Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I stay logged in?

DKern
Tutor

How do I stay logged in?

Every time I open the browser on my desktop I have to log in to the router.  Is there a setting to keep it logged in?

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
DKern
Tutor

IrvSp....  I cleared the cache and restarted the computer.  That worked!!  Thank you so much!

And thank you to everyone else for hanging in there with me and trying to help!  I really appreciate it!

For some that were wondering:  I wasn't directed to go to the Netgear Account sign in page.  I found that to be the only page I could get to.  And then I could go anywhere from there after signing in again.

Thanks again everyone! 

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 21

All Replies
SScandy
Luminary

I don't know the answer, but I wanted to say that I have had the same problem ever since joining this forum. Checking the 'keep me logged in' box does not work. I have to log in every time.

Message 2 of 21
IrvSp
Master

Two different issues...

@DKernwanted to know about how to keep his browser logged into the router, and as far as I know, can't be done. Can have a PASSWORD MANAGER auto-fill the prompts, but other than that, not that I know of? Possible some password manager will do auto-logon I guess, but not the ones I know of.

@SScandy, you issue it the Forum s/w Netgear is running. A few months ago this DID work. A change was made and that no longer works. I've complained to NG Moderators and NOTHING has changed... still doesn't work.

Message 3 of 21
DKern
Tutor

Thank you for your responses. That’s really stupid that we have to go their page and log in every time!  Yes, it’s autofilled but still have to go there.  😡

Message 4 of 21
antinode
Guru

> Every time I open the browser on my desktop I have to log in to the
> router. [...]

I'll bite.  Why do you believe that you need to log into your
router's management web site every time you "open the browser on [your]
desktop"?  Are you _always_ trying to manage your router, or are you
just trying to browse the Web, or what?

What is your "my desktop"?  Which "the browser"?

> [...] That's really stupid that we have to go their page and log in
> every time! [...]

The idea of a time-out in such circumstances is to avoid making it
easy for a malefactor to fiddle with you router settings if you leave
your "my desktop" unattended for a while.  "really stupid" would be

_not_ having such a time-out.

> [...] Yes, it's autofilled but still have to go there.

_Why_, exactly, do you need to go there?  I can go for weeks without
looking at the management interface on my router.

Message 5 of 21

@DKern wrote:

Every time I open the browser on my desktop I have to log in to the router.  Is there a setting to keep it logged in?

What is this Netgear device?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

What is the browser?

What actually come up when you try to go somewhere on the Internet?

How is it connected to the Internet? Wifi? Wired?

I suspect a misconfiguration issue.

Message 6 of 21

@SScandy wrote:

I don't know the answer, but I wanted to say that I have had the same problem ever since joining this forum. Checking the 'keep me logged in' box does not work. I have to log in every time.

That sounds like a completely different issue.

Logging into this forum is not the same as trying to get at other websites, which seems to be the original issue.

Message 7 of 21
IrvSp
Master

@DKern, to me I think you now are talking about the FORUM, NETGEARS WEB SITE? At first it appeared you were talking about the router?

If so, it didn't work like this months ago. NG changed the web site software and that function (KEEP ME LOGGED IN) stopped working. Complaints have been sent to the moderators and nothing has changed.

Message 8 of 21
SScandy
Luminary

You guys are right. I read the initial post too fast. The issue of staying logged in to the forum is different from what the initial poster asked. Sorry!

The reason people log in to their router is to change the settings. Once you have set the router up, there is no longer a need to log in to the router (unless you want to change something).

If Netgear left your router log in active, that would mean thay anyone could go into your router settings and change them without your knowledge. Netgear is correct in not allowing your router log in to stay active.

Message 9 of 21
DKern
Tutor

No apology necessary SScandy.

When I open my browser my homepage will come up but the only website I can go to is the Netgear page. Then after I sign in there, I can go to other websites.  Very frustrating!

seems like there should be a way around that!

Message 10 of 21
DKern
Tutor

I have to sign in to my Netgear account.

Message 11 of 21
DKern
Tutor

I apologize for not making this clear.

i have to sign in to my Netgear account when I open my browser ( Internet Explorer) on my desktop to surf the web. My homepage will come up but the only webpage I can go to is the Netgear account sign in page.  I sign in then I can surf anywhere. 

Message 12 of 21
DKern
Tutor

I have a Nighthawk R6700v3 

Message 13 of 21

@DKern wrote:

When I open my browser my homepage will come up but the only website I can go to is the Netgear page.

What is "the Netgear page"?

Does it have an address? What does it look like? Can you manage a screen grab? (Try Alt + PrintScreen.)

