Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to change an existing IP address reservation on R7800?

itm
Tutor
Tutor

How to change an existing IP address reservation on R7800?

I've installed a Nighthawk R7800 to replace an old Asus router. I had alot of IP address reservations on the previous router which I'd like to preserve. The problem is that, when I booted the Netgear router, it assigned dynamic IP addresses to alot of them. I tried to change one of the address reservations (in the LAN setup page) - i.e. I entered the MAC address and the desired IP address for one of the unwanted dynamically-assigned addresses, but I got an error message (something like "invalid operation"), and that device never appeared on the list again (and still has its new, unwanted IP address).

I've tried power cycling the device in question a number of times but it no longer appears in the list when I try to add a new reservation.

Is it actually possible to define a new address reservation when a device has already been assigned a new, dynamic IP address?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 5
zylstra
Aspirant

Re: How to change an existing IP address reservation on R7800?

I just realized that my answer below is not an answer to your exact problem, but it may help others who are looking for instructions to change the IP address of a device connected to a Netgear router.

See https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router .

If the IP address of the device whose address you want to change was automatically assigned, you probably have to change the IP address setting on that device as well.  For a Synology NAS, for example, see https://www.spacerex.co/set-static-ip-synology/.

Message 2 of 5

@itm wrote:

Is it actually possible to define a new address reservation when a device has already been assigned a new, dynamic IP address?

It doesn't deal with the issue in hand, but where possible I find it easier to fix the UP address on the device itself.

I do this on things like access points, NAS storage, camera hubs and the like.

Not only does this achieve what I want, it means that I can replace the router and not have to worry about reserving IP addresses.

Message 3 of 5
zylstra
Aspirant

Ah, so the IP address is set on the device side rather than router side.  Good info.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 5

@zylstra wrote:

Ah, so the IP address is set on the device side rather than router side.  Good info.  Thanks!

That certainly works here for some devices.

On an NAS for example, I can tell it to use a Static IP Address. Something like 192.168.1.19.

Not all network stuff has the Static option.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7