Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I disable automatic IP address updating (when conflict is detected with ISP)?

joelsantiago
Tutor

How do I disable automatic IP address updating (when conflict is detected with ISP)?

I use a non-routing range on my LAN and use static IP addresses for certain hosts. The automatic change accompanied by:

Important Update

To avoid conflict with your Internet Service Provider, your router's IP address has been update to (another non-routing range).

... usually happens when my modem is reset or my ISP changes my IP address -- but is always completely unnecessary and completely messes things up for me.

For the record:

• Yes, I've seen similar posts on this before but they are for more complex set ups (with multiple DHCP servers, routers, etc.) -- mine's dead simple, but have the same problem.
  • I've tried re-applying the latest non-beta firrmware release (currently V1.0.5.70_1.1.91) -- issue remains.
  • I've tried going with the flow -- reassigning all my static hosts to whatever the router updates to when it detects a conflict -- but it just updates again when it the modem is reset or the ISP changes my IP address. 

How do I disable this feature? I imagine it's helpful for someone out there but it is nothing but disruptive for me. Surely there's a way to turn this off?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 

-j

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: How do I disable automatic IP address updating (when conflict is detected with ISP)?

You may not like the automatic changing of IP addresses, but the behavior is a sign that your LAN and WAN subnets conflict with each other.  I don't know how your other router was able to work correctly with such a conflict, but you should fix it.  For example, if your ISP is using subnet 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0, then set your LAN to use 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0.  Problem solved.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Re: How do I disable automatic IP address updating (when conflict is detected with ISP)?

@joelsantiago wrote:

I use a non-routing range on my LAN and use static IP addresses for certain hosts. The automatic change accompanied by:

Important Update

To avoid conflict with your Internet Service Provider, your router's IP address has been update to (another non-routing range).

... usually happens when my modem is reset or my ISP changes my IP address -- but is always completely unnecessary and completely messes things up for me.

Not sure I understand?

Can you explain your network configuration?

Modem --> Router ---+---> wired devices

!

+--- > wireless device

??????

If you set the Internet IP Address to Static, yes, if the ISP changes your IP WAN Address you can have problems.

Is you IP Service Static or not? If not then use the Automatic Setting.

"I use a non-routing range on my LAN and use static IP addresses for certain hosts. The automatic change accompanied by:" is the part I also don't understand? Quite normal to assign specific IP Addresses to specific devices on the LAN. However you should then make sure they are outside of the range that DHCP will assign IP Addresses, otherwise you'd have IP Address conflicts. On the ADVANCED -> LAN SETUP tab set the USE ROUTER AS DHCP SERVER starting or ending address to leave room for the assigned IP Address to avoid the conflict.

Message 2 of 9
joelsantiago
Tutor

I get my Internet IP address dynamically from my ISP -- and that's how I've got it set on the router. Also using the router as the DHCP server and I'm not assigning anything in the DHCP pool to any of the static hosts. All that stuff works as intended. 

The issue is when my modem gets reset (power cut, whatever) or I'm assigned a new WAN IP address by my ISP, the router detects a conflict and takes it upon itself to change its (the router's) IP address to one on a completely different range (from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.0.1 for example). This tends to make a mess of things, is incredibly inconvenient and ultimately unnecessary.

I would just like to know how to turn this feature off.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 9
IrvSp
Master

I think the problem is your MODEM, not the router. Is the modem bridged? If it isn't, it is sending your router a PRIVATE IP Address, and at some point, it is the same as your router, hence the problem as the router detects the conflict and changes its IP Address.

It is possible the modem only will use one port as the one that is outputting the WAP IP address and other ports LAN IP Addresses?

Contact your ISP to verify, but most modems can be accessed with 192.168.100.1 with a userID and P/W that is usually printed on the label somewhere or use a default from the ISP.

My modem is bridged and always passes an IP Address that is NOT private. My WAN IP Address will change sporadically as I don't have a FIXED IP ADDRESS from my ISP but a random one. Usually only business accounts get fixed IP Addresses, but some ISP's could be different (Cable that is).

Message 4 of 9
joelsantiago
Tutor

The modem never passes a private IP address. I've verified this with the ISP.

I've used several different routers with this network, this exact configuration and this same ISP (and modem) and have not had this issue before.

Message 5 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@joelsantiago wrote:

The modem never passes a private IP address. I've verified this with the ISP.

I've used several different routers with this network, this exact configuration and this same ISP (and modem) and have not had this issue before.

Well, it seems it might be? That is why you are getting the warning message. Some Modems do issue TEMPORARY IP's in the private range when they first come up and had not connected to the ISP fully. This would explain what you are seeing possibly? That is they sort of act like a switch when first powering up and then switch to 'router' mode sending out the WAP IP Address.

Here is a report of a similar problem fixed with an upgrade to the firmware, https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/27920736/Netgear-router-keeps-changing-LAN-ip-address.htm...

Might want to google your modem model and see if it does issue temp IP's?

I'm out of ideas here.

Message 6 of 9
joelsantiago
Tutor

Might be. But here's the thing, like I said, I've tried this configuration with a number of different routers -- 3 or 4 Linksys routers, 2 or 3 Asus routers, at least 1 other Netgear router -- and this does not happen. The only thing that's changed since this started is the router. I've even tried switching back to one of my previous routers for a few weeks, manually triggered WAN IP changes (such that I can) and this just does not happen. Makes it hard to conclude that it's the modem, right?

Here's another thing, when the router changes the range, say from 10.x.x.x to 192.x.x.x automatically I can immediately change it back to my preferred range (10.x.x.x) and everything works fine. The change it applies is completely unnecessary. 

All I want to be able to do is change the router's behavior and not have it automatically change its own IP address (unless I paperclip reset it). 

I'm using the latest non-beta firmware available for this model and have tried re-applying it several times.

Appreciate you trying to help, man. Thanks.

Message 7 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear made this change almost 2 years ago. You could try a older FW version.  

Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

You may not like the automatic changing of IP addresses, but the behavior is a sign that your LAN and WAN subnets conflict with each other.  I don't know how your other router was able to work correctly with such a conflict, but you should fix it.  For example, if your ISP is using subnet 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0, then set your LAN to use 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0.  Problem solved.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7