How do you contact support if you cannot register a serial number?

T_i_g_g_e_r
Aspirant

How do you contact support if you cannot register a serial number?

I have a NETGEAR AC1900 WiFi Range Extender Model: EX6400 that I purchased from Amazon UK as a new product (supplied by Amazon EU S.a.r.l) on 06/01/2017. The unit arrived in shrink wrap and appeared to be a brand new product. When I try to register the serial number I get a message "Invalid Serial Number   This Serial number has already been registered in our system by a support representative" and I can go no further.

I've never registered this serial number, and I've never contacted NetGear support about this serial number.

How do I contact NETGEAR to resolve this as the system seems to rely in you registering a serial number to get through to the next stage.

Also. How can the serial number be registered?

Could it be that someone in support mistyped someone elses serial number and registered mine by mistake, or do I perhaps have a refurbished product that has been through NETGEAR support before I purchased it?

Advice welcome. I'm happy to PM the serial number to anyone who can help look up what might have happened.

Regards, Colin

Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: How do you contact support if you cannot register a serial number?

Hi Colin,

Worth a try ... Start here - https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx -> Get help on my Neetgear Product ... from here you are asked to enter a serial number. Here you might see if a product was registered with an earlier sales date before.

Otherwise, we need to get to make some attention on the Netgear community people here. 

-Kurt

Message 2 of 11
T_i_g_g_e_r
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but that's exactly the page where I enter my serial number and it gives me the message above. I've also signed-on to my NETGEAR account and I've tried to register from there. No luck either.

So hopefully some NETGEAR people will see this post and help me.

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@ElaineM - can you jump in here please?

Message 4 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@T_i_g_g_e_r Kindly send the following information below to our customer care team. You may reach them at customer.service@netgear.com. Use "Product Registration - Lastname, First name" as your subject line.

• Copy of the receipt
  • Serial Number
  • Model number
  • Name
  • Email address
  • Phone number
  • Date of purchase
  • Place of purchase
ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 11

@T_i_g_g_e_r wrote:

When I try to register the serial number I get a message "Invalid Serial Number   This Serial number has already been registered in our system by a support representative" and I can go no further.

There seems to be something wrong with the Netgear system. People turn up here almost daily with the same complaint.

Fortunately, you have already had the only advice that works, send your details to a Netgear support person, ElaineM.

It would be interesting to have an explanation as to why this happens so often.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 11
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some users thought that they have a letter o but it's a zero for the serial number. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 11

Aha, an oldie but goodie. I have seen that many times.

Don't computer people use the "slashed" 0 these days?

Many simply avoid 0 and O.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 8 of 11
T_i_g_g_e_r
Aspirant

Elaine,

Thanks. My serial number has only zeros in it and I only entered zeros. I know that because they're the same as the zeros in the MAC address. Same font. Same squashed zeros that are different than round letter Os. So that's not the reason.

Regards, Colin

Message 9 of 11
T_i_g_g_e_r
Aspirant

Elaine,

Got your message. I'll do as you've suggested to contact customer service. Thank you. I'll post the response back here. Colin

Message 10 of 11

There have been too many reports here of "preregistered" hardware for the 0, O thing to apply to everyone. And the issue is so obvious that most people will fix it.

It would also help if the registering site flagged that up as an issue. Does it?

It should even be easy enough for the website to detect errors like that, 0, O and 1,I. After all, Microsoft manages to run an "intelligent" registration system, so it can't be beyond the wit of the Netgear team to devise something that handles those "mistakes".

Just another user.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E