Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do i connect multiple devices wirelessly to my Nighthawk X10?

PTEPolish
Tutor

How do i connect multiple devices wirelessly to my Nighthawk X10?

I've just bought the Nighthawk X10 router with the Netgear VDSL modem, i was able to replace my BT home hub with it and get it working, but i can only connect one device at a time wirelessly, not sure how to connect multiple devices all at the same time without having to log a device off to use the internet wirelessly on another device. I have not tried to connect multiple devices via the ethernet cable yet, as the piont of the router is that i can use it wirelessly.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
PTEPolish
Tutor

Re: How do i connect multiple devices wirelessly to my Nighthawk X10?

I've finally cracked it!!!

recommed instructions for use.

step 1. i had 2 shots of vodka.

step 2. Before luaching the DM200 into a brick wall and clubbing it with a metal object, i decided to take it upon myself to click on the, do it yourself option, which a warning came up saying that i would need networking experiencee. I thought to myself what could possibly go wrong, this is my first time!

step 3. By doing step 2, it brought me onto the admin page, i found the link to update the firmware, so i updated it, while it was updating, i was reading all the update information, and theres a heading that clearly states, something along the lines of making the installation process easier.

step 4. i changed the modem from modem + router mode to modem only mode. (press apply)

step 5. i manually inputted the ISP that BT gave me (bthomehub@btbroadband.com), no password, then changed the dail up setting to always on which is just under the login. (press apply)

step 6. i plugged my router into the modem, and the internet came on, so before i proceeded, i had another shot of vodka, tried google on my PC, wouldnt work, so i tried to connect my phone, IT WORKED!!! i could now finally connect multiple devices, go me. I then proceeded to use safari on my phone, IT WORKED!!! So i turned my laptop off and then on, and the internet came straight up and worked. 🙂

step 7. Well since ive already opened this bottle of vodka, i now may as well drink to this unbelievable success from what i can only describe myself as a noob to this. 🙂

Thank you for all your time to help me out, may you all have a great weekend.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies

@PTEPolish wrote:

....i can only connect one device at a time wirelessly

That's odd. What happens when you try it?

@PTEPolish wrote:

....with the Netgear VDSL modem

Which one? DM200? Is it in modem only mode?

Message 2 of 11
PTEPolish
Tutor

when i try to connect another device, it states;

401 Unauthorized

Access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication.

or it states;

There is another device already connected, if you wish to procceed, that device will be disconnected.

or words to that effect.

Yes i have the DM200, it states it is a modem, so i'm presuming it is in modem mode. To be honest, i didn't know you could use it for anything else.

Never done this before, always used whatever the internet provider has provided me, so i appreciate you replying to me.

Message 3 of 11

@PTEPolish wrote:

Yes i have the DM200, it states it is a modem, so i'm presuming it is in modem mode. To be honest, i didn't know you could use it for anything else.

The DM200 ships in modem/router mode.

It can't do much as a router beyond looking after your PC, but in that mode it can mess up your network and how the router behaves. That could be the cause of what you see.

The good news is that the DM200 plays nicely with BT's DSL.

There is support for the DM200, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> DM200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See the section Disable the Modem’s Routing Features and Use the Modem
as a DSL Modem Only.

While you are at it, check that you have the latest firmware on the DM200. It isn't something that you will want to do later. Too complicated.

When you have put the thing in modem only mode, you should restart the network as recommended.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

If things still look a bit wobbly, try a factory reset on the router and then go through that startup routing again.

There is a manual for the R9000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> Nighthawk X10 R9000 | AD7200 Smart WiFi Router| NETGEAR Support <<<<

The Installation Guide spells out the order for doing things.

Message 4 of 11
PTEPolish
Tutor

My apologies for the waited reply, I have come across a new problem trying to change my modem to modem only mode.

I’ve been able to connect to the internet with it through the router, but now when I use the, router login.net to access my modem, it wants me to install it all again. It keeps telling me my ISP login details are wrong, and I can’t get passed this point, so I firmly believe it’s the modem now and not the router that’s the problem.

I have contacted BT to make sure what their ISP login details are just to make sure I have it correct, and now I’ve come to a dead end.
Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

With the DM200 converted to a pure modem, the R9000 has to be re-configued to terminate the PPPoE connection, with the username as you got from BT and the mepty password. 

