Re: How to access the USB stick wirelessly? R7000 (4427667D73DF6)

geparks
Aspirant

How to access the USB stick wirelessly? R7000 (4427667D73DF6)

Hardware Version R7000
 Nighthawk R7000    
Firmware Version V1.0.9.32_10.2.34

I can not access the USB stick in the router wirelessly from my laptops. I can access it from the desktop (wired)

Opening 'Network' there is ;

Network Infrastructure (1) ;

R7000 (Gateway)         Openong this takes me to the NETGEAR genie 'http://www.routerlogin.net/start.htm'

What have I done or not done?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@geparks wrote:

Told us what the wireless device is, what OS it is running, and if that device can get to the Router via a Browser or an app?

If that device is a PC, and it is running Windows 10, you must enable SMB1 to see network shares.

Message 2 of 29
geparks
Aspirant

For security reasons, Microsoft recommends that you disable SMB1 immediately. Ransomware targets the vulnerabilities of the SMB service of the Windows operating system to propagate.

Message 3 of 29
IrvSp
Master

No kidding.... I've been trying to tell support that for months, deaf ears... they don't get it. In your link see Explorer Network Browsing, and that method doesn't work either.
Message 4 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@geparks wrote:

For security reasons, Microsoft recommends that you disable SMB1 immediately. Ransomware targets the vulnerabilities of the SMB service of the Windows operating system to propagate.

Yes and no - the vulnerabilities are fixed for years on Windows as well as on SAMBA. Disabling was just a quick fix...

@IrvSp wrote:

@geparks wrote:

If that device is a PC, and it is running Windows 10, you must enable SMB1 to see network shares.

As Netgear is ignorant it implement WSD (for discovery and name resolution) you have to keep the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Feature up - starting from some Windows 10 18xx builds _both_ the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Client _and_ the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Server (as they have relocated the NetBIOS name resolution to the server feature component.

We need this for the ReadySHARE discoverage - not for the SMB 1.0 protocol. If your router does support SMB 2.1 and SMB 3.0 (Netger has started to make these available to some Nighthawk/Orbi/Cable routers) the client will negotiate to the best SMB protocol standard available.

Some Nighthawk models have even got a control for the SMB protocols - permitting to disable the so "bad" SMB 1.0, and controls to offer protocol encryption:

R9000 SMB Protocol Selection.PNG

No idea if this is available on the current R7000 firmware.

And again - for the last time - we still need NetBIOS name resolution, which is part of the Windows 10 CIFS/SMB 1.0 Feature packages.

Message 5 of 29
geparks
Aspirant

This is my advanced page;

Message 6 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

@geparks wrote:

As Netgear is ignorant it implement WSD (for discovery and name resolution) you have to keep the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Feature up - starting from some Windows 10 18xx builds _both_ the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Client _and_ the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Server (as they have relocated the NetBIOS name resolution to the server feature component.

We need this for the ReadySHARE discoverage - not for the SMB 1.0 protocol. If your router does support SMB 2.1 and SMB 3.0 (Netger has started to make these available to some Nighthawk/Orbi/Cable routers) the client will negotiate to the best SMB protocol standard available.

No idea if this is available on the current R7000 firmware.

And again - for the last time - we still need NetBIOS name resolution, which is part of the Windows 10 CIFS/SMB 1.0 Feature packages.

I know for SURE both the R7000 and R8000 DO NOT have this. That is what MY case # to support is about. I have provided tons of proof that SMB 3.1 is INDEED running on those 2 Routers, SMB 1 is required on Win10's latest releases, and that WSD needs to be implemented. I have gotten at least 3 responses that told me it is a Windows problem, I must run SMB 1 to see the shares.

Latest response after I went back the same data and the need for WSD:

==========

Good day!

While waiting for the update from our Engineering team, I would like to confirm can you access the USB drive via ReadySHARE when SMBv1 is disabled on your Windows PC?

I am looking forward to your response.

==========

I've been telling them repeatedly I can't under NET VIEW and Windows Explorer!

Message 7 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

Latest response after I went back the same data and the need for WSD:

==========

Good day!

