Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to change SSID on router

Emanres
Aspirant

How to change SSID on router

I have a Netgear C6900 cable modem, and a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 v3. The router is one the other end of my house and connected to the cable modem with an ethernet cable. I want to use the router essentially as a range extender. (In fact it would be great if my devices could switch between connections based on signal strength as I move around the house, but I don't know if that is possible.)

When I originally set up the devices, the router automatically broadcast the same SSID as my cable modem, with the added word "router" in the SSID names.

After reconfiguring my home network, I find that I am only able to set the SSID's that my cable modem broadcasts, but not the SSID's that the router broadcasts. The router is broadcasting its default SSID's (Netgear84). Even after making sure that I am connected to my router (not my modem) and accessing the set-up page, I do not see options for setting the SSID broadcast by the router.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How to change SSID on router

@Emanres wrote:

Thank you for replying! I wasnt aware of the term "mesh device" but it sounds like that is what I actully want. What device(s) could Ireplcae mine with to accomplish this? have a 100gbs connection and I dont want the equipment to slow it down.

I do not know how to check the firmware on the router.

I did selcet AP mode during set up.

Maybe every time I try to access the router, I am acully accessing the modem, so I am not seeing the option for changing the SSID's on the router. Im not sure how to tell.

I doubt you have 100gbps. Maybe 100mbps. 🙂

there's a basic mesh setup like running a mesh extender. (see netgears extender page, they're labeled mesh)

Or a true mesh setup like orbi where its a fully integrated system with router/satellites. 

Firmware on the router should be on the top right or status page when you log into it.

You should be able to get the ip address for the Netgear device by logging into your primary router and looking at the attached device page (or equivelent for your router). 

Worst case? Factory reset the netgear device. Then during setup, change the ssid/password to what you want. Then place it in ap mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. what firmware is on the router?

2. What mode did you put the R6700 in? AP mode, router mode, what did you setup? 

You're best bet is to setup the R6700 in AP mode (hardwired in like you have it). You can set the ssid's the same. Because neither device is a mesh device, you're devices might be "sticky" in that they don't as easily roam but you will be able to move throughout the house. 

When the R6700 is in AP mode, you should be able to change the ssid by accessing it. Just do it fromt he browser and not the app for ease. 

Message 2 of 5
Emanres
Aspirant

Thank you for replying! I wasnt aware of the term "mesh device" but it sounds like that is what I actully want. What device(s) could Ireplcae mine with to accomplish this? have a 100gbs connection and I dont want the equipment to slow it down.

Maybe every time I try to access the router, I am acully accessing the modem, so I am not seeing the option for changing the SSID's on the router. Im not sure how to tell.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

@Emanres wrote:

I doubt you have 100gbps. Maybe 100mbps. 🙂

there's a basic mesh setup like running a mesh extender. (see netgears extender page, they're labeled mesh)

Or a true mesh setup like orbi where its a fully integrated system with router/satellites. 

Firmware on the router should be on the top right or status page when you log into it.

You should be able to get the ip address for the Netgear device by logging into your primary router and looking at the attached device page (or equivelent for your router). 

Worst case? Factory reset the netgear device. Then during setup, change the ssid/password to what you want. Then place it in ap mode. 

Message 4 of 5
Emanres
Aspirant

lol, yes 100mbs. Thanks for all the information!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7