How do i file a complaint with NetGear?

SJSingleton
Follower

How do i file a complaint with NetGear?

I purchased a NightHawk ac4000 router last July.  I recently upgraded my service to 1gig but was not getting this through the router.  I contacted netgear last Saturday and was told that my free 90 day phone support had expired and if i needed help that I'd need to pay for at minimum 6 months of support.  He'd then help me troubleshoot the issue and, if it turned out that the problem was hardware related, he'd send me a new router (which was already covered under my hardware warranty).  Since there was no other way to see if it was truly a hardware issue I reluctantly agreed.  After 2 hours of troublehshooting he determined it was indeed a hardware issue and sent me a new router.  I don't agree with paying the $80.00 since the true issue was hardware related which was covered by the warranty.  It seems usury to tell you that you have warranty protection but the only way to use it is to pay additional monies so that they can determine if it is in fact covered.  I cannot find any portal for registering a complaint with NetGear.  Anyone have any information on how to do this beyond disputing the charge with my credit card company or filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 28

Re: How do i file a complaint with NetGear?

@SJSingleton wrote:

I purchased a NightHawk ac4000 router last July.

AC4000 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

@SJSingleton wrote:

After 2 hours of troublehshooting he determined it was indeed a hardware issue and sent me a new router. 

Warranty returns are not the same as paid for support. You do it yourself through the MyNetgear pages where you registered the device when you bought it.

If it was Netgear you talked to, and not some scam site that you found with a web search, you may have ended up with GearHead.

Netgear does not provide paid support. It farms that out through Gearhead.

GearHead Support

As the rules say, you get 90 days free support. After that, you pay or ask folks here. That costs nothing.

@SJSingleton wrote:

I don't agree with paying the $80.00 since the true issue was hardware related which was covered by the warranty.  

That certainly sounds sneaky. Maybe one of the Netgear moderators could step in.

@Christian_R, @ChristineT or @DexterJB maybe able to help.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 28
ChristineT
Admin

Good day @SJSingleton

Can you please send me a private message with your case number so I can investigate this issue and better assist you? I will ask that our customer care team reach out to you and help address your concerns! 

@michaelkenward  - Thanks for the mention! :-)

Best Regards,

Christine 

Message 3 of 28
Horseinc42
Aspirant

I just bought 2 of these extender after setting up the first one I could not get it to connect or even see it in the list of networks on my phone or other devices.  I went to the website and tried several of their recommendation even resetting the system.  I went and registered the item as it was recommended very early in this process. After a long and lengthy search I was finally able to find a support number that and I filed a service complaint with the company.  I call the number provided in the email that was finally returned with the service ticket number.  It initially took about 20 minutes for the first person to answer and she asked about three questions and said she need to refer this upward.  I was placed on an hour and half hold then was disconnected when it sounded like someone answered.  I called back a second time about three hours later toke 10 minutes to get the first person.  I asked to speak to a manager and was referred to a higher level of service and told that they could take care of my complaints this time I spent better than an hour on the phone.  When I orginally call both times it said how if I just registered my purchase I would get better service and since I did register this service one would think that your company would have a better track record.  I still have not been able to resolve this matter and am still on hold an hour and fifteen minutes second time now.  Very poor customer care and the product is non working thinking that it will never work luckly I can probably take it back to best buy along with the unopened unit. 

Product is actually a AX1800 4-Stream WiFi Mesh Extender bought 08-04-2020

Case No: 43173789 dtd 08/04/2020

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 4 of 28

@Horseinc42 wrote:

I just bought 2 of these extender after setting up the first one I could not get it to connect or even see it in the list of networks on my phone or other devices.  I went to the website and tried several of their recommendation even resetting the system. 

Which website?

@Horseinc42 wrote:

After a long and lengthy search I was finally able to find a support number that and I filed a service complaint with the company.  I call the number provided in the email that was finally returned with the service ticket number. 

There is no number that Netgear posts.

