• 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Follower

How do i file a complaint with NetGear?

I purchased a NightHawk ac4000 router last July.  I recently upgraded my service to 1gig but was not getting this through the router.  I contacted netgear last Saturday and was told that my free 90 day phone support had expired and if i needed help that I'd need to pay for at minimum 6 months of support.  He'd then help me troubleshoot the issue and, if it turned out that the problem was hardware related, he'd send me a new router (which was already covered under my hardware warranty).  Since there was no other way to see if it was truly a hardware issue I reluctantly agreed.  After 2 hours of troublehshooting he determined it was indeed a hardware issue and sent me a new router.  I don't agree with paying the $80.00 since the true issue was hardware related which was covered by the warranty.  It seems usury to tell you that you have warranty protection but the only way to use it is to pay additional monies so that they can determine if it is in fact covered.  I cannot find any portal for registering a complaint with NetGear.  Anyone have any information on how to do this beyond disputing the charge with my credit card company or filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau?

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted

Re: How do i file a complaint with NetGear?

@SJSingleton wrote:

I purchased a NightHawk ac4000 router last July.

AC4000 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

@SJSingleton wrote:

After 2 hours of troublehshooting he determined it was indeed a hardware issue and sent me a new router. 

Warranty returns are not the same as paid for support. You do it yourself through the MyNetgear pages where you registered the device when you bought it.

If it was Netgear you talked to, and not some scam site that you found with a web search, you may have ended up with GearHead.

Netgear does not provide paid support. It farms that out through Gearhead.

GearHead Support

As the rules say, you get 90 days free support. After that, you pay or ask folks here. That costs nothing.

@SJSingleton wrote:

I don't agree with paying the $80.00 since the true issue was hardware related which was covered by the warranty.  

That certainly sounds sneaky. Maybe one of the Netgear moderators could step in.

@Christian_R, @ChristineT or @DexterJB maybe able to help.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted

Good day @SJSingleton

Can you please send me a private message with your case number so I can investigate this issue and better assist you? I will ask that our customer care team reach out to you and help address your concerns! 

@michaelkenward  - Thanks for the mention! :-)

Best Regards,

Christine 

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just bought 2 of these extender after setting up the first one I could not get it to connect or even see it in the list of networks on my phone or other devices.  I went to the website and tried several of their recommendation even resetting the system.  I went and registered the item as it was recommended very early in this process. After a long and lengthy search I was finally able to find a support number that and I filed a service complaint with the company.  I call the number provided in the email that was finally returned with the service ticket number.  It initially took about 20 minutes for the first person to answer and she asked about three questions and said she need to refer this upward.  I was placed on an hour and half hold then was disconnected when it sounded like someone answered.  I called back a second time about three hours later toke 10 minutes to get the first person.  I asked to speak to a manager and was referred to a higher level of service and told that they could take care of my complaints this time I spent better than an hour on the phone.  When I orginally call both times it said how if I just registered my purchase I would get better service and since I did register this service one would think that your company would have a better track record.  I still have not been able to resolve this matter and am still on hold an hour and fifteen minutes second time now.  Very poor customer care and the product is non working thinking that it will never work luckly I can probably take it back to best buy along with the unopened unit. 

Product is actually a AX1800 4-Stream WiFi Mesh Extender bought 08-04-2020

Case No: 43173789 dtd 08/04/2020

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted

@Horseinc42 wrote:

I just bought 2 of these extender after setting up the first one I could not get it to connect or even see it in the list of networks on my phone or other devices.  I went to the website and tried several of their recommendation even resetting the system. 

Which website?

@Horseinc42 wrote:

After a long and lengthy search I was finally able to find a support number that and I filed a service complaint with the company.  I call the number provided in the email that was finally returned with the service ticket number. 

There is no number that Netgear posts.

The way to get support is via the mynetgear support pages. (See link above.)

MyNETGEAR

The last, and most dangerous, thing you can do is to hit the search engines. Any contact  numbers you find there are almost certainly nothing to do with Netgear.

I fear that you maybe yet another victim of the scams that hits people who don't pay enough attention to what they are doing.

Re: Support Scam - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

@Horseinc42 wrote:I still have not been able to resolve this matter and am still on hold an hour and fifteen minutes second time now. 

You can always try this place if you get nowhere at MyNETGEAR. Don't forget, the world is going to hell in a coronavirus handcart, with a lot of inexperienced people working form home and trying to tackle network problems, while many support people are also remote working. You just have to join the queue in the knowledge that you are not alone.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 5