Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I reset my R7000 back to the state in which I pulled it out of the box?

NetGearHead5
Guide

How do I reset my R7000 back to the state in which I pulled it out of the box?

How do I reset my R7000 back to the state in which I pulled it out of the box? Why am I asking? The most recent release of firmware has destroyed my router's connectivity and performance. I'm having to deal with devices that can't connect, devices that drop off, extremely poor performance, etc. It's just a disaster.

I've been with Netgear 5-6 years and had to do something last night I've never had to do before - I had to revert back to a previous release of the firmware. Honestly, very little was working well. The previous release of software had a few hiccups here and there but the newest release is just a nightmare.

Now that I applied a previous release of the firmware though, I still see some of the newer options that weren't there before. I took notice that the firmware was now the prior release but the GUI is still the current release.

Just to give some perspective, on my Nexus 5 running 802.11ac, prior to the current release, I could peg 90Mbps+. Since the new release, the best I can do standing right next to the router is 24Mpbs+. Even after rolling back to the previous firmware, the speed is still the same.

So, I want to get the router back to the shape as when I pulled it out of the box, apply the previous firmware, and reset up if necessary. I just want my router back prior the most recent release that destroyed it. Again, that release had some hiccups but it was still usable.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
External
Star

Re: How do I reset my R7000 back to the state in which I pulled it out of the box?

The 30-30-30 reset method works on the most routers out there but not on the R7000...
The correct way to reset your R7000 to the Out of the Box State is...

Download the initial Release from Netgear R7000 Support HP http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000(Firmware Version 1.0.0.96)

Reset and flash back from any Stockfirmware to initial Stockfirmware:

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
Hold down Reset for 5 to max 8 seconds ! **
connect to 192.168.1.1
flash the initial FW
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds

** After every reset, the first login screen on StockFW should show something like "refreshing settings or loading settings"

Now its like Out of the Box.

Reset and flash back from any DD-WRT FW to initial Stockfirmware:

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
telnet into the Router
run the commands:
"erase nvram"
"reboot"
wait several seconds
connect to 192.168.1.1
flash the initial Stockfirmware via the Administration Tab (if the upgrade fails with site not available, try another browser like Firefox, chrome, safari)
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds

** After every reset, the first login screen on StockFW should show something like "refreshing settings or loading settings"

I reflashed several R7000 back to initial Stockfirmware because the latest FW with Beamforming was not stable enough after several Days/Weeks testing...The FW showed some massive connection drops after 24hours and only a Router reboot fixed it (tested on 3x R7000)

The connection dropped down from 1300 to 66-256 after several Hours.... -.-

Now i am waiting for a new FW release with Wifi fixes from Netgear.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
WizardJ
Luminary

To do a factory reset of the router, clearing out all of the settings that have been made, simply take a paperclip to push and hold the small hole to the left on the back of the router that's marked "Reset", until the Power LED on the front starts blinking. Then let go and wait for the Power LED to become stable/solid again. Now you can reinstall the router.

To revert back to the oldest firmware of the router, you would need to actually go in to the routers administration page and upload the old firmware. You can find the old firmware on this page. "Firmware Version 1.0.0.96 (North America Only)" is the oldest version, which you find in the yellow box named "Firmware/Software" on the right side of the page. Make sure to click "Release Notes" under the name to get thorough instructions on how to do this.

Now, that being said, what are the problems you have been experiencing with the router? Have you spoken to Netgear support about this?
Message 2 of 12
Lexist2112
Luminary

Like to add you should do a 30-30-30 reset to clear NVRAM before the downgrade and after you have installed the initial release FW 1.0.0.96

Interesting !!!! Apperantly Netgear has taken down the latest FW, it can't be found here any more!!!:eek:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/
Message 3 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It is possible that firmware may taken because of the issues in the firmware
Message 4 of 12
Dogbert
NETGEAR Employee

Regardingthe latest firmware, I posted over in another R7000 thread:

"Due to issues some users have been having with the latest firmware 1.0.2.120.1.0.17, Netgear has temporarily removed this firmware for downloading while they investigate the problems. A new firmware will be released soon to address these issues, but for now we ask that anyone who has already upgraded to the 1.0.2.120.1.0.17 firmware download the previous firmware 1.0.1.22 from the Support Download center and manually reflash your R7000 to the previous firmware...."
Message 5 of 12
External
Star

The 30-30-30 reset method works on the most routers out there but not on the R7000...
The correct way to reset your R7000 to the Out of the Box State is...