While waiting for the update from our Engineering team, I would like to confirm can you access the USB drive via ReadySHARE when SMBv1 is disabled on your Windows PC?

I am looking forward to your response.

==========

Had some Netgear engineers poking around my Windows 10 systems which don't show the NetBIOS host annoucement for the ReadySHARE device - even with the SMB 1.0/CIFS feature set in place.

The pure name resolution does why ever commonly work with the help of the SMB 1.0/CIFS feature set in place.

And (of course) they need to implement WSD on the routers. Looking to the left (say to the ReadyNAS) or to the right (other NAS makers like QNAP) would answer the question. No idea why this thing should take years - and we're still nowhere.

Checking the effective negotiated SMB dialect is rather easy - connect from Windows to the shared folder, open a privileged (run as administrator) PowerShell session, and use the commandlet Get-SmbConnection:

PS C:\> Get-SmbConnection

ServerName ShareName UserName Credential Dialect NumOpens
---------- --------- -------- ---------- ------- --------
server IPC$ localsystem\localuser username 3.1.1 1
server Public localsystem\localuser username 3.1.1 3

Note: This example is not taken while talking to a Nighthawk/ReadySHARE.

@IrvSp wrote:

I know for SURE both the R7000 and R8000 DO NOT have this.

It's a shame they fail to systematically implement features in a consisten way - leaving the users without control of the min and max protocol version in this case.

@IrvSp wrote:

That is what MY case # to support is about. I have provided tons of proof that SMB 3.1 is INDEED running on those 2 Routers, SMB 1 is required on Win10's latest releases, and that WSD needs to be implemented. I have gotten at least 3 responses that told me it is a Windows problem, I must run SMB 1 to see the shares.

In a way (at least) they are correct - the SMB 1.0/CIFS features must be enabled to have the NetBIOS functionality (discovery, name resolution) up to "see" something. Without this \\[IPaddress]\ must be used. But I'm not convinced they understand the very basics.

Ref the proof ... checking the effective negotiated SMB dialect is rather easy - connect from Windows to the shared folder, open a privileged (run as administrator) PowerShell session, and use the commandlet Get-SmbConnection:

Note: This example is not taken while talking to a Nighthawk/ReadySHARE.

No idea what is going on - I can't get to the shared folder of a R9000 (1.0.4.2 RC2) plugged USB 3.0 HDD at all - as of writing. As the communication got stuck, I've stopped sending emails to the Netgear black hole weeks ago.

They seem to be to operate out of control - worst project management (obvious we're facing product managers which don't understand the very basics), worst QA, worst customer communication possible. And the number of issues we see here in the Home community does proof this dear Netgear.

Message 8 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

In a way (at least) they are correct - the SMB 1.0/CIFS features must be enabled to have the NetBIOS functionality (discovery, name resolution) up to "see" something. Without this \\[IPaddress]\ must be used. But I'm not convinced they understand the very basics.

Ref the proof ... checking the effective negotiated SMB dialect is rather easy - connect from Windows to the shared folder, open a privileged (run as administrator) PowerShell session, and use the commandlet Get-SmbConnection:

They seem to be to operate out of control - worst project management (obvious we're facing product managers which don't understand the very basics), worst QA, worst customer communication possible. And the number of issues we see here in the Home community does proof this dear Netgear.

That is EXACTLY what I did and ran the same POWERSHELL command AND sent in that same data on an R8000 I have...

The answer, everytime, it is not a router problem but a W10 problem, you must run SMB 1...

They have NO clue....

Typical response back:

One before the above I posted:

======

This is XXXXXXX once again. I got an update from our Engineering team and they confirmed that the error "System error 1231 has occurred" is not related to the router. I would like to confirm once again when you disable SMB1 on any of your Windows PC, are you able to access your USB drive via ReadySHARE?

========

And I went into great lengths to try and explain it again.

