Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I use the Netgear Genie app -Step by Step

mickey7
Aspirant

How do I use the Netgear Genie app -Step by Step

So Folks, HOW do I use the Genie app? No Clue. I have a Chromebook , so I can use the genie on it. Not compatible. I want to know how to change channel, if needed. etc. Please Help someone. I am a Newbie/Novice. Thanks.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions

The latest firmware for this router comes with "Added support for SHA256 certificates in lieu of MD5 for OpenVPN":

R6700 Firmware Version 1.0.1.48 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

for the V2 variant:

R6700v2 Firmware Version 1.2.0.24 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

"Supports SHA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN".

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies

Greetings,

Netgear Support portal

Put in your model number and download the user guide for your router.  You do not need Genie for windows or a mobile app.  You can fully install and manage your router using nothing more than an internet browser.

Message 2 of 16
mickey7
Aspirant

I have a Chromebook. Chromebook is NOT Compatible with the netgear router login. So...I have downloaded the android app to my Samsung tablet. I repeat, How do I use this APP?? Thanks.
Message 3 of 16

@mickey7 wrote:
How do I use this APP??

Hard to know without any clue as to what you want to achieve.

• Turn on tablet.
  • Install app
  • Run app
  • Connect to wifi from R6700 (see label for SSID and password)
  • Login to manage
  • Do whatever it is that you want to do.

There is a manual for the genie Mobile App somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> genie Landing Page <<<<

Message 4 of 16
mickey7
Aspirant

Thank you for the link to the menu to the app. This looks like this will give me the answers I am looking for. On Windows I was able to figure the info out, kind of. Chromebook is Not compatible with the regular login page. The last time I used this app( about 6-8 months ago) I just about Completely F#@cked up my router and wifi settings. I did NOT want to do that again. Thanks again. Harold.

Message 5 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Dear Harold,

A Chromebook does run the very same Chrome browser as it's on e.g. Windows. Unclear ot me why you repeat mantra-like that the Chromebook should not be compatible with the "regular" (I'm reading the Web based Genie) login. As the Chrome browser has a very high market share, any related problems would show up here in the Netgear Community. 

What problems do you have on working the R6700 Web Genie from a Chromebook resp Chrome Browser?

Chromebook model, ChromeOS Version?

R6700, R6700v2, or R6700v3?
R7600[-|v1|v2] Firmware version? 

Many modern Chromebooks are supporting the installation and operation of Android Apps in the Stable Channel -> Chrome OS Systems Supporting Android Apps This would allow the installation and running Netgear Genie App (and in case it's a R6700v2 or R6700v3 also the Nighthawk App) right away on select Chromebooks, too.

Should this problem remain, and permitting some useful information can be provided, I'm happy to push this onto some Netgear desks.

Regards,

-Kurt

PS. Working for years on the road with an elderly Acer CB3-111 (no Android support yet), currently on Chrome OS v70 beta (64-bit).

Message 6 of 16
mickey7
Aspirant

OK, First off I have Version 2 of my R6700 Router. I was also very disappointed that this version is Not compatible for open source firmware, although I hear there is a possiblity of Tomato firmware. 

Secondly, I Apologize for my seemingly harsh tone earlier. I have just found out that I Can  reach my Netgear Genie page for my router. I simply wanted to check to see if I could find a different channel that might give me a faster signal. I Think I can sort out these things on my own. 

One last question, would you folks recommend my buying an extended warranty for any further problems I may have? Or.....will the Good folks here at this forum/ community be able to give me a hand with any subsequent issues? Thanks again so much . Harold.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 7 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@mickey7 wrote:

I simply wanted to check to see if I could find a different channel that might give me a faster signal.

Wireless is always a variable target. Start providing more details about the systems where you expect a faster signal. As queried above already. Then about the environment where you want more performance. 

@mickey7 wrote:

One last question, would you folks recommend my buying an extended warranty for any further problems I may have? Or.....will the Good folks here at this forum/ community be able to give me a hand with any subsequent issues? Thanks again so much . Harold.

What levels of warranty and support does NETGEAR ProSupport for Home offer?  Different plans are available. While it's good to have an extended hardware warranty, it depends on your expectations when it comes to support. 

Message 8 of 16

I'm with @schumaku, but I never pay for support. This place is good enough for most issues with Netgear hardware. It is more important to have a decent warranty.

Whatever you do, avoid falling into the trap that has caught some of these poor souls:

Tech Support a Scam - NETGEAR Communities

Do not rush to a web search and call the number that comes up.

Message 9 of 16
mickey7
Aspirant

@Schmuaku , I don't have a warranty anymore. I had the original 90 days and I did not extend this. It would cost like 139.00 for a year. Mmmmmm....I don't know. I am looking for basic support and.... In case I do something Stupid( I have this before)  🙂  , to be able to reach  someone at a moments notice to get my wifi/router up and running. 

On another note, ( this question might not be appropriate for the community) I am considering changing this router, I have own this one for only a year. I looking to get one that has, or can download  firmware for open source to use with my VPN. Thanks again. Harold.

Message 10 of 16

The latest firmware for this router comes with "Added support for SHA256 certificates in lieu of MD5 for OpenVPN":

R6700 Firmware Version 1.0.1.48 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

for the V2 variant:

R6700v2 Firmware Version 1.2.0.24 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

"Supports SHA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN".

Message 11 of 16
schumaku
Guru

I'm with @michaelkenward for the similar reasons - hardware yes, for firmware/software ... not in this device class.

"my VPN" whatever you want to do - again as @michaelkenward mentioned, Netgear has updated the VPN server so it is possible to establish a "calling-home" OpenVPN connection again.

While "Open Source" does sound good, it's even harder to get "just in time" support.

Message 12 of 16
mickey7
Aspirant

As you folks may already to be able to tell, I am Really Not very tech savy. I am mostly a plug it in , setup a couple of things and expect the item( in this case a router) to do whatever is expected it to do. From what I've been able to tell from different posts from this community, this open source update "seems" very complicated and not stable. I looks like if I want to get a router and use open source firmware, I better off getting a different router, like the AC 1900 Nighthawk. Your thoughts? Thanks again, so much. Harold.

Message 13 of 16

I'm still trying to understand what the challenge is here.

What started off as a question about the Netgear genie, which is not really your problem, has now morphed into something very different.

Have we narrowed it down to getting a VPN to work?

If so, what VPN is this and have you talked to the people who supply it?

@mickey7 wrote:

I am mostly a plug it in , setup a couple of things and expect the item( in this case a router) to do whatever is expected it to do.

That works in most cases, but it depends on the rest of the network. In particular, the modem in front of the router and what you want to do that is out of the ordinary.

Both get in the way of  the simple "plug and pray" approach.

Message 14 of 16
mickey7
Aspirant

Dear My Apologies Again, for going against the rules of this community. I thought as long as I was having a chat with some experienced people I could ask you nice folks whatever I needed to know.   I see now thatif I change topics than I need to change my base question. As I do more research for a new or different router I will come back and  start a New question. I appreciate all of your help with so many different things. My Thanks, Michael and everyone that has helped. 

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 16

You have every right to change horses in mid stream. But it helps if we all know what the current issue is.

By all means talk about VPNs here, rather then the Apps, but when you do start on a new quest it helps to provide any extra information that can shorten the journey.

Another approach is to start a new conversation, in the right place of course, about your latest concern. Give it a more meaningful title and you may draw in people who know more about the topic and who may not have seen this discussion which, to them, has a misleading subject. People who know about VPNs may be ignorant on Apps, and vice versa.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7