The only reason I can think of, never a reliable source, for this to happen is some sort of setup issue with the router (Did I miss your answer about the Netgear hardware that you are using?) or with your operating system, Windows (which version?).

There are plenty of unanswered questions. (See above.) You can do us, and yourself, a favour, by providing some answers. Answers depend on the information to hand.

This message has a few that you might like to answer:

Re: How do I stay logged in? - NETGEAR Communities

Other people have asked different questions that can also clue us in.

Message 14 of 21
IrvSp
Master

@DKern wrote:

I apologize for not making this clear.

i have to sign in to my Netgear account when I open my browser ( Internet Explorer) on my desktop to surf the web. My homepage will come up but the only webpage I can go to is the Netgear account sign in page.  I sign in then I can surf anywhere. 

What? This makes little sense to me? An initial page screenshot would sure help here?

I've seen something like this when you are using a HOTSPOT to get internet access... like coffee shops, airport, hospitals, etc. It is the organizations terms of use you are agreeing to when you enter your credentials (not all required a USERID and PASSWORD credentials) or just OK the screen.

Netgears MOBILE app NIGHTHAWK does require your NETGEAR credentials as well I recall, but it has nothing to do with using the Internet?

Please explain more in detail, what is the URL you first come to? On IE, what version and what version of Windows? In IE's settings on the General page, what is the HOME PAGE?

Are you the 'owner' of the router or is it a 'community' one?

Message 15 of 21
DKern
Tutor

Im the owner of the router.  I'm at home.  It's wired to the computer.  Hooked to a Cisco DPC3008 modem from Charter/Spectrum.

Message 16 of 21
DKern
Tutor

My homepage is my.yahoo.com

Windows 10 Home  Version 1803

Microsoft Edge

Netgear Nighthawk R6700v3

My homepage will load.  Then I have to go to a Netgear Account page to sign in.  It's actually the page that I had to register my router on.  It says 'Log in to your account'.  I log in, then I can go wherever I want (surf the web).

The page I have to go to is netgear.com/success/r6700v3aspx?sn=58Y58B76A39E3

Message 17 of 21

Can you explain this bit:

@DKern wrote:

My homepage will load.  Then I have to go to a Netgear Account page to sign in.  It's actually the page that I had to register my router on. 

Why do you have to go to a Netgear Account page if your homepage has loaded?

Do you get directed to the Netgear page?

It sounds more like something strange going on in your browser than anything Netgear is forcing on you.

Have you tried using a different browser?

What is the address of the page that throws up this message?

@DKern wrote:

It says 'Log in to your account'. 

What says login to your account?

Message 18 of 21
IrvSp
Master

@DKern wrote:

Windows 10 Home  Version 1803

Microsoft Edge

Netgear Nighthawk R6700v3

My homepage will load.  Then I have to go to a Netgear Account page to sign in.  It's actually the page that I had to register my router on.  It says 'Log in to your account'.  I log in, then I can go wherever I want (surf the web).

The page I have to go to is netgear.com/success/r6700v3aspx?sn=58Y58B76A39E3

Very odd?

Let me see if I get this right? These are the steps:

1. Your computer is on as is your router and your PC is connected to the router.
  2. You open Edge.
  3. Your home page on Edge, my.yahoo.com, loads.
  4. You HAVE to go to a Netgear page and login.
  5. Only then can you use the Internet to browse sites.

Simple set of questions now:

• On step #3 above, what is IN the URL of Edge?
  • If on step #3 you enter in the URL of Edge www.cnn.com, what happens (clearing whatever might be in the URL)?
  • On Edge, did you ever clear the Browsing Data (see screenshot on left, select the 3 dots on right, then Settings, then 'gear' and clear all data) and try again.

Funny, "netgear.com/success/r6700v3aspx?sn=58Y58B76A39E3" doesn't work for me, says page not found? Suspect it is cached on your PC, hence the last question.

You still have Internet Explorer installed in W10. Using the WINDOWS KEY+R, enter 'iexplore' into the command prompt and that will bring up IE. Does the Internet work and can you browse with that without having to go to Netgear and login?

Message 19 of 21
DKern
Tutor

IrvSp....  I cleared the cache and restarted the computer.  That worked!!  Thank you so much!

And thank you to everyone else for hanging in there with me and trying to help!  I really appreciate it!

For some that were wondering:  I wasn't directed to go to the Netgear Account sign in page.  I found that to be the only page I could get to.  And then I could go anywhere from there after signing in again.

Thanks again everyone! 

Message 20 of 21

Excellent news. SOLVED.

Trying a different browser, another idea from @IrvSp, should have had the same effect.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7