Before that one:

================

This is XXXXX once again. I got an update from our Engineering team and they said that the error "System error 1231 has occurred" is not related to the router. The "net view" command relied on the Computer Browser Service. The easiest way to test this is by bypassing the router. For example, PC ---- Switch --- Internet. Please see the test below:

Download link: http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=MtBxv2V0HR
File name: R8000 Test.docx

Please let me know if you have further questions.

=====================

That link no longer has the file. I did contact a Moderator here and had this exchange that was sent to SUPPORT and they DID get it and sent it onto the next level which got the SAME response, not a router problem:

================

Good day! 

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Prior the June 23rd email, did you receive her email on June 9? Incase you missed it: 

"I got an update from our Engineering team. This is not a bug because the R8000 supports SMBv2. Kindly enable "SMB 1.0/CFIS File Sharing Support" under Windows Feature and try again."

I already informed L2 XXXX you have message me and you asked for an update. 

Regards,
XXXXXXX
Community Team

XXXXX, thanks...

No, I did NOT get the message!

However THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!!!  SMB1 has been turned off on Windows 10 and MS says NOT TO USE IT!

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-by-default-in-windows for details... and from it:

=============

To work around this issue, contact the manufacturer of the product that supports only SMBv1, and request a software or firmware update that support SMBv2.02 or a later version. For a current list of known vendors and their SMBv1 requirements, see the following Windows and Windows Server Storage Engineering Team Blog article:

=============

There is NO SMB 2 running on my R7000 or R8000. If it were I would NOT need to enable SMB1!

I sent in PROOF (which I assume they got). Using POWERSHELL I ran a command that shows the SMB version running on READYSHARE:

========================

PS C:\> get-smbconnection

ServerName ShareName           UserName               Credential                                                             Dialect   NumOpens
---------- ---------                                 --------                         ----------                                                                   -------      --------
readyshare USB_2.0_storage  IXXX\XXXX            MicrosoftAccount\iXXXXXXXXX             3.1.1      1

====================================

Only Version 3.1.1 (Windows 10, V1803) of SMB is running. Documentation for the command, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/smbshare/get-smbconnection?view=win10-ps  if you need to understand what it reports.

More PROOF!!!

=============

PS C:\> Get-SmbConnection -ServerName readyshare | Select-Object -Property *

SmbInstance           : Default
ContinuouslyAvailable : False
Credential            : MicrosoftAccount\iXXXXXX
Dialect               : 3.1.1
Encrypted             : False
NumOpens              : 1
Redirected            : False
ServerName            : readyshare
ShareName             : USB_2.0_storage
Signed                : False
UserName              : IXXX/XXXX
PSComputerName        :
CimClass              : ROOT/Microsoft/Windows/SMB:MSFT_SmbConnection
CimInstanceProperties : {ContinuouslyAvailable, Credential, Dialect, Encrypted...}
CimSystemProperties   : Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimSystemProperties

========================

This IS a serious problem. JamesGL has even PUBLICALLY stated the SMB1 is NOT needed in the forums.

MS has a 'clearing house' for devices that do not require SMB1 support,  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2017/06/01/smb1-product-clearinghouse/ and ONLY 1 Netgear hardware is on that list!

Might want to review this as well, https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/, MS's declaration NOT TO USE SMB1!!!!.

Why are 'you' telling people to use SMB1? It IS a SECURITY risk!!!!

Someone doesn't seem to understand this!

====================

More links I sent to Support:

===========

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2017/06/02/smb-1-use-list.aspx

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2017/05/18/more-advice-on-disabling-windows-smb-1.aspx

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/security-updates/SecurityBulletins/2017/ms17-010

============

And I STILL GET THE SAME ANSWER, not a Router Problem but W10, enable SMB 1!!!

FRUSTRATING to say the least.

Message 9 of 29
schumaku
Guru

As I said - and not blaming first and probably second level support working mostly from knowledge base systems - their engineering and worse the product management does neither understand basic technology nor are they able to adopt feature sets to the changing world. See for example the lack of firewall rules for incoming connections Internet/WAN->Router resp. Internet/WAN->via NAT port forwarding->LAN. A basic feature the comoetition has for decades. Even the first Netgear routers ever (ZyXEL ZyNOS ODM) had it decades ago. 

