Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to configure prior to connecting to cable provider

3dmaxer
Tutor

How to configure prior to connecting to cable provider

Hi,

Just purchased a cm1200 for a home i'm closing on shortly and would like to configure it prior to installing and activiting with the service provider.  Home is in a different state and I will have a short period of time from closing to having to fly back and wanted pre-configure it to save time while at new house.

Is there a way to to this, or must the unit establish with the ISP before being able to configure it?

Thanks

-Bob

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: How to configure prior to connecting to cable provider

Will the local ISP activate your service? 

If they will, you could have them put the mac address in for the modem and make sure the cable is ran to the location. 

then you'd just need to show up and connect. It'd still need to activate/provision itself. 

Who's your ISP going to be? i've used xfinity and modem activate takes me under 10 minutes to do (provided the service is connected)

Message 2 of 6
3dmaxer
Tutor

ISP will be Spectrum.  I have about 3 hours time while there to setup Internet, deploy a few wireless cameras and change some locks.  So I need to configure DDNS, and and some port forwarding on top of activiation.  Any one of these not go perfect, and I'm not going to be able to complete what I need while I'm there.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

That will be tight on time. 

I haven't dealt with spectrum a whole lot so not sure how long it will take. 

I will comment that I have seen a few issues with the cm1200 on spectrum. Not sure if its the provisioning they use but it seems when people have issues with the cm1200, its on spectrum. 

Message 4 of 6
3dmaxer
Tutor

Interesting, I did check with the spectrum website for authorized modems, and the CM1200 is on it, and not even restricted to a specific version.  I guess I can update this thread as to how this all goes next month.

Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network | Spectrum Support

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

It is authorized and I'm sure it works great for the majority. Its just something I've noticed from the forums. 

And spectrum is less than helpful since its a 3rd party device. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7