Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I setup the AC1900-Nighthawk WiFi Router to be used as access point only?

w8llx
Aspirant

How do I setup the AC1900-Nighthawk WiFi Router to be used as access point only?

I have a R6900 Router that needs to play nice with my ATT Uverse router and let the ATT router handle all network stuff especially IP assignments. My initial setup failed and the R6900 appears to be running its own show. Since the R6900 has a superior WiFi broadcast, my devices prefer it, however, the ATT router just ignores the R6900 since it has established a completely strange set of IP addresses. So I turned off the R6900 and put my family of happy Apple users back on the ATT WiFi access point. Any helpful tips with the R6900 would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: How do I setup the AC1900-Nighthawk WiFi Router to be used as access point only?

There's a feature on the AT&T router called IP Passthrough or DMZPlus, depending on the model.  Enable it and point it at the MAC address of your R6900.  This will put the AT&T router into a sort of bridge mode.  This will enable you to use your R6900 as a router.

OTOH, if you really want to use your R6900 as an Access Point, then it's enabled in ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP as you would have seen in the manual.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: How do I setup the AC1900-Nighthawk WiFi Router to be used as access point only?

There's a feature on the AT&T router called IP Passthrough or DMZPlus, depending on the model.  Enable it and point it at the MAC address of your R6900.  This will put the AT&T router into a sort of bridge mode.  This will enable you to use your R6900 as a router.

OTOH, if you really want to use your R6900 as an Access Point, then it's enabled in ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP as you would have seen in the manual.

Message 2 of 4
w8llx
Aspirant

Thank you. I know its an overkill to use only as an access point. I ended up disabling DHCP in the R6900 ADVANCED settings. That seemed to work. Thank you for your support.

Message 3 of 4

TheEther wrote:...
as you would have seen in the manual.

Which, for future reference and later visitors, is here:

R6900 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7