Yes, I can hear the management "this is not required for home users" - however they failed to explain why a consumer should be able to block the LAN IP 192.168.x.y for port z for outgoing connections - this is named service blocking.

Or we can talk about the ***** (self-censored) limitation to have users share (and store) admin credentials for shared folder access - and why we still don't have a basic user management for the router access (being for SMB, FTP, ...) neither on Nightawk, nor on Orbi, nor on Orbi Pro, nor on cable routers, ....

Or a newer one which has just hit my eyes - they state at least one shared folder must retain non-authenticated read access for the Media Server function - complete B.S. as the DLNA Media Server does not have to care about shared folder and their SMB access rights:

R9000 1.0.4.3 DLNA requires share read open.PNG

Or let's talk about the still borked community upload capability hiding the [DONE] button an average (normal sized, normlly scaled) displays - the recent downtime used for whatever community manteinance was not used to fix things. So the issues are by far not limited to the router engineering (nd thier ODM), but also in their Web "design" standards - @ChristineT ... half a year since we talked about this and some similar destructions by "design" to the SaaS platform. Tjis is on a 15+ screen, Windows 10,  FullHD 1920x1080px, 100% scale (default is 125% by Microsoft!), about 80% of the screen size. And there are certainly users with lower spec'ed displays making use of this community: 

Netgear community - Upload Done Hidden.PNG

Again, Netgear must should change a lot of KPI for thir employees - things are really, really, REALLY wrong.

And I have more examples at hand.

Message 10 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

There is NO SMB 2 running on my R7000 or R8000. If it were I would NOT need to enable SMB1!

Afraid, under old men I have to disagree. Most newer/updated Nighthawk SAMBA implementations allow negotiation to any dialect, from 1.0 over 2.0, 2.1.x, over 3.0.x, to 3.1.1. Except of very few Netgear router models (like the R9000) there are no user controls to set the min protocol (SAMBA default is 1.0) and max protocol (SAMBA default is the highest the implementation does support, so 3.1.1 as of writing). So yes, the routers can run say SMB 2.02 or SMB 2.1 for example - if the client does not allow a higher version.

Yes, many Netgear routers are still limited to  SMB 1.0 (outdated SAMBA in place, not updated for decades - that's not good either) - however on routers supporting SMB 2.x and SMB 3 protocol dialects, we still need the SMB 1.0/CIFS Windows Feature (on Windows 10) for the f*****g NetBIOS service discovery and name resolution.

Borrowed from a consumer and business NAS maker Web UI ...

NAS SMB max min SMB and Access Based Enumeration controls.PNG

...it's not asked to much. And yes, they allow manage users, and are not limited to admin aka root or worse UID:0.

Message 11 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku, can't see your inline pictures until a moderator appoves them. Of course you included more than one and with this '******' forumware you can only attach 1 file to be seen on the right immediately.

As for the DLNA statement.... well, here is the RUB...

You see it is all about the APPS!!! Yes, once you have access permission from an OS, like Windows Credentials, you can put UID and P/W's on the DLNA folder. However, when using some other platforms, that existed well before NG started putting DLNA via USB on its routers, they are 'used' to no UID or P/W required. Discovered this when I locked some folders from access on my USB drive on the router. Well, my SMART TV and iPad's DLNA Clients had no provisions for UID or P/W and just reported could not connect. Suspect that is why?

Also, why not protection by different UID and P/W for each folder?

I'll come back again to see the pictures you included.

Message 12 of 29
IrvSp
Master

Again, can't see the pictures...

I don't know why I said SMB2? Probably meant SMB1?

My iPad DLNA Client has no problems connecting with Samba... so that isn't a problen.

Still, Support has a problem and they don't understand what and why, and probably what to do about it...

Message 13 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

Again, can't see the pictures...

Don't worry, the naked blonde isn't hot at all 8-) Time (read Netgear moderation) will make them appear - another silly config on thie SaaS (in-line images are under mandatory moderation, while attachments aren't) @ChristineT please. 