Message 6 of 11
PTEPolish
Tutor

The problem I’m having at the minute, is that I can’t seem to convert my DM200 into modem only mode, due to the fact that the ISP details don’t work for it.
Message 7 of 11

@PTEPolish wrote:

I’ve been able to connect to the internet with it through the router, but now when I use the, router login.net to access my modem, it wants me to install it all again. It keeps telling me my ISP login details are wrong, and I can’t get passed this point, so I firmly believe it’s the modem now and not the router that’s the problem.

You got the thing off on the wrong foot to begin with. So I'd start from scratch.

Disconnect your PC from the network.

Plug it into the DM200.

Factory reset the DM200.

Turn it off.

Turn off the PC.

Turn on the DM200.

Wait for the DSL light to come on.

Turn on the PC.

Wait for it to connect to the DM200 and set the modem up again.

Set it up to work with BT.

The login details are simple. The username is your BT email address. There is no password.

Follow the instructions to put the DM200 into modem only mode. This will conform that it is working as expected.

Now turn off the DM200 and the PC.

Factory reset the router.

Plug the router into the DM200 and the PC into the router.

Turn on the modem and wait for the internet connection to show that is is connected.

Turn on the router and wait for the internet LED to show.

Turn on the PC and set up the router in the usual way. Once again, you will have to feed it with the BT login details.

All being well you can now breathe a sigh of relief and get on with your life.

Message 8 of 11
PTEPolish
Tutor

I’ve followed your instructions as stated by yourself to the point I have to login in my ISP details, all 3 attempts have failed, I’ve used bthomehub@btbroadband.com at stated by BT, I’ve just my BT email, and I’ve just used my own email address that I use to login as well.

The log goes as follows;
1. The select country & ISP: UK, BT
2. DSL line plugged: yes
3: DSL line bonding: no
4. DSL line type: VDSL
5. Device protocol: 101*pppoe
6. Get response from isp: yes
7. Detect protocol[quick_scan]: 101*[success]
8. User input PPPoE account name: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. Acquired IP: yes[81.140.211.172]
10. Ping www.netgear.com: success
11. Ping 8.8.8.8: success
12. Ping 176.16.12.137: failed

This is for all 3 attempts.
Message 9 of 11
antinode
Guru

> The log goes as follows;

What, exactly, are we looking at here?

> 9. Acquired IP: yes[81.140.211.172]

That's BT.

> 10. Ping www.netgear.com: success
> 11. Ping 8.8.8.8: success
> 12. Ping 176.16.12.137: failed

What's special about the Saudi IP address?  I just reached it from
here, but that's not a criterion which would concern me much.  If you
can reach "www.netgear.com" and Google ("8.8.8.8"), then I'd say that
you have a working Internet connection.  What else doesn't work?

Message 10 of 11
PTEPolish
Tutor

I've finally cracked it!!!

recommed instructions for use.

step 1. i had 2 shots of vodka.

step 2. Before luaching the DM200 into a brick wall and clubbing it with a metal object, i decided to take it upon myself to click on the, do it yourself option, which a warning came up saying that i would need networking experiencee. I thought to myself what could possibly go wrong, this is my first time!

step 3. By doing step 2, it brought me onto the admin page, i found the link to update the firmware, so i updated it, while it was updating, i was reading all the update information, and theres a heading that clearly states, something along the lines of making the installation process easier.

step 4. i changed the modem from modem + router mode to modem only mode. (press apply)

step 5. i manually inputted the ISP that BT gave me (bthomehub@btbroadband.com), no password, then changed the dail up setting to always on which is just under the login. (press apply)

step 6. i plugged my router into the modem, and the internet came on, so before i proceeded, i had another shot of vodka, tried google on my PC, wouldnt work, so i tried to connect my phone, IT WORKED!!! i could now finally connect multiple devices, go me. I then proceeded to use safari on my phone, IT WORKED!!! So i turned my laptop off and then on, and the internet came straight up and worked. 🙂

step 7. Well since ive already opened this bottle of vodka, i now may as well drink to this unbelievable success from what i can only describe myself as a noob to this. 🙂

Thank you for all your time to help me out, may you all have a great weekend.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7