Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I extend a Orbi Satellite wifi signal into a metal outbuilding?

Kellley
Aspirant

How do I extend a Orbi Satellite wifi signal into a metal outbuilding?

During the summer if I leave the building doors open I get a wifi signal inside the building from my Orbi satellite located in my garage.  However during the winter with the doors shut a wifi signal will not pass through the buildings metal walls.  I had drilled a hole through the wall of a metal building within range of my ORBI satellite signal.  I installed a Netgear EX3700 extender inside the building with the receiving antenna poked through the hole I drilled, antenna sticking out of the building. This worked well to get my wifi signal inside the building.  Then 6 days ago the EX3700 will no longer receive the signal from the ORBI satellite ORB167.  The NightHawk app that I previous used to set up the EX3700 and my EX6100 will no longer connect these extenders to the Orbi system stating not compatible with the router.  The ORBI app will not recognize the EX3700 OR EX6100 range extenders.  After losing the wifi signal into the metal building and failing to again setup the either of my range extenders to the ORBI system I called Netgear new product tech support explaining what I need to do during a 57:43 minute phone call to Netgear new product support.  I was told by the tech that the new EX7000 or EX8000 range extenders were compatible with an ORBI satellite signal. End of call.  From the photos I've seen the EX7000 has 3 short antennas attached and the EX8000 has no externa antenna.  I'm disappointed the tech did not provide a solution or a product I could buy that would work in my situation.

I watched Youtube videos how to install an external antenna on a wifi router.  Seems simple enough to do, however, I have no idea what external antenna with work with a Netgear EX7000 or EX8000 range extender frequency.

[1]  I'm not even sure if the Netgear tech is correct that the EX7000 or EX8000 extenders will work with a Orbi satellite, will this be a waste of money buying one of these extenders with the intent to extend a wifi signal from an Orbi satellite?

[2]  Why suddenly will my EX3700 or EX6100 not work with an ORBI signal

[3]  OR why will the NightHawk app no longer recognize an Orbi router system?

[4]  What to buy as far as an 'bulkhead' antenna mount for the extender case, a cable to run between the installed mount on the range extender case to the purchased external antenna poking through the hole in the wall.

Does anyone have experience with the EX7000 or EX8000 connected to a Orbi system signal?

Does anyone have experience mounting an external antenna to either of these extenders?

Best Regards,

Ward

Message 1 of 2

Re: How do I extend a Orbi Satellite wifi signal into a metal outbuilding?

@Kellley wrote:

[1]  I'm not even sure if the Netgear tech is correct that the EX7000 or EX8000 extenders will work with a Orbi satellite, will this be a waste of money buying one of these extenders with the intent to extend a wifi signal from an Orbi satellite?

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. If anyone knows about this, they probably hang out in the Orbi section or the Extender zone.

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities
The obvious answer to your challenge is the Orbi Outdoor satellite, RBS50Y. That will work with non-Orbi stuff.

Orbi RBS50Y - Mesh WiFi Range Extender | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7