Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I turn ON the top panel status lights?

AutoMatters
Aspirant

How do I turn ON the top panel status lights?

I have the following Netgear router:

Netgear Nighthawk X4S
AC2600 Smart WiFi Router Model R7800

Today I was trying to troubleshoot why I suddenly lost internet access in my home.  It would not work via WiFi or Ethernet cable.

When I called my cable company (Spectrum) they said there was no loss of service in my neighborhood. They were able to communicate with my modem. They then had me connect the modem directly to a computer, via Ethernet. After I rebooted the computer I was able to get internet service again.

At that point, Spectrum advised me to call Netgear for help.

Instead, I did additional troubleshooting that included powering off the modem several times, powering off the Netgear router several times and unplugging two of the multi-port switches that the router is connected to (via daisy chain from the first switch, through Ethernet hard wiring in the house). I have additional switches in other rooms of my house, inclduing where my main computer is located).

Eventually I was able to restore my Internet access. However, only the white power LED was and remains lit on my Netgear router. The User Guide explains (by logging into the Netgear router and choosing ADVANCED SETTINGS --> LED Control Settings) how to turn OFF the rest of the LEDs but says nothing about how to turn them back on. Right now, of the three settings choices, I have selected this one: Enable blinking on Internet LED, LAN LED, Wireless LED and USB LED when data traffic is detected.

I have NOT selected the Disable blinking line (setting choice two) or this one (setting choice three):

Turn off all LEDs except Power LED

In case it might work, I tried changing settings to this last one, and then back again to the first one, but that made no difference.

Please help.

Thank you.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I turn ON the top panel status lights?

@AutoMatters wrote:

The User Guide explains (by logging into the Netgear router and choosing ADVANCED SETTINGS --> LED Control Settings) how to turn OFF the rest of the LEDs but says nothing about how to turn them back on.

Look for the switch on the back.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your R7800 hardware.

Find Rear Panel.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

@AutoMatters wrote:

The User Guide explains (by logging into the Netgear router and choosing ADVANCED SETTINGS --> LED Control Settings) how to turn OFF the rest of the LEDs but says nothing about how to turn them back on.

Look for the switch on the back.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your R7800 hardware.

Find Rear Panel.

Message 2 of 5
AutoMatters
Aspirant

michaelkenward — thank you! When I turned around my NETGEAR router before (with a bunch of cables attached to its back panel), all I could see was its on/off power switch. After I read your advice, I looked all the way to the left and saw the LED on/off switch. Flipping that switch worked. Now I can see all the lights and what the router is doing. Thank you!
I depend on that router to send my syndicated "AutoMatters & More" column to publications every week. Without internet, I would be dead in the water.
Jan
Message 3 of 5

Glad it worked. Easily missed.

It doesn't help that Netgear's routers don't have standard ways of handling those LEDs. My R7000P is very different.

I am no car nut. My wife owns an Alfa.

One of my scarier car journeys was when the CEO of Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) insisted on driving me all of a few hundreds yards from his office to the production line in his superfast Jag.

I still regret turning down the offer get behind the steering wheel of an electric iPace last year. Too much of a coward. But the thing certainly accelerates

Message 4 of 5
AutoMatters
Aspirant

What model and year of Alfa does your wife have? They are fun to drive.

I, too, have turned down opportunities to drive some cool cars. If only the situations had been better or we had the benefit of hindsight. Fortunately I have also had the opportunity to drive many cool cars, too. The one that especially comes to mind was when I first started writing my column about 20 years ago. It was a prototype Ford, similar to a Group B (the "Killer B's") rally car. I got to drive it on the Mulholland Highway in Los Angeles. That car was so much fun to drive. It had massive but completely controllable throttle-on oversteer. Of course Ford would never ever sell such a wild car to the general public.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7