The way to get support is via the mynetgear support pages. (See link above.)

MyNETGEAR

The last, and most dangerous, thing you can do is to hit the search engines. Any contact  numbers you find there are almost certainly nothing to do with Netgear.

I fear that you maybe yet another victim of the scams that hits people who don't pay enough attention to what they are doing.

Re: Support Scam - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

@Horseinc42 wrote:I still have not been able to resolve this matter and am still on hold an hour and fifteen minutes second time now. 

You can always try this place if you get nowhere at MyNETGEAR. Don't forget, the world is going to hell in a coronavirus handcart, with a lot of inexperienced people working form home and trying to tackle network problems, while many support people are also remote working. You just have to join the queue in the knowledge that you are not alone.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 28
jtby
Aspirant

I am in the same boat.  Moreover, I purchaed the $89 support plan to try to get it to work.  But after 2 days of random settings changes and firmware downgrades, I just want to go a different route, and cancel support for a refund.  I am sure the problem is me and I am just dumb or something and netgear is a great company, but no problem I just want to go antoher route. But support will not even return my request to terminate support plan after only 2 days!  For the life of my I cannot figure out how to terminate this with netgear and move on. 

Message 6 of 28
sktn77a
Virtuoso

You don't!  The netgear "12 month" warranty is a joke.  After 90 days there's hardly any way to get warranty support/replacement without buying their extended support.  To anybody else with this problem, buy the support package, let them fix the problem, and then dispute the charge on your credit card!

(Let's see how long this post lasts before being deleted by the Netgear moderators!)

Keith

(2xWNR2000, 3xWNCE2001, FWAG114, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000)
Message 7 of 28

@sktn77a wrote:

You don't!  The netgear "12 month" warranty is a joke.  After 90 days there's hardly any way to get warranty support/replacement without buying their extended support.  

How did you try to start the warranty process?

The usual, and recommended, way is to do it through the MyNetgear link. (See above.) Register your product and then take it from there. You should see a link "Replace a faulty product", or something like that. 

Did you try that? If so, where did it go wrong? 

@sktn77a wrote:

To anybody else with this problem, buy the support package, let them fix the problem, and then dispute the charge on your credit card!

Sounds like an unnecessary faff to me, and a bad idea, when you can use this place to seek help. Did you try that? 

Just another user.

Message 8 of 28
docjoat
Guide

My C7800 Started failing less than one year after purchase. I contacted support for assistance. After several phone calls (all with excessive hold times) tech support agreed that the C7800 should be replaced and they issued a RMA email for completion by me to get the process moving. However, it seems that NG opened a second account for me using my first name and "No last name" as my last name. The two accounts and the abcesne of a real last name prevented the RMA from working. Multiple calls to tech support again to fix the account errors without success. Promised call backs and the matter would be fixed. No success. Then received an email stating that before an RMA could be reissued, I had 24 hours to submi photgraphic proof of the serial number of the c7800. Notified NG of a tech problem on my end uploading photo but finally did and received emailed confirmation. However, received another email stating the photo had never been recieved. This has been going on for over eight days now with no indication of a resolution. I have asked repeatedly to have my issue escalated beyond the sup. in tech support who kept failing to return phone calls. Tech support finally admitted that there is no escalation policy hence no path to escalate a customer complaint. Tech support confirmed that they have no access to complaint policy, no idea who to refer a complaint to, no ability to provide their own managers name, no customer service phone number, not even the ability to complain to the service center manager. When a supervisor finally provided a phone number for  "customer care", it was actually the number for NG's online store support. * days and more than 15 hours on the phone, I have no resolution and cant get beyond NG's firewall designed to prevent customers from reaching anyone with authority to resolve problems. Products generally have great reviews but would never recommend this company to anyone if you might ever need customer support.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 9 of 28
sobia6464
Tutor

I'm 100% DONE with Netgear. They have proven to have the absolute bottom of the line support. I will never reccomend them to anyone and I will be pulling all of their equipment out of our customer base. I work in an IT firm and we have a lot of clients that use these products. I am absolutely done with this garbage support. None of my clients should have to suffer because this company doesn't know how to operate.