@IrvSp wrote:

I don't know why I said SMB2? Probably meant SMB1?

Reads to me this was coming form the context - it does not matter.

@IrvSp wrote:

My iPad DLNA Client has no problems connecting with Samba... so that isn't a problen.

DNLA (UPnP AV) does not make use of any SMB protocol. If your DLNA client does offer SMB support it's no longer DLNA.

@IrvSp wrote:

Still, Support has a problem and they don't understand what and why, and probably what to do about it...

Yes, same attitude all over. Nowadays first level support does work like a call center - from scripts, based on poor to non-existing IT training, and lack of any IT education - and neither the will nor the time to listen, read, and learn.

We need the product managers to communicate here, to understand, and change in time. We need product managers able to read and understand security reports, vulnerability publications, to be in line with the publications and notifications of coming-up design changes being by Microsoft, or by Apple.

It can't be a few senior community members time and effort - unpaid, hours and hours every day - trying to talking to Netgear support, trying to talk to Netgear people, without official contacts ...  considering there are full time and well paid professionals in the food chain. Amazing, they don't manage to pick up professional resources.

Message 14 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku, ahh, see pictures and see you have an R9000. It seems to be one of the few with a new Genie... also might actually have some updates that older routers do not, like the SMB selection.

Why NG has not gone to a standardized Genie? I know there are different features due to h/w, but some are in all routers...

Message 15 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

@schumaku, ahh, see pictures and see you have an R9000. It seems to be one of the few with a new Genie... also might actually have some updates that older routers do not, like the SMB selection.

Gee, no new Genie here on the R9000 yet, too. I've hit some heads hard enough so the controls were added along with the update of SAMBA, proftpd, almost in time update of dnsmasq, ... as all routers run the very same features, being for DNS, being for SMB/CIFS, being for ReadyCloud, and so on. 

@IrvSp wrote:

Why NG has not gone to a standardized Genie? I know there are different features due to h/w, but some are in all routers...

Nothing I'm talking of here is specific to the hardware. It's all pure applicaiton layer. Again, Netgear does not have any processes (or product managers) ensure things are updated when security vulnerabilities appear. And even less when technolgy updates around the small Netgear planet happen, like Microsoft abandoning NetBOIS along woth SMB 1.0/CIFS as annoucned years ago. Look at the mess - except of the direct family members (like R9000/R8900) not two models are made the same. And each model does develop it's own life because of point fixes applied, no unified code base. A nightmare to maintain. And I'm not talking of the even bigger nightmares the RDs get from the SoC makers with crappy Kernels, evne more pre-historical tools, utulities, toolchains, ...   

Message 16 of 29
schumaku
Guru

Ref. DLNA/UPnP AV: No, it does never ever need any authentication. Never. If it does it's not DLNA.
Message 17 of 29
geparks
Aspirant

The question still remains

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router

To RECAP;

I went to Office Depot to purchase a new more powerful wireless router. The salesman assured me this would have all the power needed for a 2 story house to run all our laptops, rokus and the new 'Ring'. Said it was simply plug and play. Sold me a USB cord to plug into the printer, and could use any of my USB storage devices to share and transfer files between computers.

This desktop is plugged into port 1.

A USB storage stick plugged into USB 2.0 port

Printer into USB 3.0 port

After downloading a file form NG can see the printer, can not see the USB stick.

DT WIN7 OS

LTs WIN10 OS

I am NOT computer literate. Most everything posted is a forien language to me, so . . .

if anyone can tell me;

Open ##########

do ########

'select ######

step by step I will be VERY GREATFUL.

Thank you all for your input, but, I really do not give a s##t about R8000, R9000 it means absolutely nothing to me or my problem. 

Message 18 of 29
schumaku
Guru

Don't worry, the fucntionality, the requirements, the settings for all Netgear routers, specifically the Nighthawk models, are very similar.

