How do I limit streaming bandwith with R7000 router?

atomarchio
Tutor

How do I limit streaming bandwith with R7000 router?

Does the R7000 have a way to limit amount of bandwith used when using video streaming service? (i.e. netflix or hulu)

I find when another member of household streams video that the internet becomes significantly slower when I am trying to do other work.

Please help.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Re: How do I limit streaming bandwith with R7000 router?

It's not really possible to put a bandwidth on a specific service with stock firmware.  All you can possibly do is enable QoS and assign the streaming service a lower relative priority.  This won't prevent it from consuming all of the bandwidth but hopefully QoS will give your other applications first dibs at bandwidth and leave the remainder to the video stream.

If you are game, there are a variety of third-party firmware options (DD-WRT, Tomato, Asuswrt-Merlin, etc.).  One or more of them may have finer-grained QoS capabilities that may meet your needs.

Message 2 of 6
atomarchio
Tutor

I am not a gamer but internet becomes very slow when someone else in house in streaming.

Is there another router I could purchase (similar to R7000) that would have this capability?

If so, please send the part number.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

I do not believe any of Netgear's routers can do this.  You will either have to install third-party firmware or go with another brand.

Message 4 of 6
atomarchio
Tutor

What kind of firmware can I use? Can you provide an example
Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

I'm partial to a port of Asuswrt-Merlin to the R7000 (here).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E