Message 10 of 28
docjoat
Guide

I totally agree. Ive never had to deal with a company that makes it almost impossible to actually connect to a live person. No matter how good their products might be, the complete lack of customer service or an actual complaint policy does it for me. 

Message 11 of 28
docjoat
Guide

I started my journey through the maze by contacting tech support trying to trouble shoot the problem. It was Netgear that suggested that I proceed with a product exchange as my device was covered under warrenty. They sent me an RMA return email that couldnt be completed because of a dead hyperlink. I called them again and requested a new RMA form. They told me that I would have to provide a credit card number which would be charged if I didnt return the original device. From there, it was dowen hill. Contaxted them again and they informed me of a problem with my account. They promised that customer care would correct the issue. After that, customer care contaxted me stating that they needed a picture of the serial number or they wouldnt approve an RMA. I attempted to point out that the RMA was already approved. However, I was told I had 24 hours to return the photo to them. They acknoledged that they had hte photo and then denied my claim again stating they didnt have hte photo. I actually used the support function at Mynetgear.com. I contacted them several more times. One call connected to an agent and then placed and kept me on hold for 2.5 hours. Again, it seems absolutely impossible to actually speak to anyone other than the first line tech support people. This seems to have been done deliberately. I sent them another photo today but havent heard back from them. I dont anticipate hearing from them. The customer care is a joke. I have no idea who they are or where they are.  

Message 12 of 28
wcalifas
Virtuoso

Looks like you got the geek squad warranty from best buy, you didn't need to pay extra for support. All you had to do was take it back to Bestbuy and could have gotten a different extender for free.

Message 13 of 28
docjoat
Guide

I don't know about anyone else, but I've always dealt with Netgear. I'm now 9 days down the rabbit hole.  I was approved by Netgear for a warranty covered exchange of a faulty item. Within 24 hours of that approval, Netgear admitted an administrative mistake on their end and promised to correct it.  Didn't happen until I was misdirected to a very nice person in Netgear online store. She at least was able to fix my incomplete duplicate accounts. However, nothing else has gone right. I'm still waiting to hear from Netgear (obviously, I'm writing this with the foolish hope that a NG moderator might reach out and take responsibility), and remain doubtful anything will happen. At this point, I don't want an exchange. I want a refund and communicated that to customer care. Interesting note. You may be sent an email from a specific customer care person (name show on email) but any message you send back simply goes to customer.care@Netgear. There is no way to track e person who contacted you will be the same person who receives your message. I think 9 days is long enough. I encourage everyone with similar issues with Netgear to ask for refunds and not exchanges. 

Message 14 of 28
sbongard
Aspirant

Hi – I purchased this router less than a year ago. Granted the warrantee is 90 day (which is honesty a little stingy.) In any case, it has had some problems since it was new, but it was livable. It has always required an occasional reboot and has never really been reliable. Life is busy and I did not have the time to deal with this problem shortly after the purchase. I'm running the latest firmware. The 5Ghz band is no longer working and overall I’ve had a very poor ownership experience. Selling addition tech support on a relatively new product seems like very extremely poor customer service. I’ve owned several Netgear products without any issue. But this unit has simply not been reliable.

Can someone please help?

