How hot is the top of your router?

Puffnstuff
Guide

How hot is the top of your router?

I am not at pleased with this router and I've been noticing that there's a lot of heat present on top of the body. So much so that I am convinced that this unit needs active cooling. I had to roll back to firmware 1.0.0.76 in order to stop if from dropping wireless clients, however I am seeing strange behavior from it again such as not loading pages completely. It happens most frequently at youtube where only the video will download while the rest of the page around it remains blank. Have any of you notice similar behavior from your r7500?

Message 1 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: How hot is the top of your router?

Can you say exactly how hot your router is, do you have a thermometer? If not can you estimate how hot it is e.g. too hot to hold your hand against for any length of time?
VE6CGX
Master

Hmmm,
When I had R7500 it was just luke warm compared to Asus RT-AC87U I have now.
Message 3 of 13
Puffnstuff
Guide

I am seeing the heat in the area around where the Netgear name appears on the top of the router. I can keep my hand in place at this area, however it is still very warm to the touch. What I will say is that my next router will have active cooling on it.
Message 4 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Be sure the location is not adding to problem.
Message 5 of 13
Puffnstuff
Guide

It is set out on the desk top all by itself with plenty of open space around the ventilation holes on the sides. I suppose next thing is I'll have to strap cooling fans to the sides.
Message 6 of 13
netwrks
Master

I purchased an AC Inifinty multipack(2) USB fans from Amazon. Put them under my 7000. Blowing upwards through the router.Temp dropped significantly. Router is in a well ventilated area.

Current Temperatures: 2.4ghz disabled - 5ghz 46 °C - CPU 48 °C
Previous Temps: CPU and Radio's in high 50's.
Message 7 of 13
Puffnstuff
Guide

I was looking at usb powered cooling fans for laptops yesterday and that might just be how I have to resolve this problem. Shame on netgear for not including active cooling on this router, especially considering how much it cost. This thing should have a 140mm silent fan mounted right on the top over the heatsink drawing the heat out of the unit.
Message 8 of 13
netwrks
Master

I would say NG isn't the only vendor with potential cooling issues. Home network gear is typically passive cooling.
Message 9 of 13
Puffnstuff
Guide

Prior to purchasing this router I was looking at the linksys wrt1900ac which has active cooling on it. Netgear should've put a cooling fan on this unit. Anyway I believe that a 200mm cooling pad fan underneath it should be enough to push cool air through the unit and reduce temperatures.
Message 10 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Puffnstuff wrote:
Shame on netgear for not including active cooling on this router, especially considering how much it cost.

If as you say the unit is not too hot to touch then the surface temperature will be less than 50 degrees centigrade, which would be within component tolerances.

I can’t say if your router temperatures are unusual, I don’t own that model, but it’s possible you have a hardware fault, have you contacted Tech Support about this?
Puffnstuff
Guide

No I haven't contacted tech support about this issue yet and I am still exploring laptop cooling pads to sit underneath it to reduce the temps. I am thoroughly convinced that the radio is the source of the heat and I need the broadcast strength set to maximum to cover the property.
Message 12 of 13
lablett
Aspirant

To be on the safe side as I do not want an issue I bought the following fans.

They are quiet and fit perfectly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E