Download the initial Release from Netgear R7000 Support HP http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000(Firmware Version 1.0.0.96)

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
connect to 192.168.1.1
flash the initial FW
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds

Reset and flash back from any DD-WRT FW to initial Stockfirmware:

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
telnet into the Router
run the commands:
"erase nvram"
"reboot"
wait several seconds
connect to 192.168.1.1
flash the initial Stockfirmware via the Administration Tab (if the upgrade fails with site not available, try another browser like Firefox, chrome, safari)
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds

I reflashed several R7000 back to initial Stockfirmware because the latest FW with Beamforming was not stable enough after several Days/Weeks testing...The FW showed some massive connection drops after 24hours and only a Router reboot fixed it (tested on 3x R7000)

The connection dropped down from 1300 to 66-256 after several Hours.... -.-

Now i am waiting for a new FW release with Wifi fixes from Netgear.
Message 6 of 12
andromeda
Guide

Hi all,

External - You said:

Reset and flash back from any Stockfirmware to initial Stockfirmware, this is ok

Reset and flash back from any DD-WRT FW to initial Stockfirmware, this isok

but, how to reset and flash back from initial Stockfirmware to DD-WRT ?

because i have R7000 with firmware 1.0.3.24 and i want reset and flash to DD-WRT on my R7000.

Do i like as step Reset and flash back from any DD-WRT FW to initial Stockfirmware ?

I suppose i do reset nvram.

Thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Lexist2112 wrote:

Interesting !!!! Apperantly Netgear has taken down the latest FW, it can't be found here any more!!!:eek:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/

I still see it there (1.0.3.24).
Message 8 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

andromeda wrote:

because i have R7000 with firmware 1.0.3.24 and i want reset and flash to DD-WRT on my R7000.

Go here:

desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

and read the Readme file. It tells you how to flash to dd-wrt from stock firmware and back again. I've found the 23900M "STD NEWD" a good dd-wrt to start with at this point. It's doing very well for me.

You will do more than one flash going from Netgear stock firmware to dd-wrt, it's in the Readme mentioned above.

Also, yes, it is always best practice to do a reset to factory defaults after any firmware flash, and then manually re-enter your settings.

The only exception to this is if you've already been using a particular firmware version and it was working well...if you have a saved settings file for that state, and you flash back to that same firmware version, then you can use your saved settings file (after a factory default reset *smile*) instead of manually re-entering your configuration.
Message 9 of 12
wellhung
Aspirant

External wrote:

Power on the Router
wait several seconds
connect to 192.168.1.1
flash the initial FW
now the Router reboots
wait several seconds

Sorry to bump this but my connection has high pings on WiFi on both bands after updating firmware. I did factory reset and still problems. Interestingly enough I noticed that my QoS settings were left alone after reset, makes me wonder what else it's not being reset-ed.

So I want to try this method (quote).

Question for anyone about above quote:

Power on the Router
wait several seconds

Do I wait for the R7000 to boot completely after power on or do I actually wait several second while it's still booting and press the reset button?

Thanks!
Message 10 of 12
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Hung, I'd advise you to wait until your router is fully booted before resetting it. You're more likely to get your desired result that way.
Message 11 of 12
wellhung
Aspirant

RogerSC wrote:
Hung, I'd advise you to wait until your router is fully booted before resetting it. You're more likely to get your desired result that way.

That would be the same as normal factory defaults right, in any case it doesn't help.

Is there something to resetting short after factory defaults?

I would like more info like accurate timing, when to do it (which LEDs pattern to look for), and how dangerous this is.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7