Thank you, Steve

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 15 of 28
docjoat
Guide

It took me two months, daily emails, continuous phone calls and a complaint to the BBB to get a real response from NetGear. They finally sent me a new Nighthawk and are supposed to be refunding my Gearhead fee. Unfortunately, since this took so long I had to buy a new modem/router. I now have an unopened nighthawk box and I’m still waiting on the refund. My feeling is that no one should have to go through this to obtain a warranty covered exchange. Don’t care how good the product is rated, this is not a company I would ever do business with again.
Message 16 of 28
sbongard
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. Wow. That’s disappointing. I’ve had good luck with previous Netgear products, but not this one. I may have to move on to a different company as well. We’ll see.
Message 17 of 28
sbongard
Aspirant

I totally agree. It seems like Netgear is only willing to provide minimal support on products that have an already skimpy 90 day warranty. If anyone does have Better Business Information, I’d be interested as well.
Message 18 of 28
docjoat
Guide

Email BBB of California to file a complaint. Just a quick FYI. I looked at my BBB case today. NetGear hasn’t responded to them either. What does that tell you?
Message 19 of 28
docjoat
Guide

First, it is important to take note of how many people are having the same kind of issues with customer support, warranty coverage or direct communication with Netgear. It means these are not isolated issues. Secondly, I think you need to separate the overall quality of the products sold by Netgear from the customer service they claim to provide. My issues are with the company. Like many companies, customer support is off shored at NG. I can deal with that. What I cant deal with is the firewalls they have erected around their company to prevent you from actually obtaining a meaningful resolution to your problem. I could even accept the limited product warranty and the need to purchase an extended warranty if they actually stood by their warranty and promoted service. I have never had to wait more than two hours on hold on a regular basis to reach tech support from any other company I have dealt with. I have never been told that there is no way (no policy or protocol exists) to escalate a complaint. I have never dealt with a company that offers no way to contact customer support (versus tech support) directly. I have never been told that there is no supervisor or manager (available or even overseeing an entire call support center). I have never been promised call backs which never happen with regularity. I have never had to deal with a company that the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing with this much regularity. I have never been promised remediation only to have the company deny it because it didn’t know that some other company employee has already approved it. I cant believe what a company says if they cant demonstrate the basic ability to track an issue. I have more case numbers than I know what to do with. I get better customer service from a company like Comcast which is known for horrible customer service.
Again, product quality is irrelevant if you cant get help when needed. My advice? Buy from someone else! 
Message 20 of 28

@sbongard wrote:

Granted the warrantee is 90 day (which is honesty a little stingy.)

Who told you that it is 90 days? It would be stingy if it were true. 

The free on-line support is for 90 days. (That's intended to get you up and running.)

The warranty is at least a year. More in countries that have decent consumer laws.

Is the Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0 listed in your footer involved in this in anyway? Or did you just click the first thing that popped up when you wrote your message?

This section is about Nighthawk WiFi Routers. A very different device.

Just another user.

Message 21 of 28
sbongard
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. I totally agree. I can’t imagine buying another netgear product. Customer service is completely unacceptable!
Message 22 of 28
sbongard
Aspirant

By the way, I can’t get any response at all, from a Netgear representative.
Message 23 of 28
docjoat
Guide

The above is my product. I was resetting my device 4-5 times a day. I tried working with tech support. I’ve gone through all of the steps that NG has asked of me. I had no expectations beyond those covered by warranty or gearhead contract. Tried to return product. It really doesn’t matter if NG reaches out to you because who you speak to today won’t be the same person you speak to tomorrow. There is no ownership, responsible person, no effective way to complain, emailed responses fail to address the issue in question, telephone hold times have remained unacceptable for months, no follow up, when messages are left you can never locate the person who called etc etc. if it was only me, I’d say bad luck. However, if you follow this thread, it becomes clear that this isn’t an isolated problem. It’s pervasive. If NetGear cared at all, there wouldn’t be these firewalls around the company designed to prevent resolution of anything other than a small issue. If there is a NetGear moderator, you would think someone would have stepped in by now.
Message 24 of 28

@docjoat wrote:
The above is my product.

Above?

Your footer (below) says C7800.

That's not a Nighthawk WiFi Router either.

@docjoat wrote:
If there is a NetGear moderator, you would think someone would have stepped in by now.

Not in a six-month old discussion started by someone else with completely different hardware.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Just another user.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E