One thing which help you (and the community) is the ability to see what you see. Windows does come with a utility named Snipping Tool - click on the Windows main menu icon (bottom let by default), and start typing Snipping Tool ... launch it when you want to show a screen, click-hold-and-drag-over the area you want to show, and use File -> Save as ... stick with .png type - these screen captures can be uploaded, it's under mandatory moderation (even for us old crows with thousands of posts - they don't appear to trust us, scared of naked women or bad jokes on software engineering (but hey, it's all true...):

Snipping Tool.PNG

Next on your Windows 10 system - same location - search for Windows Features - once it shows, click on it, in the WIndows Features list, scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS, open the tree, select all fields, and [Apply]. Again, we need this because of Microsoft dropped NetBIOS host announcement and name resolution (along with SMB 1.0/CIFS protocol), _and_ Netgear is ignorant (or extremely slow) for making WSD available on thier routers - as of writing, and years after the Microsoft annoucement that the day will come - still not a single one does come with WSD support.  

Windows Features - SMB 1.0-CIFS all ticked.PNG

Reboot the Windows 10 system - as it's (rarely) required.

Now either you should see the router as "ReadySHARE" in Windows Explorer - Network - in the Computer section. This does (why ever) seem to work just randomly - here it does not show up (just to other Computers with storage services):

Windows Explorer - Network - Computer.PNG

If it does not show up so it can't be clicked - in the Windows Explorer path line, type \\readyshare (or for the sake of it alternately the router LAN IP, like \\192.168.1.1 ) and press Enter. Voila, here is the Shared Folder configued (hopefully) on ReadsSHARE:

Windows Explorer - Network - type readyshare.PNG

To acess it, you must configure the ReadySHARE Shared Folder for read and read-write for the admin user (the only user the Nighthawk are suppoting for now) - the "guest" acess (non-authenticated access) is by default no longer possible by Microsoft Windows (for good reasons...):

Shared Folder admin admin.PNG

Don't worry - we make you a computer literate now. Thank you for reading and following!

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 19 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku,

Yes, in some cases it is h/w, like the different way SMART CONNECT was implemented between the R7000 and R8000. Dual 5Ghz bands are h/w, not a f/w item.

Things like SMB vesions to run, that is f/w related.

Message 20 of 29
IrvSp
Master

Sorry for hijacking your problem...

@geparks wrote:

A USB storage stick plugged into USB 2.0 port

Printer into USB 3.0 port

After downloading a file form NG can see the printer, can not see the USB stick.

I have a question about this, and it will help understand what the problem could be. Need some information and you to try something.

As Kurt answered above, what you can do, it might not be enough. If it works fine, if not try some more troubleshooting.

First W7 should always have SMB 1 enabled. It is not the problem. The W10 PC is, as without SMB 1 running it will basic kill the ability to use sharing. With that in mind and help nail this down, again, if what Kurt suggested didn't work, try these and let us know what was the result.

• With the W7 DT off (powered off)  can the W10 LT see both the printer (powered on) and USB stick?
  • With the W7 DT off and the Printer powered off can the W10 LT see the USB stick?
  • With the W7 DT off and the USB stick removed from the router can the W10 LT see the printer?

I would expect the last one to work for use. Different method of using a printer vs. a stick you share. One thing that might have helped prior would have been the make and model of printer and USB stick (size especially).

Now to confirm that W10 is really the problem, we'd need to do the reverse test.

• With the W10 LT off (powered off)  can the W7 DT see both the printer (powered on) and USB stick?
  • With the W10 LT off and the Printer powered off can the W7 DT see the USB stick?
  • With the W10 LT off and the USB stick removed from the router can the W7 DT see the printer?

I'd expect the answer to be YES for these. This would 'prove' that the W10's lack of SMB1 basically was the problem as it stopped the 'computer browser' function from working which kill sharing.

Again, only need to do these test IF the enabling of SMB 1 that Kurt asked you to do doesn't fix it.

Also, routers ship with different levels of firmware. Depending on the age (how long the store had it) and how set up it is possible you do NOT have the latest firmware. When you open Genie in a Browser and enter 192.168.1.1 you'll be asked for the router's UserID and Password, should be on the label on the bottom of the router, use those to open the router up and you'll see the basic screen, what is the firmware version, it is on the upper right. Starts with V 1. usually.

