Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I use the Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800 without a modem? Does it provide better performance?

CastleAlcoa
Aspirant

How do I use the Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800 without a modem? Does it provide better performance?

Hello everyone,  I have recently purchased this router and keep reading online and hearing about how this router acts as both a router and modem. I'm guessing the initial setup of this router into your home network would require you to hook it up to the current modem that you have, but after setting it up, how do you make use of the feature of it being it's own modem? ALSO; Does getting rid of your modem and making the router do all the work provide better performance, since there's no third party modem in the way? I cannot find anything close to explaining this anywhere online. All I read about is features, features, features, but I would be SO grateful if someone would give us consumers the instruction to make use of them all! 

To sum up my problem: I need to know how you can set up this router to run as a modem+router in 1, and also need to know if it's better to run it like that, or to just keep my stock cisco modem that I got given to me by Charter when they installed internet at my house. 

Thank you to anyone for help!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
storm1985
Prodigy

Re: How do I use the Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800 without a modem? Does it provide better performance?

That is D7800 not R7800... D7800 is modem/router but R7800 is just a plain router. 

The product category of being AC2600 or AC3000 etc is the total wireless speed (2.4 +5Ghz band) your device is capable of but it doesnt mean there is just 1 model in that category.AC1750 example has 3 models (R6700, R6300 or R6400). 

To know more about your model you may check the User Manual or the Datasheet on what the specs and features.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 16

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

No you can't set R7800 as your modem. There's no coax port on this router. This is just a regular router!

R7800_BackPanel.jpg

Message 2 of 16
CastleAlcoa
Aspirant

Thank you for a prompt reply, however what are all these articles and youtube videos saying that; "The appeal of the Nighthawk X4S over the X4, for example, is that it features a DSL modem. It isn't only the router part." 

Message 3 of 16
CastleAlcoa
Aspirant

Also this:

"VDSL Modem Router with Nighthawk® X4S AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router (D7800) (www.netgear.com/D7800). With a dual-core 1.4GHz processor and built-in DSL modem, it’s the first DSL modem router on the market to support the latest Wave 2 WiFi technology with Quad-Stream on both bands as well as Multi-User MIMO-capability"

you can read a lot about it here: 

https://www.netgear.com/about/press-releases/2015/09-02-2015-D7800-NETGEAR-LAUNCHES-NIGHTHAWK-X4S.as...

Message 4 of 16
storm1985
Prodigy

That is D7800 not R7800... D7800 is modem/router but R7800 is just a plain router. 

The product category of being AC2600 or AC3000 etc is the total wireless speed (2.4 +5Ghz band) your device is capable of but it doesnt mean there is just 1 model in that category.AC1750 example has 3 models (R6700, R6300 or R6400). 

To know more about your model you may check the User Manual or the Datasheet on what the specs and features.

Message 5 of 16
storm1985
Prodigy

The model numbers will help you identify what your device is for.

D - for DSL modem gateways ex. D7000

C - for Cable modem gateways ex. C7000

R - for Routers ex. R7000

Message 6 of 16
CastleAlcoa
Aspirant

Thank you guys!!! I see now, I noticed it said D not R but I figured it was a typo bc the link in that story ended up in a 404 so I replaced the "D" with an "R" in the URL and t brought me straight to my router so haha
Message 7 of 16
CastleAlcoa
Aspirant

I know this is slightly off topic, but do you suggest a certain modem with this router? I know what to search for when shopping for routers, but I've never shopped for a modem before and if it would make any difference, I'd like to go ahead and update my modem as well.
Message 8 of 16
netwrks
Master

You should check with your ISP for a list of supported modems. Not all modem are sanctioned / supported by all ISP's..

Message 9 of 16

Most ISPs in the UK insist on "giving" customers a modem. We then have to figure out how to use the modem we want.

As others say, ask your ISP, but tell people who the ISP is and someone might have worked out how to get a better modem to work with them and your router.

Message 10 of 16
CastleAlcoa
Aspirant

I contacted my Internet Service Provider and was directed to this list: http://www.charter.net/support/internet/compliant-and-non-compliant-modemsgateways-charters-network/
Message 11 of 16

I don't know if the whole list is like this, but the top one from Netgear, the CG3000D, may well be a "retired" product.It certainly looks ancient. When something appears on eBay for <£30 you wonder.

Do you look to see if it is still available in the real world?

Now that you have that list, it should be possible to find something that is compatible.

The CM500 looks a bit more modern. You might like to check the area around here where people chat about that box. Then you can get a feel for the issues that they experience, if any.

Message 12 of 16
CastleAlcoa
Aspirant

The CM500 has some good reviews from what I'm finding, however my current modem that my ISP gave me is a Cisco DPC3216 and costs more than the Netgear, I know prices aren't everything, but with my experience you get what you pay for. But I'm not finding any reviews on that one (the DPC3216).
Message 13 of 16

Why not stick with the current modem?

What do you want to do that you cannot already?

Message 14 of 16
CastleAlcoa
Aspirant

Good question, I just updated my router and was wanting to update everything else as best as I could. I didn't want to buy one new thing and it be bogged down by something old in the mix. Sorta like a chain is only as good as its weakest length, I wanted to make sure all the links in my home network system were as good as they could possibly be.
Message 15 of 16

The modem is just feeding its stuff to the router. You don't need it to do much.

I'd just suck it and see.

Get something new if you hit obstacles.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7