate having remote access; however, not knowing everything about the app; I wouldn't want to presume that it *could* provide me the security I would like and as I mentioned; I'm OK with neediing a physical connection.

I want to say that personally, I do not trust many of my public facing appliances and as such keep them on a separate network isolated from my home office.  The purpose of the Nighthawk is to provide me a secure wifi connection, and physical connections when needed.  Keeping my appliances on a seperate wifi netowk also allows me to reset that network without other issues.  

I am only slightly torn by the lack of ability to maintain the router remotely.  And, I have thought a lot about whether I'd even want a mobile app to have that kind of access and do not consider it to be a feature I would ultimately want.  Therefore, I will not be suggesting adding any new features to the remote access mobile app. 😉

Thank you for you time in responding.  I apprecaite you getting back to me so quickly.  So, Happy New Year to you both @microchip8 & @antinode !

@Cyberchipz 

Message 4 of 7
microchip8
Master

The default address is 192.168.1.1 and not 192.168.0.1

Message 5 of 7
Cyberchipz
Aspirant

@microchip8 I appreciate the warning about the firmware updates.  One such update sneaked in when I thought it was asking me to update the app.  Fortunately for me; I didn't have an issue; but, once I realized what happened; I had resolved not to let that happen again; and your warning is right in line with my general policy regarding firmware updating.  Indeed, even direct connections are risky enough; though I have only had an issue doing it once; it was enough! lol  Cat Wink

Message 6 of 7
Cyberchipz
Aspirant

So sorry... I guess it just depends on what one uses... me personally it's not either one of those... Cat Embarassed  But, well said to not confuse anyone coming into the question from the outside/in. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7