Again, this is ONLY needed if Kurt's post didn't help.

Message 21 of 29
schumaku
Guru

@IrvSp - highly appreciate more than one OM behind these customer issues, very useful information as always, thank you my friend on this way!

The thing with that printer is unclear to me - the user said he wired it to the router USB 3.0 port, while the Ethernet LED is not on, and he installed the USB over network software provided by Netgear. And mentioned that from this point on the printer became visible on both the WIn 7 and 10 system. So this could be USB sharing over the network, but also pure network. Thus I'm looking forward to see some screenshots. 

Message 22 of 29
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku,

The OP didn't state the printer make and model, so we are both guessing why USB was used at all? Some printers, especially older ones only have one way to connect it to a PC, USB as I recall. Now why the OP didn't have that cable? Who knows? Original post DIDN'T even mention a printer? I now see the f/w version was posted there though.

I think the printer is a 'red herring', has nothing to do with the problem. You can share a printer via READYSHARE, which is seems the OP has done. Why it was done that way? Like I said, maybe USB was the only way to share a printer? Long before wireless printers were common place I shared a printer connected to one PC with another by sharing the resource on the PC the printer was connected too. Also could use a PRINT SERVER connected to a ROUTER. READYSHARE PRINTER is basically a Print Server. Doubt it requires SMB 1 as printers aren't really shared but used a different way as an individual device you install on the PC's and phones/tablet to be able to print with them.

Without the printer make and model known we don't know why USB was used vs. wireless or ethernet connection?

Screenshots are not always needed, sometimes simple CUT and PASTE from a COMMAND PROMPT works well too, and appear immediately with the message. Like this:

====================

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\READYSHARE           readyshare
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare

readyshare

Share name       Type  Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movies           Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password
USB_2.0_Storage  Disk           read:--------;write:------
The command completed successfully.

C:\>dir \\readyshare\usb_2.0_storage
 Volume in drive \\readyshare\usb_2.0_storage is USB_2.0_Storage
 Volume Serial Number is 6F06-9E72

Directory of \\readyshare\usb_2.0_storage

03/16/2018  02:25 PM    <DIR>          $RECYCLE.BIN
06/05/2018  09:25 AM    <DIR>          .
01/01/2015  01:00 AM    <DIR>          ..
12/25/2017  12:10 PM    <DIR>          Acronis Backup
11/10/2016  08:23 AM         5,453,003 ATI2016_userguide_en-US.pdf
08/16/2016  05:14 PM        50,449,456 dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
05/12/2018  01:39 PM    <DIR>          netgear_downloader
06/13/2018  07:59 PM    <DIR>          Pictures
05/26/2018  07:28 PM                19 qc
03/05/2012  06:44 PM         1,644,118 SeagateExpansion.ico
01/13/2016  10:00 PM           611,096 seatools-for-windows-en-us.pdf
05/12/2018  11:25 AM    <DIR>          share
05/12/2018  01:37 PM    <DIR>          System Volume Information
01/14/2016  11:47 AM    <DIR>          VProRecovery
               5 File(s)     58,157,692 bytes
               9 Dir(s)  1,208,285,048,832 bytes free

================

See, MOVIES can't be protected, as that is what DLNA server provides. OK to protect for my PC's as they use credentials to access that share, but our iPad's and Smart TV's have no capability to do that as the DLNA Clients are not coded to handle UID and PW requests. What is protected is the rest of the drive. Mostly ALL backups and I don't want guests possibly deleting some by mistake (I don't bother turning on Guest Access) as PC are protected sharing.

Message 23 of 29
schumaku
Guru

He did - different post however - HP Photosmart 2600 when I remember right, look there -> printer & desktop not accessible from laptops or notebook or pixel 8-)

Message 24 of 29
IrvSp
Master

Ahh, yes, remember that one, looked at the wrong printer manual.

I see initially the printer make and model wasn't provided there either.

So the question becomes why USB connection method. Of all the direct connect possibilities, it would be the last one I'd use. Wireless first is the easiest.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements