How does Channel (Auto) Work

RayNG
Luminary

How does Channel (Auto) Work

I was wondering someone could explain how the Auto setting for channel is supposed to work?

I have a LOT of wifi traffic around me. I just hooked up a new R7000 over the weekend and with Channel set to Auto it always seems to set to channel 1 which is absolutely the MOST used channel with the strongest signals.

I tried using the Genie app to manually set it to another channel; but it kept reverting back to Auto. I was able to set it to another channel using routerlogin.net.
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: How does Channel (Auto) Work

I would forget the genie (cr) app!

There is this misconception being touted by some, That just because a channel has other SSID's on it that these are in fact causing problems. [SIZE="5"]FALSE!!
[/SIZE]

I tested auto using two other routers, I changed the other two to use same channel as R7000, I forced it move each time I slammed it with these other two. It's about signal strength along with usage on the others and the R7000.

I test my neighbors, by setting several ap's to same channel as their using, it typical takes about 10 minutes for them to move.
Message 2 of 5
RayNG
Luminary

Thanks for the feedback. 😄
Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I forgot to mention I tested two ways, one as already stated and other using auto and rebooting after moving AP's to

1 & 11 = 6 on R7000

1 & 6 = 11 on R7000

11 & 6 =1 on R7000
Message 4 of 5
dave1977nj
Luminary

It dosen't work as of the latest firmware
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies